Tobar Junction, NV

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Tobar Junction, NV

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:16 am

Tobar was a real place in Nevada, but little is known about it. I am just using the name because it has a neat history. Legend has it that the name of the town came from a sign someone stuck on the train station. It said TO BAR, indicating that the bar was 'that way'. :D Folks thought it was the name of the town. Tobar was in a mining district and it did have a railroad.

Here is the layout of the town. It will be built as 10 modules, each 24" x 16" and one module 24" x 32" that can be assembled into a 4' x 8' layout. Each module will be able to be used independently, with two of them having roundy roundy running available.

The plan as it sits now.

The Little Mine module (upper left in the drawing set) is started and currently is on an oval baseboard. It will be fitted to a standard module board. Some of the buildings are in progress. I'll link to those existing threads instead of reposting all that stuff.

The Little Mine thread is here:

http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9942
Last edited by Nevadablue on Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Re: Tobar Junction, NV

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:18 am

The Coal Mine module is the large module. It will allow me to run the larger NG locos in my fleet. The Little Mine module is just too small and the clearances won't allow anything but the tiny underground trammer and cars. So, I need this module for playing trains. :D

Ken

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:27 pm

Oh, this one looks like fun! I like the layout and it certainly presents a ton of opportunity for scenery and buildings! I look forward to following your progress on this one.
Best of luck!
Chris

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:43 pm

Thanks Chris! This should give me a lifetime or two of building opportunities. :D
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:15 am

I've changed the design some and made it into 4 large modules and 4 small ones. Module 3 in this picture now has a 3 cornered junction. I've laid the track and got the switches working. Now to go back to the Coal Mine Module. Now that I have the radio control working, I need a roundy roundy. :D

The Wye junction (will be called Northwye I'm sure) took up more space than planned, so the buildings will have to be relocated.

Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:22 am

I've tested my little battery car and my larger critter (unpowered) and all is well. Now to try the battery operated RC rig on it. (that is about a 3" radius curve) Maybe late this week.

Ken

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:44 pm

Looking good, Nevada. What did you use to glue the track down?
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:43 am

:lol: Thanks Doc. You would ask about the 'glue'. :D

It was an experiment. I glued the track down with dabs of hot glue. Then I went crazy and 'ballasted' part of it with hot glue. Not sure that was smart, but the paint made it look better. So far, that's just a coat of red primer. Part of the left branch of the Wye is ballasted with white glue... another test.
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:47 am

This is what I've been working on lately. I started a few days ago. I've never done one of these before, but I think this thing will be a good addition to the layout. It is for mail delivery to Tobar.

This is what the start looked like.

Unfortunately I forgot to take more pics of the progress, but here it is as of today.

Last edited by Nevadablue on Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

lesmond
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:34 pm

Ken, that is a lovely plane, and you've made a great job of it (as usual :D :D ).

Is it a current model, of have you had it for a while?

Les
"Because I Can"

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:53 pm

That is a neat paper Cubby, Nevada. Is it 1/2" scale?
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:40 pm

Thanks Doc! Yes, it's 1/2 scale. I'm trying to locate a pilot now. (I have a bunch of those naked Chinese figures off ebay and one of them will undergo surgery probably :D )
Ken

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:32 am

Me to! I just need to find time to go back to trains. Way too much stuff to do.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:59 am

I'll be doing a "how I do it" series of pictures on the surgery required to modify one of the Chinese figures. They are apparently ABS and are readily cut and glued into all kinds of other poses. I built a 'pilot' today and he is too big for the Cub cabin. That's OK, he can drive the Boeing 40 when it gets built. I did remember to take lots of pics so when the figure is complete, I'll start a thread on it.
Ken

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:50 pm

I'll look forward to the tutorial on figures, Ken. It is one of my weak areas.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:29 pm

Maybe one of the many tutorials in the www can be of assistance http://www.cgtrains.com/t431-a-quick-win-for-a-unique-figure

or http://www.freerails.com/view_topic.php?id=3383&forum_id=50

Have Fun

Juergen

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:58 pm

Thanks Juergen for those web pages. I have to try to succeed, and that should be soon.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:30 am

Here's my contribution to the figure modeling subject.

http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10272
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:36 pm

Finally got to work on this again. I went on a trip across western Nevada to look at old mining equipment with my friend. Fun day...

So, here is what she looks like now. The windshield installation worked as well as the main landing gear assembly.

There is still a lot of detailing to do, including toning down that glossy black windshield bar. Tie downs, more struts, the tail braces, etc...

We decided to do a repower and the engine is being built. The custom tail wheel assembly is done and has been installed since I took the pictures.

LOTS of work to do on the new engine. Cowling, plug wires, exhaust pipes, etc. The cylinders are sections of flexible drinking straws and the cylinder block is foam core board.
Ken

lesmond
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:31 pm

Looking good Ken. I'm glad you decided to replace the engine as it is a really prominent part of the model, and your replacement will look much better.

Any photos of the mining equipment you went for a look at?

Les
"Because I Can"

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:27 pm

Thanks Les, nothing really exciting on the trip. We were looking for a grizzly (rock screen) for my friend's little operation. But the ones we saw were way too big to move without a huge expense. The hunt will continue. Here's the album with some high desert scenery too, and an ARK way up there on the mountain.

http://s77.photobucket.com/user/NevadaBlue/library/Feb%2014%20road%20trip?sort=3&page=1

Back to the plane... We will be getting a custom wooden prop, but for now we did install the standard prop (using a modified push pin to become the spinner) and the guys are going to test the engine. The young man at the controls is ready to solo, so he is in there right now (rather pale isn't he?) to see how she runs. (there's some of the florist wire inside the prop too)

Ken

lesmond
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby lesmond » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:21 pm

Ken,

Thanks for the link to the photos - you live in beautiful country. Anything you found is a bit big too move easily.

The plane is coming on really well. I'm enjoying following this one and am looking forward to the finished job.

Les
"Because I Can"

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:21 pm

Yes Les, this country is beautiful in it's own way. I really love the open spaces and quiet.

Oh, Miner Mike had the smaller of the two grizzlies moved, it arrived here yesterday. So, we have a way to screen gravel now. LOTS of gravel. :D
Ken

lesmond
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby lesmond » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:56 pm

Ken,

Quiet, wide open spaces are to be treasured.

Without getting too far off topic, enquiring minds would like to know why you need to screen loads of gravel (I know - I'm a nosy sod :D )? Ballast for track?

Les
"Because I Can"

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:46 pm

No problem... my friend bought a property up at the end of the canyon and is moving LOTS of rock and dirt in the process of leveling parking places and whatnot. He wants to use the rock for fill and then the finer stuff on top. Of course, we will get road gravel in the process of getting the dirt and large rocks separated too. It costs a lot to have rock brought up here (we are 60 miles from town) so in the LONG run, the grizzly will pay for itself.

I have enough rail and ties (and a keg of properly sized new spikes) for a small run of track, but I doubt if I ever get that done... :(
Ken

Return to “Modelling Matters”