GN15 5' 8" Figure

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Bill Reynolds
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Cycle touring, Garden Railways, Motorcycling, Gn15 and 7/8" scale.

GN15 5' 8" Figure

Postby Bill Reynolds » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:27 pm

I am starting a new Gn18 small layout and capitalising on my past large scale tramway, l need to know how high would a Gn18...5 foot 8 inch figure would be in imperial? I need the information as the figure size helps with making the proper window size, plus height off the ground and door lintel height.
Bill Reynolds..... Amalgamated Conserves....Our jam's are wonderfull...(try a spoon!)

backwaterscotland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Emett-esque GN15

Re: GN15 5' 8" Figure

Postby backwaterscotland » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:24 am

Hi Bill,
It will depend what scale you are using for Gn18.

1:22.5 - 3 inches
1:24 - 2.83 inches
1:25 - 2.72 inches

Andy 8)

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:33 am

The most commonly available figures are those for half inch or 1/24th scale as this is used by military and vehicle modellers. They are also the best designed people and easiest to customise. They usually come with separate bodies, limbs and heads and if you buy a kit with two or more figures, then you can swap limbs from one to another. They are usually made from the same polystyrene as other plastic kits.Just google 1/24 figures and a vast range will appear.

Then of course there are the cartoony and, in my view, poorly modelled, ones to which I would not introduce my barge pole let alone place it between me and them.

Chris

Bill Reynolds
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Cycle touring, Garden Railways, Motorcycling, Gn15 and 7/8" scale.

Postby Bill Reynolds » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:45 am

Thanks, Chris and Andy...for the informative replies. I asked that question as my previous line was 7/8ths. scale on 32mm track. On that scale figures are usually expensive to buy so buying cheap figures of differing sizes is required! (All with different sizes) l purchased some plastic Gn15 figures in the past and have just realised that as they come ready to fettle and paint, they also have a ...SET...size!! So all can do really is fettle...and paint. When l mentioned Gn18 for this scale l was harking back to 7/8ths. scale, as on THAT scale l was a 'rubber scaler'...i.e. what's a few eights of a inch here and there??!
Bill Reynolds..... Amalgamated Conserves....Our jam's are wonderfull...(try a spoon!)

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:23 pm

I think that it would be possible to extract a few millimetres from the height of the kit figures I have suggested by cutting at the waist and thighs. Alternatively, you could probably add some at the same places to suit the space you have on footplates or door ways. A certain amount of re-sculpting would be necessary but gentle scraping with a scalpel is really all that would be required.

Chris

Return to “Modelling Matters”