Gnew Gn15 Estate Railway Modules

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

DCRFAN 3
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Gnew Gn15 Estate Railway Modules

Postby DCRFAN 3 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:07 am

A winter week on leave with rain, rain and yet more rain :cry: my thoughts strayed to making a couple of new modules using an expanded resin insulation board I've had in the garage for several months. The foam board was split in half to give two boards 800 mm x 300mm then off to the hardware shop for a few sections of dressed pine to glue to the resin board to protect the edges and provide some height under the boards for wiring etc. The resulting boards are light for transport in a small car yet very strong.

The general scenario will be a minimum gauge estate railway that has survived into the modern age built to 1/24th scale so I can use the rolling stock and accessories I've collected over the years. The first baseboard scene will be based on the famous Chris Krupa Mathews Corner layout with a few design tweaks. For the original see viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9458&hilit=chris+krupa

The basic baseboards are nearly finished and I spent the afternoon in front of the TV making a start on minimum gauging some Peco HO/OO points and flexi track. This followed the familiar process of clipping off alternate sleepers and building up the width and length of the remaining sleepers with Evergreen plastic strip while leaving all the under track web in place. I had to settle for 1.5mm x 1.5mm strip as it was the closest size on the local hobby display rack which is still suffering from post COVID supply chain. Edit. I just checked Sir Arthurs recommended prototype sleeper length and spacing. My memory has failed me so I need to recess both my sleeper spacing and length. Something for tomorrow. :oops:

The weather forecast for the weekend is, you guessed it - rain, so quick progress may continue :D

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, of course. Cricket , Footy and Holden cars!

Re: Gnew Gn15 Estate Railway Modules

Postby Gavin Sowry » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:24 am

Right on cue, just like the old days, nearly exhibition time, so Paul starts another layout !
Gavin Sowry
Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Gavin Sowry » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:46 pm

DCRFAN 3 wrote:The first baseboard scene will be based on the famous Chris Krupa Mathews Corner layout with a few design tweaks. :D

Krupa Creek sounds like a good name for this.....
Gavin Sowry

Gn15 Gnu Zealand

DCRFAN 3
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby DCRFAN 3 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:48 pm

Don't mention a creek. I'll never get planning permission to build a railway near water these days. :shock:

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Gavin Sowry » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:37 am

DCRFAN 3 wrote:Don't mention a creek. I'll never get planning permission to build a railway near water these days. :shock:

I take you have one in 1:1 scale in your yard.....
Gavin Sowry

Gn15 Gnu Zealand

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:13 am

Good to hear that you are still following the GN15 route. My modelling has, for the time being, taken a turn towards 009 again as a way of levering myself out of the covid blues. I still yearn for something new in GN15 myself though (I still have Matthews Corner). There are some new 3D prints available now which I fancy trying.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/narrowmindedrailworks

It is interesting to see how Matthews Corner has seems to have influenced minimum gauge modelling. Elements of it seem to be all over the place. If you want to use the name Krupa in the title of your layout as suggested by Gavin, beware, people will mispronounce and miss spell it pretty often. I very much look forward to seeing your interpretation.

I have very happy memories of meeting you and Gavin all those years ago. I had intended to return to New Zealand a while ago but was stopped by covid. I hope that it will be possible again in the next couple pf years.

Chris

DCRFAN 3
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby DCRFAN 3 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:17 am

When you return to NZ I would love to say this time you need to bring Mathews Corner under your arm but I can just see the scene at Auckland Airport:

MPI agent - 'Hello sir what that you have there'

CK - 'Why thats Mathews Corner'

'Agent - 'And just what's that Sir'

CK - Oh its a green house and pot plants, hmm also a dark shed with an old car'

About the time the alarms will start blaring and the flame throwers will come out ready to destroy all the invading bugs :P :P

Return to “Modelling Matters”