Fiat-Sero Rail Speeder

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Fiat-Sero Rail Speeder

Postby KEG » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:24 pm

Nevadablue and Franck Comb came up with those automobiles on rails recently. So the KEG decided yesterday, to construct one as well:

Parts from a Fiat-Sero 1913 on a homebuilt chassis with a small Austrian Halling drive. Those need very little energy, so a single Lipo cell will be enough to run this on batteries and a Deltang RC Unit. Enough room inside the model. At the moment it still runs with track power.

The rail Fiat is 100 mm long. The body of a Ford T Runabout in 1 :24 scale is approx. 120mm long.

Have Fun

Juergen

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Re: Fiat-Sero Rail Speeder

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:52 pm

Well, isn't that neat! Could you let us know what Deltang components you use please? I haven't ordered anything yet.
Ken

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:33 pm

My choice of Deltang components for my models will not really help anybody else. Simply ask David from Deltang what you intend to do and he´ll advise you.

Bob Roegge recentltly showed here a test rig up which is a very good help for absolute beginners to get the basic idea.

Have Fun

Juergen

Chris18
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G and Gn15.

Postby Chris18 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:36 pm

Not so bad. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Chris18 on Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
All we are is dust in the wind...
Chris

My favorite place in the world:
http://www.bellevue-cottage.com/en/index.html

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:42 am

It is a bit early for applause. Actually, I think comments from users which have never built a single Gn15 model
disturb the flow of a building thread.

Anyway, I applied some paint and found a driver.

Have to find some details like door hinges and knobs, lamps, battery, toolbox etc. now, before giving it some weathering.

Have Fun

Juergen

Toeffelholm
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: narrow gauge modeling, RC loco control, Gn15

Postby Toeffelholm » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:00 am

Nevadablue wrote:...Could you let us know what Deltang components you use please? I haven't ordered anything yet.

Having equipped several Gn15 locos now with different of Davids Rx's, I have to say that the features of the Rx62, to switch a loco on and of with a Reed switch or to switch it off with a button on your Tx are very sophisticated and comfortable. Also the LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) of this receiver is able to cut connection between Rx and battery completely. So that there is no quiescent current that can drain and damage your Lipo battery if you forget to switch your Loco off.

Will be interesting to equip this little vehicle and to find the lipo that offers the best compromise between size and capacity.

Juergen
Chronicler of the light railway on the island of Toeffelholm

Chris18
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G and Gn15.

Postby Chris18 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:37 am

KEG wrote:Actually, I think comments from users which have never built a single Gn15 model
disturb the flow of a building thread.
Juergen
:lol: :lol: :lol:
In fact, many guys in this forum have never built anything in GN15...
Anyway, they can write their comments if they want to. This forum is a free world !
All we are is dust in the wind...
Chris

My favorite place in the world:
http://www.bellevue-cottage.com/en/index.html

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Nevadablue wrote:Well, isn't that neat! Could you let us know what Deltang components you use please? I haven't ordered anything yet.

In the US there are several sources for Deltang stuff. I have had good luck with the ON30Guy. He has a direct connection with the Brit supplier and really knows his R/C. I'm doing all my GN15 locos with this little radio and will use a flatcar or orecar to carry the Batts and receiver so I can avoid buying a receiver and battery for each loco. I should get by with 2-3 total receivers.
Back to the topic I will see if I can make a railcar like the ones shown here with my AMC Model T. It has been sitting around for about 15 years in it's box.
David (doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:18 pm

Added some Details, mainly OZARK parts and startet some slight weathering.

Right after Christmas the Fiat will go over to the Toeffelholm Workshops, to get the Lipo and Deltang RC installed.

Have Fun

Juergen

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:33 pm

You won't regret the radio stuff.
David(Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:05 am

I got a note back from David at Deltang. He recommended the Rx60-22-W receiver for the T22 controller I want to get. I may end up ordering directly from him since the ON30Guy doesn't seem to have stock. I'll update later in my own thread.

Thanks for the help, sorry for the diversion...
Ken

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:06 pm

That railcar is "the bee's knee's" KEG. Is the luggage on the flatcar commercial or did you scratch build that too? Also the weathering is superb, as usual.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:45 pm

The luggage comes from various sources. The two trunks from Schomberg Models (Canada)
Some might be LGB, some Preiser and others

Found the hotel stickers at the net. Before WW II they were very popular all over the world.

Have Fun

Juergen

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:03 pm

So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:25 pm

I was thinking about pinching Franck´s surfboard idea in the 7 / 8th tread. http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&p=117832#p117832 but remembered, I already had a Gn15 surfboard transport some years ago:
http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8494&p=103263&hilit=Munster#p103263

Santa decided to use the new Fiat Speeder this year to deliver the presents to Hamster Hermann:

It looks, as if he is on its way to the Ravenglass & Eskdale festivies next year. Delivering some better hard stuff.

Have Fun

Juergen

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:50 am

Juergen, you and Hermann always make me smile. Thanks!

Merry Christmas! It is snowing here again, so it looks like tomorrow will be a White Christmas here. :)
Ken

Toeffelholm
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: narrow gauge modeling, RC loco control, Gn15

Postby Toeffelholm » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:18 am

KEG Railspeeder with DelTang installation

Rx62, 2s Lipo 7.4V 240mAh, reed-switch, micro bulbs for the headlights

Riding through Toeffelholm forest

Juergen
Chronicler of the light railway on the island of Toeffelholm

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:34 pm

Great work, Toeffelholm-Juergen. I love the tiny lightbulbs inside the coach lanterns. Can´t wait to get my hands on the speeder again. Suppose, with two lipo cells it runs quite fast.

Just in case, folks in here don´t know the Toefelholm Forest. Here are a few pictures: http://www.die-feldbahnsinnigen.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=379&p=8779#p8779

Have Fun

Juergen

franckcombe
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: computer architecture train

Postby franckcombe » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:20 pm

Very nice rail car Juergen. The layout is superb too.

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:58 pm

That is great packaging of the radio gear, Juergen, and great work as usual on the build. I'm fighting with using a steel sided car to haul batteries and the charging wires, but the connectors are a bit too big. I'll keep working on it.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:26 pm

We packed a Lipo plus all the Deltang stuff into a small tender of my Smallbrook COLUMBINE
http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7596&p=94135&hilit=Columbine+Germanized#p94135

Used a small Schomberg Models Gn15 flatcar as a base. Filled the underside with sheet lead for weight. Before that, the stiff cables tended to derail the tender.

More of Juergen Toeffelholm´s Deltangisation work on Gn15 models can be seen here. http://www.die-feldbahnsinnigen.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1017&p=8949#p8949 I think, we have 8 Deltang RC / Battery locos running at the moment.

Have Fun

Juergen

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:40 pm

Thanks Juergen for the ideas for installing the Deltang stuff. I have only bought 1 receiver so far and the running is great on 3 different locos. Pictures to follow in my own thread so I don't mess up yours.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:05 pm

Thanks you Jeurgens, for the ideas and great pictures. :D

Doc, please start a thread on your installs. I need some help too. I will have only one receiver for a while and have some ideas for making it 'plug and play' in multiple locos.
Ken

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:40 pm

Nevadablue wrote:Thanks you Jeurgens, for the ideas and great pictures. :D

Doc, please start a thread on your installs. I need some help too. I will have only one receiver for a while and have some ideas for making it 'plug and play' in multiple locos.

Hey Ken
I have been fighting with reverse loops but tomorrow I'll post my mining car that has the radio in it. I think Juergen's installs are really the way to go. He has the connectors tied down so all you see is the wires. I glued one connector to my railtruck but it did not stick out enough to connect properly. I am using Dean's Microconnectors but there are smaller ones from the sub-mini R/C airplane community. I don't think my vision is good enough to see these little 2 mm ones.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:15 pm

I'm not sure that the radio stuff shouldn't have it's own thread, but all the models we are talking about here have radio or plan to. So here goes nothing.
Problems:
IMG_1283.JPG
IMG_1283.JPG (72.71 KiB) Viewed 3623 times
IMG_1284.JPG
IMG_1284.JPG (81.21 KiB) Viewed 3623 times
IMG_1287.JPG
IMG_1287.JPG (72.7 KiB) Viewed 3623 times

I need to tie down everything in the trailing car and cover it with a tarp. Juergen has everything taped and secured and has the connector also attached inside. I also tried polarize connectors but using the small 3 way ones with only 2 connections would probably work better. Either way the battery will only work one way, but the motor connection could go either way.

Additionally I am experimenting with reverse loops with no switching points and very small radius as well. Not a smart way to get at least 1 good result. I am losing the 5" radius first as there is no way the railcar will work. I do have a Bachmann tiny motor unit from the old GE diesel 44 ton which has a very small radius.

To sum up, the radio works great but everything else needs a rewrite.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Return to “Modelling Matters”