Tobar Junction, NV

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Re: Tobar Junction, NV

Postby Thorness » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:42 pm

Glad you spotted it in time!
Have you thought of a smoke alarm?

Cheers
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:27 am

:D

It didn't really have time to smoke, it never got larger than a candle flame really.

No worries on the fire guys. I did something stupid and learned... what I already knew. The 'bumping' of the fire on the foam is just that, not even touching it. So, normally there would be no burning, just the heat melting the stuff, same as shrinking heat shrink tubing. I stuck the darn torch thing (like a cigarette lighter flame) inside the model where I couldn't see it. STUPID... and a tiny bit of foam got IN the flame and caught fire. Won't happen again. ;)

So, not much at all today but the fire. I've been playing with an Apple TV, which isn't a TV, but a black box that lets me look at all of you on my TV. :D

I brought in some good, no GREAT sand for the layout. It is nicely Nevada tan/brown and ranges from fine to small pebbles. It will be great for ground cover and 'trim' on the rocky places. I also got some pictures of the rocks in the canyon. They are not limestone, but they are the colors I'll be using. The rock is rhyolite by the way.

This is the formation I'll be using as my 'pallet'. First pic is the whole thing, then the top and the bottom in closeup. The lichen is just glowing now, plenty of moisture from all the snow.

Ken

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:50 am

Art and adventure, if anything, model railroading is that.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:06 am

For sure...

Here is a sample of my sand and gravel... and rocks. I think this stuff will be perfect for the layout. Exactly the right colors for the Nevada desert. The sky is blue, the ground is brown and the rocks are... GREEN! :D

Ken

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:41 pm

wow it looks almost real :P . I'm a big fan of Kitty Litter for ground. Cheap and light but not as cheap as natural stuff like you have.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:58 pm

Looking good my friend!
Looking forward to your progress!
Cheers
Chris
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

lesmond
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:08 pm

Hi Ken,

Bit of an "eek" moment when I read of the fire, but very thankfully no major damage and no harm done. The not finding it scenario doesn't bear thinking of.

The revised mine looks brilliant. I love a bit of height on a model, and you've got it spot on with this one. I'm looking forward very much to progress.

Did you gather up the soil locally, or buy it from somewhere? It looks just about perfect, and again, I'm looking forward to see how you use it.
I've a small bag of Welsh soil / slate / spoil gathered up on a visit last year for eventual use.

Les
"Because I Can"

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:01 am

Thanks Les and everyone. The sand and gravel came from the creek at the bottom of the valley. I guess that's why it is the right color. It really is perfect.

More experimentation today. First, I have found that the TP I was using has too much pattern, even on the back side. It is a sort of gridwork and it shows through. I hunted up some less patterned stuff in our supply room (one of them... a 40 foot shipping container).

So, I painted the removable mountain section with some light brown paint and then dry brushed some black into that. Not bad for a first coat. I set that on the Little Mine module and did some dry brushing on the mountain itself. Brown and black, just to try to bring the colors closer. Too much gloss yet of course, but that will heal. :D

I also 'wallpapered' the new portal in the coal mine. For this I used the 50/50 glue and water and mixed some of the brown paint into that. Glue, TP and glue. This will work nicely as a start. I think the coal mine is in a sandy limestone, so it won't be so dark as the upper part of the mountain. Must have been a tectonic overthrust somewhere in the distant past. ;) (the site of the fire was just inside the lower portal, to the left)

I really think the thing looks like a chocolate cake now.

I think the next experiment will be to add some thinned spackling compound to the paint and see what happens.
Ken

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:11 pm

Yum! I'll bet I could eat the whole thing! :lol: The mine entrance looks good. Is there a lot of that reddish sandstone out there in Nevada?
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:43 pm

Thanks Doc! Most of the rock around here is some flavor of igneous or volcanic mixed in with some stuff like limestone and sandstone. I'm making up my mountain and using colors from the area. Oh, I tasted the mountain and it does not taste like chocolate. :D

So, I'm learning this process as I go along. I found a box of cheap facial tissues. They have no pattern at all. I'm draping them on the glue wetted styrofoam and then 'wallpapering' them into place with glue and the brush. I've found that wetting the tissue with glue mix and sticking it down, then moving to another area allows the tissue to soften. Then come back and dab it into place. The paper will stretch and form. If you tear a hole or miss a spot, no problem, just go back and add another layer at that spot. I'm filling deep holes with rolled up tissue or TP and soaking that with glue mix. Then paper over it.

Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:13 am

I'm on a roll today. I decided to build the rest of the Little Mine mountain.

I started cutting and gluing foam. This goes really fast and is FUN!

The track in the tunnel is just to see how it looks. There will be no switch inside, but the miners will be pushing hand cars out to dump in a single gate ore bin that feeds the mill below.

A few hours later, an inspector is checking the tunnel into the mine.

This section of the mountain is attached to the base board. The Little Mine can be slid over and removed for access to the coal mine below.

This is the whole mountain. I'll be repainting the Little Mine original mountain when I paint the new part so it all matches and looks more natural. I never did finish the original part (what's new) so the gloss will be gone finally.

Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:16 am

The back story is that the Little Mine's tunnels go off into the distance inside the 'new' part of the mountain.

That's a piece of parchment paper, borrowed from my lady's kitchen, taped to the wall behind the new mountain. It is neat stuff and protects the wall of the play room from my glue and paint. I'll be getting my own roll.
Ken

Nipissing
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Trains. What else ?

Postby Nipissing » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:59 am

Gnice layout !
It's coming along very well.
Have a nice day :D

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:45 pm

It is looking really good!
David(Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

NFBrown
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Colorado On3, HOn3 and Gn15. Maybe even minimum gauge in 1/12th scale.

Postby NFBrown » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:25 pm

I like your mountain, Ken. I keep expecting a dragon peeking out somewhere. Looks like you have the same dirt as here in Idaho.

Nick

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:29 am

Thanks guys. I slopped on more reinforcement inside the new part of the mountain today and started the first coat of paint. More chocolate right now. :D

Dragons... YES, I'm still digging for a swamp dragon. I need a way to light the fire in the sawmill boiler.

oh, Watching you guys working on models is making the model-maker parts itch. But I have to get the layout a bit farther along before I can use them anyway. But, looking through the pictures I have saved is fun. I was considering using my steam traction engine as power for the sawmill, but it is too large. That led me to my little stationary engine which should be just right. It is shown here being maintained by Buzz Lightyear. (we were having trouble finding good help at the time)

Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:41 am

Today's progress didn't get photos, but things did happen. I cut a 'log' mine prop for the Little Mine and removed the foam ones. There will only be one large prop now and it is only necessary since the mountain is removable from the layout. The prop keeps it safely upright when not in place in the layout. I'm also overhauling it somewhat. After building the rest of the mountain, I found that the loco couldn't get out of the back portal. grrr... So, I chopped off the entire outside section of the portal, thinned it and glued it back in place. I then covered the bottom of the mountain with card stock and that will be finished with the tissue paper/glue stuff to make it stronger. The mountain was originally intended to be permanently mounted, but since that changed, it needed reinforcing.
I also started the creek excavation. I now have the tentative layout of it formed and am looking at way and road bridge construction.
And finally, I started construction of a fire truck for the VFD in Tobar. Since we had that mine fire, I decided that the truck was necessary. Actually, it is a diversion to keep me from going nuts painting glue and tissue paper. The truck will be a modified Model A ford and look something like this when completed... kinda sorta. :shock: (at least from the front bumper to just behind the cab) I plan a water tank, hose reel and ladder rack, with a pump on the front.

The inspiration was this beautiful Model T model.

And, it was inspired by this original.

One of these will be the donor rig. It will be highly modified of course and the chassis will need to be stretched a couple of feet it appears.

What triggered this getting started right now was 1. boredom with glue and tissue, and 2. I found a kit of really neat parts on ebay. It is a German kit, consisting of a front mounted fire pump, hoses, hydrant, nozzles and a hose reel. All in my scale! :D
Last edited by Nevadablue on Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:23 pm

Hey, fire pumper sounds like a fun project.
You know, roof texture on the truck could be done with tissue and glue ...
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:40 pm

Willow Creek Traction wrote:Hey, fire pumper sounds like a fun project.
You know, roof texture on the truck could be done with tissue and glue ...

Or masking tape :P
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:57 pm

Depending on the cuts I have to make, the roof may or may not have to be redone. It has some texture, but I'll be cutting it in sections for the build, so who knows...

The fire pump and accessories showed up already! This will be perfect for my fire truck. A neat idea is part of this kit. The 'hoses' are bungee cord of 3 different sizes. Brilliant idea I think. With paint color of your choice, you have steam hose, water hose, etc. The stuff lays perfectly, and looks like hose.

Meanwhile, there is all kinds of activity and excitement across the way. The LIPO cell chargers were dug out and I finally figured out how to hook up the charger to the Little Mine Loco (the WW1 loco that is... Wall Wart 1st Edition Battery Loco). I must install a charging port on it.
The new creek is also in view as well as some bridge parts that may or may not be used.

As you can see, the acting mine inspector has been surrounded by strange creatures.

The camels made a quick trip from the Arabian desert. The seller said that they had been waiting for the third guy to show up for a very long time, so they gave up.
Ken

Nipissing
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Trains. What else ?

Postby Nipissing » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:45 pm

Making some moonshine ? :lol:

Have a nice day :D

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:16 am

We can't talk about that Andre. 8)

I had more problems with the Little Mine Mountain today. The darn rear light on the locomotive, the one on the post, would not clear the portal when going clockwise around the track. It was designed to go the other way... fooey. I need it to go clockwise to make it work with the rest of the layout. So, I chopped rock from the portal and shortened the light stand. That was fun, there is a TINY wire in there for the rear light. But, all is well now.

In other developments, a 1930 Bugatti Royale crashed in the canyon and was totaled. Why a Bugatti was being driven by a drunk cowboy nobody knows, but they did salvage the wheels and tires. It was thought that they may be of use on the fire truck that the guys are building, but they were a bit large. They have decided that a set of oversize spoked wheels from another truck will work. Pictures in next weeks' Tobar Gazette.

Oh, they haven't received the printing press yet for the Gazette, nor have they built the building...

Since the newspaper isn't running yet, I'll post a photo.

Back to the fire truck. The AA Ford trucks tended to have disc wheels and the Model A cars, such as the Woody Wagon, had wire wheels. I've decided to settle on the ones I like... the spoked wheels that are actually found on the Model T, but my license allows such things. So, spoked it will be. I think I'll paint the rims black and the spokes brown/tan to simulate the wood ones seen on some of the fire trucks I've seen pics of. These are a size larger than original tires on the Woody and a size smaller than the Bugatti wheels. I like 'em....

The wheelbase on the rig will be extended 18" to 24" depending on how the water tank, hose reel and other things like ladders look on it.

Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:05 pm

Today we chopped the woody in pieces and proceeded to stretch it. The intention was to stretch the frame 3 feet but it turned out to be 3 feet and 6" (1-3/4 inches at 1/2" to the foot). Seems someone can't measure. I'm blaming the head mechanic.

The frame, body and floor board were cut to allow overlaps where possible when reassembling the parts.

Here the two major assemblies are fitted together with the reinforcing parts.

And from the top...

The 'chicken bones' in the upper left corner are the front and rear axles after removal of the chrome with bleach. Seems they used clear plastic for those parts. Strange...

And finally, the assembled rig from the top with the floor board extension in place.

Next, after this sets for a while, flip it over and install the frame extension pieces. Then I can put the axles under it and figure out the wheel adapters.

The woody came with a bench seat in front, two 'bucket' seats in the middle and a bench in the back. We decided to use the buckets in the cab to allow more space for 'junk'. When I get the seats mounted I'll look at possibly raising the height of the cab if needed.
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:26 am

I think I better quit for the day. I cut the side panels and made the extra window like the prototype has. I think it will be fine.

Prototype to make it easier for me to remember...

My model will be somewhat longer and will have a tank and hose reel and other things instead of the flat bed that the prototype has. I am copying the cab really.
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:42 pm

I spent the day working on the cab of the fire truck and putting small parts on the model. I'll have to build the engine soon, the front suspension mounts on the bottom of the transmission at one place.
I almost made a painful mistake. I was getting the cab roof ready to install and realized that the cab interior detail had to be done first. So, I decided to make the cab roof and back removable for access. That way I can finish the interior as well as put drivers in when I want.

A couple of the girls volunteered to sit in the cab even with all the clamps and junk around. We decided that the bench would be better and more comfortable as well as providing needed cross support for the cab rear wall.

I made the cab roof and rear wall one piece, using the original roof for the woody. I have to decide how large the rear window needs to be... if there is one. The size of the water tank may block the rear view anyway. I have yet to decide on the water tank... It may be round. That shape would have been easier to find or fabricate for the guys in Tobar.

You can see the cab roof in this view.

Ken

Return to “Modelling Matters”