Staining help

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

DennyD
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow gauge modeling

Staining help

Postby DennyD » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:57 pm

I'm currently working on a Gnine bogie flat car based on a Yucatan plantation railway car. The build is coffee stirrer sticks on an.N scale chassis. I want to stain the wood a weathered driftwood color and remember reading a post where alcohol was used to coat the wood and then.black shoe polish was rubbed over after that. Any help with weathering the sticks would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you. DennyD.

NFBrown
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Colorado On3, HOn3 and Gn15. Maybe even minimum gauge in 1/12th scale.

Re: Staining help

Postby NFBrown » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:11 pm

I've not heard of using shoe polish, but some people thin shoe dye with alcohol to stain wood. I've often used black ink thinned with alcohol or sometimes water. The wood comes out grey if you get the mix right. I'm thinking of trying water color paints to add some variation to the grey on some cars I'm building.

Nick

csundstr
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Modelling small industrial prototypes in 3/8n20.

Postby csundstr » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:22 am

You can also try adding a very small amount of silver oil paint to the mix. This (in the correct proportions) can give you that silver effect often found on weathered driftwood. Play around with the proportions to get the color you want.
Chris Sundstrom
Keen Eye Models - Industrial Prototypes in 1/24, 1/32 and 1/43 Scales
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/keeneye?sort=name&s=0

DennyD
'boxer
'boxer

Postby DennyD » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:51 am

Thank you Nick. What mixture of shoe dye and alcohol should I use, and how should I apply it? Denny.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:10 am

A thread on painting or staining models without a single picture does not make any sense.

Various techniques have been described in here and elsewhere, but nobody seems to read it.
Very frustrating for those who spent time and effort to bring the message over. Can not really blame folks, if they start asking themself, why they waste their time.

Working on tiny models means, you need some basic understanding of highlighting and shadowing.
Every search machine will lead you to hundreds of articles. Even Keywords like Driftwood, Stains,
Wheathering will bring you some ideas. We don´t have to start at Adam & Eve every time.

Here are some pictures in a thread I wrote earlier this year: http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10234

Have Fun

Juergen

Simon
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Simon » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:54 pm

When feeling too lazy to go out and acquire staining agents I've used tea in the past. You can vary the depth of colour, to some extent, by varying the brew time.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:40 am

What kind of tea do you brew to get a (gray) Driftwood colour? Earl Gray?

Have Fun

Juergen

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:07 pm

The fence at the back is made from coffee stirrers and stained with coffee, the bit on the left was then given a wash of Humbrol aluminium very heavily diluted with thinners. Best to start with extremely dilute and add more if required!

Cheers
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:39 pm

Hi,
here are some cars I built some time ago. they are all coffee Stir Sticks from a burger joint.
I used different methods, from tea to alcohol and shoe polish. The key was to experiment on
the wood before you actually do the model.
Other things I used where cheap chalk, ground and brushed on and then set with cheap hair spray from the 99C store.
You have to put up with some funny smell for a while, but way cheaper than the craft store stuff.And the same material!

Half the fun is playing around with it. By the way ,the only commercial items on the cars are the trucks and some copper wire.

Merry Christmas and happy messing around

Chris
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

DennyD
'boxer
'boxer

Postby DennyD » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:24 pm

Thank you Chris, and merry Christmas! I really like the look of your cars. Can you PM me some detail photos for the undersides? And what trucks did you use, along with what underframes for your 4 wheel cars? Denny.

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby chris69 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:06 pm

Hi Denny,
As to the trucks, they where standard On30 ones that where in my scrap box, the chassis of the 4 wheeler is just an old HO chassis again from the scrap box, with a frame and deck built around it. I will gladly send you some pictures from the underside, just give me a few days since they are boxed up somewhere. One thing, the center beam on the long cars was made from built up sticks. Much like a glue lam beam. If I had to do it again I would use a plastic one since it is much easier to mark and drill an accurate hole for the trucks. Mine went a bit off center.....resulting in some not so nice running characteristic, especially on rail joints that have some irregularities.Also, they are very light and need some weight added by either wrapping some soldering wire around the axles or adding lead sheet(if you can find it) to the underside.
Have a good one
Chris

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby chris69 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:15 pm

Hi Denny,
Finally found the cars. here are the pictures. Hope they help.
best
Chris

Return to “Modelling Matters”