For the CARD BOARD Modellers.....something SPECIAL!

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

For the CARD BOARD Modellers.....something SPECIAL!

Postby chris69 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:30 am

Hi,
I found this on a card modellers page. Just look at the pictures and be amazed.
All parts are CARDBOARD and no, not store bought, recycled fro around the house.
the only purchased items are the paint and glue.
Have fun
Chris
http://www.der-lustige-modellbauer.com/ ... aus-karton
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Re: For the CARD BOARD Modellers.....something SPECIAL!

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:49 am

That is some astonishing modelling, especially given the medium used.

In quite a different style our very own 'dieselwater' used a lot of old cereal packets and the like. Alas, he hasn't posted in here for nearly two years.

Here's his profile if you want to chase up the sort of work he created:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2905

cheers,

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:50 am

Oh man, I'm tellin ya, what the card modeling crowd can do is just nuts, it's an art, maybe beyond art, that's for sure.
Might be an enjoyable website, http://www.papermodelers.com/
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:50 pm

Unbelievable! I just wish there were more printed card models around for model railroads. Jim Snee used to do really good ones.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby chris69 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:13 pm

Hi,
glad you guys like the page. I looked through some of the models built, especially the railroad models and got some great tips for future projects.
Quite a few of the models where designed by the builder.
As I am always looking for a reasonable way to build something, this page is a priceless resource.
Have a great day
Chris

Here are some pictures of the first Gn15 I built. she has a card superstructure, windows from packaging,curtain from toilet paper soaked in white glue,some wire and springs from pens etc.The lamps came from the scrap box and the drive is an old 3 axle Bachman. She turned out a bit on the small side but works fine as a background model.

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:37 am

Smaller than you'd intended, or not, she sure looks the part. :D
And some electric mine locos were indeed pretty small http://www.werkbahn.de/eisenbahn/lokbau/klemm.htm
While at the other end of the spectrum some were pretty big, see Grubenlok 4-1124 about 1/2 way down page here http://www.elektrolok.de/news/estories/ ... pt2010.php

Second down on left side of page looks like Emmett had a hand in the matter http://www.feldbahn-riedlhuette.de/Hist ... h%C3%A4fer

(come on body, let's get back in to more reasonable shape for making progress building models!)
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Simon
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Simon » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:13 am

Chris69 - that little green electric is lovely.

But going slightly away from card and onto toilet paper.....what order do you do things when making and fitting the curtain? I need to do something similar but the curtain needs to be fitted 'wet' so that it can be manipulated into shape before it sets - nut if fitting wet I'm worried about getting glue/paint onto the surrounding model.

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby chris69 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:01 pm

Happy Friday,
Hi Simon, the curtain is quite a simple process. i generally start with some toilet paper or kitchen tissue folded over a few times. Cut it to the approximate size and then carefully give it a coating in diluted white glue. From experience I found to color the glue mix helps tremendously.
It is best done on a sheet of glass or plastic. When the glue has dried enough to lift the tissue off the base start to wrinkle it a bit and let it dry completely. Even after the drying it is real easy to work on the wrinkles. i then cut the piece to size and glue it in place.At this point it is best to do all the shading etc.
Since mine are generally attached from the inside this is quite a simple process. But I have used the same method to create tarps and a canopy.
One can also make a simple wire frame and fold the ends over it, for tarp doors etc.
Have fun and let us know how it went.

Hi willow,
the Grubenlock you mentioned is an above ground standard gauge one.And they where true monsters, it was used generally to transport coke or spoil, there are "Narrow gauge ones" that look quite similar and ran on meter gauge. they where used in the Tagebau/ Above ground mining for BraunKohle( sorry cant think of the English word) They ran in unit trains transporting coal and spoil from the mine (loaded by a flood loader attached to a bucket wheel excavator, that's why they have a second set of pantographs on the side under the loader was no overhead power possible also at the unloading) directly to a power plant or the spoil heap( there it was generally spread by a similar machine as the bucket wheel excavator) refilling the mine.The last real monsters where used in the Eastern part of Germany. don't know if some are still in use.
here is a link to her little sister in meter gauge and how it was built in 1:22.5
http://www.buntbahn.de/modellbau/viewto ... ok&start=0
Have fun everyone

Chris

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby chris69 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:23 pm

Here is an other Card Board creation.
Card body, Wire , Fly screen, parts from the scrap box, a Bachman Tram power Pole, and an old AHM drive. Oh almost forgot a few scraps of wood and some hinge parts from an optician.
enjoy
Chris

PS: after some cleaning and tweaking of the power pick up it runs just fine, even under load and at slow speeds.

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:42 pm

That loco is simply gorgeous, Chris. I'm not sure the screens would clear OSHA rules though :mrgreen:
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:50 pm

And driver by Fujimi, or was it Tamiya? Looks like it has been waiting about four decades for someone to spiff up the paint - likely to wait about another four :D Yes, that cab roof screen is a neat idea.

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby chris69 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:52 pm

Hi,
and thanks for the kind remarks . Well since a lot of the mining equipment was "home"modified it does give us the freedom do go where imagination takes us. I love going through pages of prototype equipment, picking up bits and pieces for some new project.
As to the blue one, I actually saw a picture of one with the mesh roof but as far as I recall they had NO OSHA in their country........
As to the driver, he came from the mechanics set from FUJIMI. A good thing the loco is closed up on the right side hiding my brutal surgery to his body to make him fit.

Here are some other Card and Card mix creations.

Just love the fact that we can go anywhere our imagination leads us without breaking the bank.

have a great weekend

Chris

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:34 pm

All can say is "Wow"!
David(Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Return to “Modelling Matters”