New locos and rolling stock

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

New locos and rolling stock

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:07 am

My little piece of Verne Niner's E. & S. G. line arrived today. I got two Porter 0-4-2 locos (less cabs) and an ore car from him. My little layouts will be greatly enhanced by these machines. My little people are excited, nearly as much as I am. I was told by some nay-sayers that the little Porters wouldn't work in this scale (Gn15)... but I was sure they would be fine. I need small work locomotives and with the 1/24 people in this pic, I think you can see they WILL work. Now to decide how to (or whether to) build a cab.
Ken

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Re: New locos and rolling stock

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:40 am

Nevadablue wrote:I was told by some nay-sayers that the little Porters wouldn't work in this scale (Gn15)
Almost everything can be adapted for Gn15. I'd have the attitude that they have just demonstrated that they don't understand the Gn15 vibe :lol:
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:37 pm

Your Porter reminds me of the Laxey mine locos in the Isle of Man.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/58534838@ ... WXE-69RXU1

Cheers
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:40 pm

Don, I can't see the picture in the link. I'll look up the Laxey locos...

The neat thing about this is that I haven't done ANY work yet! The little loco is just ready to go it seems.

At least one of them will be cab-less. I may make the other one into some sort of tug-mule type of thing that would be used outside at the sawmill. Winter is miserable here much of the time, so a cab would be appropriate for that one. I like the front mounted winch on Ozsteam kit. It also has a removable cab so it could be run either way. I realize that the loco is tiny, but that's OK with me. The boiler is probably about 25% smaller than it would be for a scale 1/24 loco in a 'finescale' world. :D

Something like this would be neat for one of the locos.

Since it will be working at the sawmill, it will be converted to wood fired, with appropriate smoke stack too.
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:45 pm

Thanks Don! I found the pics.

NEAT!! A prototype for everything it seems. Even a tiny underground steam loco. :D

http://www.deejay51.com/IOM%20RAILWAYS/ ... YMINED.JPG
Ken

Robatron86
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Models, Music and Motors

Postby Robatron86 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:56 pm

Loving the locos, and I really like that winch!

Return to “Modelling Matters”