Today's progress didn't get photos, but things did happen. I cut a 'log' mine prop for the Little Mine and removed the foam ones. There will only be one large prop now and it is only necessary since the mountain is removable from the layout. The prop keeps it safely upright when not in place in the layout. I'm also overhauling it somewhat. After building the rest of the mountain, I found that the loco couldn't get out of the back portal. grrr... So, I chopped off the entire outside section of the portal, thinned it and glued it back in place. I then covered the bottom of the mountain with card stock and that will be finished with the tissue paper/glue stuff to make it stronger. The mountain was originally intended to be permanently mounted, but since that changed, it needed reinforcing.
I also started the creek excavation. I now have the tentative layout of it formed and am looking at way and road bridge construction.
And finally, I started construction of a fire truck for the VFD in Tobar. Since we had that mine fire, I decided that the truck was necessary. Actually, it is a diversion to keep me from going nuts painting glue and tissue paper. The truck will be a modified Model A ford and look something like this when completed... kinda sorta.
(at least from the front bumper to just behind the cab) I plan a water tank, hose reel and ladder rack, with a pump on the front.
The inspiration was this beautiful Model T model.
And, it was inspired by this original.
One of these will be the donor rig. It will be highly modified of course and the chassis will need to be stretched a couple of feet it appears.
What triggered this getting started right now was 1. boredom with glue and tissue, and 2. I found a kit of really neat parts on ebay. It is a German kit, consisting of a front mounted fire pump, hoses, hydrant, nozzles and a hose reel. All in my scale!