Macton works developments

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:33 am

What a crying shame - all that effort!

I only hope you can remedy the damage Michael as this layout went some way to inspiring me whilst attempting the beginnings of the Top Yard: this has stalled as we most all know, but it hasn't been abandoned yet by any means.
Hope you can find the energy and "where with all" to rescue "Macton" - I will be watching with baited breath as you do.
KBO .......................... Andi.

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Macton

Postby Bilco » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:37 am

Just catching up, post-Christmas. Great to see you posting again Michael! Also good to see Macton, despite the ravages of time and climate.

Bill
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:03 pm

Willow, Andi, Bill, thanks for the kind thoughts. I think this will give me a chance to make some adjustments so that I can include some water. I have no idea at the moment but took some time today to remove the mouldy end of the Drawing office.

First removed the end wall.

Then looked at what was left and cut the remains to create a return again.

Once the end wall of the asbestos building is replaced, I think that the bridge will be able to reinstalled

I am thinking about relocating the standard gauge track and using the location for a canal basin this will create some new opportunities for the crane, cranes? I might move the gate a little as well, I will have to consult with Bertrand first of course.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:14 am

michael wrote: so that I can include some water.
Remove water (damage) to add water, ironic, amusing.

michael wrote:I am thinking about relocating the standard gauge track and using the location for a canal basin
Those seem to be popular here.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:28 am

Hi Forrest I seem to recall you were making a long barge like boat a while back.

I crumpled up some blue wrapping paper to get a sense of what some water would look like.

I need to sit on this now and think about how to deal with the space between the main buildings, or whether to change it around some more.

Regards Michael

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:45 am

An interesting development.
Sad to see such a great building go (and surprised there was so little that held it up - it looked so sturdy from the front :wink: )
But its great to see the layout has regained your enthusiasm again, and it is being transformed into its second life. – a living layout.

The answer to what to do with the space between the buildings can be partly solved with the other statement about moving the gates. If the gates were moved and turned 90 deg so they were between the buildings, this would give the idea there are more industries beyond which also service the dock area. The only problem is how to blend the space behind the gates into the back scene..

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:14 am

Hi Glen, thanks for your kind words.

Also you said

If the gates were moved and turned 90 deg so they were between the buildings, this would give the idea there are more industries beyond which also service the dock area. The only problem is how to blend the space behind the gates into the back scene..

This is something I have been seriously considering.
Regards Michael

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:30 am

A little more mucking about.

I think there is enough room behind the gates, that there might have been all sorts of modifications to the site over the years.Most of the track has also sustained damage so I might be doing a bet more work there as well.

One other thought that has crossed my mind goes back to when I was at Junior School in London I went to Derwentwater and it was a gated estate at one time and the school yard was bricked in and basically left the gates in situ on the outside of the wall.
Regards Michael

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:17 am

This is starting to look how I imagined Gordon's "Bottom Yard". Although I must be careful as the "Top Yard" has progressed no further and if I take the "mick" that'll give Gordon permission to start wittering at me for the lack of posts recently too!!!

Good to see the potential is still there Michael, although I liked the gates where they were [they made a good "stage left" so to speak], and I think freeing up that centre section will allow for a much stronger point of focus - just my humble opinion of course.
KBO .......................... Andi.

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:48 pm

Hi Andi you make some good observations, some of the reasons that I will be moving ahead cautiously.

I put 6the trees back to see how they would feel I am thinking that just one tree will be sufficient, once some foliage and a bird or two are placed.
Regards Michael

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi Michael,
Have you given any thought yet to how the barge is to be unloaded (if gnot by the hands of Bertrand's workers)?

Maybe a vertical pillar type crane attached to the crane rail support pillar beside the barge? This may need an additional "stiffener" support pillar (vertical to track clearance height then angled across to the main beam with the crane) between the 2 tracks? Or are you planning something more mobile?
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:42 pm

Hi John, I went back to square one today. Moved what is left of the drawing office closer to the middle which freed up the edge for some fencing.

I think a pillar crane might just be the ticket though. I will save the water for the next layout. There are still quite a few things that I would like to finish for this one including the lowboy for the standard gauge.

I was not completely happy with the gantry crane it seemed just a bit cluttered, I do like the pole at the end of the truss though and some additional bracing will lend credibility to the setup. I think I can make a smaller crane for the truss and a swiveling one closer to the railing end of the dock.

Glens thoughts about the gates in the centre gave rise to another thought and that is an Archway, they seem to be in these days as well. "Back in the day" as they say the Victorians were a pretty orderly lot even if a bit over the top regarding some of their architecture. Since most of the track in the back needs to be reworked, A new building with an archway seemed to be the logical way to go.

This one will have a slate roof and a bit of a clock tower centered over the archway. The building will again be faced with sandstone but a slightly different look.

Oh goody more bloody windows! I just need to work out the transitions now at each end of the new head office.

Wow looking at these pics there is a ton of work to do. [mostly windows it seems.
Regards Michael

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Oztrainz » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:56 pm

Hi Michael,
:idea: If you're talking cranes maybe the "SnowFlake Challenge" can provide some "uplifting" inspiration?
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=5908
:idea: Gneed gnot gnescessarily run on rails :?:
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:16 am

John I feel really guilty about the snowflake challenge. I was putting together a Tome issue that covered the whole thing, I did get most of it put together before I ran out of Steam.

I cannot even remember how to upload it to the section any more.

If your out there reading Emrys I would like to finish it and upload it for the membership.

No Ill send you a PM
Regards Michael

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:42 am

So I`m not the only one who disappears for a year!
I have to weigh in here, my favourite part of the layout, of which there is much to be said, is the walkway and now it is gone! I am going to lodge a complaint with the head office! Now where would that be and I will proceed there forthwith!
Liked the water, would move the gates closer to the left end, keep the rebuilt building near the end, KEEP the overhead walkway in front of the new to be built building but make it a repurposed building with bricked in windows, and another new building section with doors and under pass through or into warehouse kind of thing.
Not that I have any strong views on this at all :lol:
Scott B

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:56 am

Ok Just for you Scott

But the gates stay where they are!

So I moved the rebuilt building to the end, Bricked up the windows , and filled in the arch.

The basin was drained when the railways came.

Scott good to hear from you, what have you been up to, Probably digging out from all that snow right now I bet.

It's walmed up to a balmy -6c right now positively shorts weather.
Regards Michael

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:58 am

Liking the latest layout. From the photo I can see at least another 30cm of space that you could add on the right hand side?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:42 am

Are you keeping the standard gauge Michael? I think I prefer that over the water option if I'm being honest.

Good to see this old favourite back in action BTW!

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Macton

Postby Bilco » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:26 pm

Hi Michael,

The new building certainly gives you more options on the layout of the works - I do like to see the walkway reinstated, if only because it was the inspiration for the one at Wood Bros!

It would be nice to keep the remains of the old office building, but it looks a bit isolated in the last iteration - there is no way to get to it from the rest of the yard, and the corrugated iron building behind it leaves it with very little depth.

Friday night's iteration had a pleasing grouping of the old and new office buildings; maybe you could move them left - removing the corrugated iron fence - and still have the walkway between the new one and the remains of the corrugated works building? Keep the gates where they are and have the old building outside them.

I'm enjoying watching developments - like it says in the title of this thread :D
Last edited by Bilco on Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bill

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Postby AndyA » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:01 pm

Good to see Macton back, Michael. You've also given me the impetus to go back and rework one of a number of projects that have been damaged over the years. I tend to get depressed when that happens and leave it 'for later'.

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

joe gilmartin
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: railroads fishing hunting austin healys

Postby joe gilmartin » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:54 pm

Michael......
Much props to you..........
My course to follow when something is damaged
is to get Pissed off and chuck it in the bin!

Your work has always been impressive And the future
of Macton Works appears bright.....

best of the new year to you (a little skiing at Big Sky for me)
Cheers
JH Gilmartin

Sole owner/operator
Moskito Coast Transfer Line

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:59 pm

Wow I had no Idea so many of you were concerned about the layout.
Thanks for all the great feedback.

Ian, I am not sure exactly where you see the extra 30cm

Colin, yes I am going to keep the standard gauge as it gives me more opportunities for rolling stock.

Bill, I am not going to get rid of the walkway it just need quite a bit of TLC.

Andy, I'm glad that I have prodded you a little.

Jo, I was really tempted to just say "F@#* it" and bin the whole thing on Boxing day, but a voice inside said don't give up! my tendency is to shelve things for a while, [I do have some unfinished projects that are 30 years old still have most of the bits in drawers] tough to let things go sometimes.

I needed to close in the open end of the asbestos building so got that done this morning. I also put the drawing office back where it belongs, I knew it would not work on the dock end.

The gates stay where they are, and the new bricked up building was shifted towards it and angled, which I like better, it will mean that the roof line will hang over the rear of the baseboard but that doesn't matter at this stage.

By shortening the asbestos building a few feet enables the walkway connection between the new building and it to have more length. Bertand seems to be bowled ver by the whole thing.

The whole crane thing is still giving me pause, it will sort itself out eventually The roof of the asbestos building will need to be reconfigured a bit too.

I think I will stick with the smaller tree :wink:
Regards Michael

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Macton

Postby Bilco » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi Michael,

Yes, that is very close to how I imagined the layout of the buildings! Having the frontages at different angles adds to the visual interest, although if you did away with the return on the old building you could maybe square up the new one and move it an inch or two to the left to get more length of the walkway.

Looks good to me, but it's your layout ....
Bill

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:11 pm

Hi Bill, thanks for your thoughts.

I think that this change works well to give me more length and for some better options beneath the walkway I will need to set the height a little better yet but that will happen when I angle the right hand end of the new building to match the one on the walkway.

I want to keep the return on the old drawing building to break the flatness.
Regards Michael

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Oztrainz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:26 pm

Hi Michael,
:idea: A suggestion for the crane - use your brass column to support one end of the crane rail between the 2 ng tracks and build an A-frame to support the other end of the cane rail near the sg flat wagon. Build a 2 sets of pulley wheels running on the top of each side of the lower crane beam flange. Between the wheelsets, mount an underslung plaftform below the cane beam flange, carrying a chain block and a small hoist drum . Use a loop of small chain just long enough to clear the ground at platform level to drive the hoist drum. For that type of crane rail you are probably good for a 2-3 ton lift capacity. On the A-frame, install a ladder and platform to allow access to the hoist and pulley wheels for lubrication/inspection purposes. All this ought to be well withn Bertrand's capabilities :wink:
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Return to “Modelling Matters”