Baseboard and Dioramaboxes

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Baseboard and Dioramaboxes

Postby KEG » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:56 am

For various reasons I have to keep my modelling simple and not too expensive. So here is my baseboard design:

40 x 10mm stripwood frame, filled with bluefoam board (Styodur)
Overall dimensions: 800 x 435 mm.
The dimensions were designed, because I have to store my modules in standard IKEA-Ivar shelves. We use the ladders to support the layout.

We presented this modular Gn15 arrangement earlier this year at an NG exibition in Germany.

For a Diorama Box on top of my baseboards I use 3mm cardboard, strengthened with stripwood inside the edges. Of course, lights have to be installed. It gets very dark inside boxes. We use manly strips od LED abd a 3-channel light organ for each modul.

To protect the diorama modules on transport or at storage rooms, I fixed some foldable flaps to the front and sides. The complete box measures 800 x 435 x 443 mm (high)

A baseboard costs me approx. 6 - 8 Euro, a complete diorama box incl. baseboard about 16 - 20 Euro. I buy the cardboard at an artists supply shop. They got huge machines there, to cut the material. A sharp knife or a table saw can be used as well.

The last diorama box I built, the one with the lightweight alluminum rocks, weighs less than 3 Kilos, incl. rails. APA boxes I use to transport rolling stock and the RC transmitters.

Have Fun

Juergen

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Re: Baseboard and Dioramaboxes

Postby KEG » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:28 am

Here are a few of those baseboards and Dioramaboxes assembled at an exibition in March 2015

Quite a few visitors aked, if IKEA APA Boxes were used.

Have Fun

Juergen

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:26 am

Hey, good stuff there. On the unfinished arched front on the "Stonehenge" module in photo, it looks like what we here in US call Masonite? which I don't know if it is called different name in Europe. Looks like a start has been made on filling and smoothing over the screws.
If I'm understanding this right: there is the wood and foam base; the Masonite front; cardboard sides, rear, top; am I anywhere near close to getting it right?
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

fatmac
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Free Open Source Software, Cycling, & model railways in the larger scales

Postby fatmac » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:52 am

I think what you call Masonite is called Hardboard over here.
Just Playing Trains!

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:07 am

it looks like what we here in US call Masonite...

For the fronts I use the same 2 or 3mm bookbinders cardboard as for the rest of the box.
I do not fill in the screw holes, as I like the possibility, to take the box apart, if needed.

I sealed the fronts with matt acrylic paint, rolled on. Black in my case.

Have Fun

Juergen

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:16 am

Ah, okay. The way texture shows in that one picture sure had it looking similar to the Masonite I had been painting on for our club's modular HO scale layout. Just goes to show, if you wonder, ya need to ask and find out for sure! :D
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Return to “Modelling Matters”