Macton works developments

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Macton

Postby Bilco » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:18 pm

That looks really good, Michael - the set-back doors give a feeling of depth to the building and hint of things beyond. Maybe extend the lower siding through the gates to the edge of the board, as if the rails wander off along the street to another site ...

You obviously have the creative juices flowing at full strength!
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:36 pm

michael wrote:Hi John somehow I missed you last post or they crossed in the time zone ether, I think I followed up with a solution, which fits your red diamond spot for the post. I found a lovely A frame Gantry on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83791520@N00/5092847720/

Jeese That site can eat up a lot of time.

Forrest, yes I think so too.

Hi Michael,
This one looks like it is more complete
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kpiau/4021247989/
and a different one from the other side
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malleeroute/6850860775/
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:53 am

Hi Glen, Yes you are right it will be easy enough to make the doors hinge toward the front, then use a cassette to load a wagon.

Adrian, 36x12 inches that is some pizza box sounds like a three for one to me.

Simon, thanks for your kind words, any pictures yet of your new layout progress?

Bill, Your suggestion had been on my mind I was thinking it would also be a good way to connect to another module[who am I kidding this is the third iteration of the track plan of Macton] when am I going to find time to build another module?

John, thanks for those links, ate up another afternoon looking at cranes.

I set to work on the turntable potion of the track, first by using a 5 inch diameter hole saw, I decided the cable jack was a good way to go, keeps the electrics more simple.

I used my hand router plane to shave down the underlying ultralight MDF to the correct depth. A piece of scrap plexiglass was modified to act as a bearing plate.

After it was inserted I could cut the track to the correct lengths.

finally cut the opening for the head-shunt under the Asbestos building, and extended the track through the works gates.

Next to wire it up, I do have a question re the wiring these are electrofog points so I probably need to have at least one isolation gap because of the face to face points to avoid any problems. I'm not sure where is the best place to put it. I do want to keep the wiring as simple as possible, it is basically just an inglenook.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:28 am

Good to see Macton back Michael :D

Electrofrog points should be wired like this:-

I see you have the newer versions with the extra rail break between the frog and the blades, this is to prevent DCC controllers from seeing a momentary short caused by poor back-to-back clearances and shutting the unit down. You'll need to bond the blade side of these breaks to the stock rails to avoid any problems with poor electrical contact between stock rail and blade.

Hope this helps.

EDIT!

I've found a PDF on these newer Electrofrog points, see Here before adding the extra jumpers.
Last edited by More_Cats_Than_Sense on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:10 am

surprised you are using electrofrog, I find the modern insulfrog ones have such a small gap these days and don't find any performance loss. Why over complicate things, I also wire up my points so not dependent on point blade contact. Then add isolated sections to enable layout to used for more than one loco.
I like what Peco are doing now with points that can be either electrofrog or insulfrog. Hope they extend it to other scales/gauges.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi Simon the only reason I am using these electofrogs is because I had them. I do not have the funds to go to the city and purchase new points. at the time I purchased them they represented an outlay of $93.00 not a lot of cash by some standards but a lot to me.

I could have spent a few weeks and laid all my own track but I would like to use what I have to hand and not buy more stuff. I don't use DCC, because I haven't got the right types of control equipment so it is not a problem.

My goals at this point in my life are to work through all the stuff I have collected over the last 40 odd years, I don't have another 40 left unless I go over 100, not sure I even want to go there :wink:

All that said, I am having fun getting this back together, and it is a good job that it has finally warmed up a bit, or it might have been used along with some furniture in the wood stove to keep us warm. I know heresy.
Regards Michael

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:13 pm

Just keep at it Michael, makes my morning when i switch on and there is a Macton Update ................. just like the old days

I do think all the changes have done something many would not have thought possible and that is improve on the original ..............

Andi, if only the bottom yard could have got close :?
Gordon F

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:02 am

I'm following this with interest Michael, and it's nice to see you posting again. Sad to see the damage to the layout but it seems to have risen from the ashes with a new lease of life 8). I like the way you are going with the new version :).
Ian K
Be seeing you...

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:13 am

michael wrote:Hi Simon the only reason I am using these electofrogs is because I had them.
My goals at this point in my life are to work through all the stuff I have collected over the last 40 odd years, I don't have another 40 left unless I go over 100, not sure I even want to go there
Expect you've got a decade or better on me but I still understand the concept :D
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:33 pm

Michael, assumed that was probably the case. I am only considering using electrofrog for N gauge track, as the plastic frog is still too big on insulfrog.
Also for simple couple of sidings, no kick back, then I would use Electrofrog is that is what I had, but would still prefer to use insulfrog.
Given the advances in motor/chassis design, the need for electrofrog is far less than 40 years ago, which is why I am interested in the new developments where points can be set to either Electro or Insul frog. I would be just as happy if they did an insulfrog version of their code 75 track, especially the asymmetrical 3 way point. It would then be interesting to see which sold better.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:25 am

Gordon, Very kind of you to say so.

Ian, I am happy that I was able to get going again.

Forrest, yes there is no point in wasting what I already have. Pun intended. :roll:

Not much to report, The track is now nailed down with 1/2 inch finishing nails, and the layers of card being cut to form the yard surface.

I am excited to get to the part where I can do some of the painting similar to the stuff that Gordon was doing with the watercolour paper sets. I am done with the plastic body fillers. I want something that is easier on the lungs and watercolour seems to be the way to go.

Also I am working on some drawings of the overhead crane.
Regards Michael

bonneville
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: All things narrow gauge and crusty.

Postby bonneville » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:21 am

That is looking really excellent Michael, cant wait to see what kind of texture you add to the top!
8)

Regards, Alex.
Alex Housego.

In Rust, I Trust.

MT Hopper
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 18" and 20"gauge RR

Postby MT Hopper » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:54 pm

I must add my compliments to those regarding the new revised layout.
I also know how those floaty things can be distracting. Having no sea knowledge I thought I'd just drop a wee ship into my layout. Spent the last 8 months reading up on how to handle and load cargo and still only have the midship section roughly carved out. At least you've got a full hull.
Again I think the revised layout looks superb.

Cheers
Will
Cheers from the Heart of the Continent
Will

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks Alex. It will likely be a mixture of sets and concrete.

Will, I will not be adding ships or water to this layout but to the next one.
Any chance of a picture of your work
Regards Michael

Christoph
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways , sailing , music

Postby Christoph » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:25 pm

Hi Michael,

good to see you're working :D

Old love never dies :!:

Regards Christoph

MT Hopper
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 18" and 20"gauge RR

Postby MT Hopper » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:29 pm

I will post something a lot later. Right now I have an 8 foot long 14 1/2" wide piece of styrofoam VERY roughly being carved to match the hull profile of a Hog Islander. Shes being done in 1/48th scale to serve at my Cuban sugar loading port. I just finished learning about Yard and Stay and have moved on to having accidentally become a source for how the hull was plated. At the glacial rate I progress probably the summer before her hull is carved fully.

Cheers
Will

P.s. Not that I'm old but did you know the new fangled cameras dont even have film in them! Where's my SpeedGraphic!
Cheers from the Heart of the Continent

Will

joe gilmartin
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: railroads fishing hunting austin healys

Postby joe gilmartin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:46 pm

Michael..........
Best job I've seen yet on a Turntable
Love that old Stanley plane......
Your craftsmanship always amazes me

Cheers
Joe Gilmartin
JH Gilmartin

Sole owner/operator
Moskito Coast Transfer Line

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:43 pm

Joe thanks. I have been beavering away on the card layers, the first layer is glued down now and started working on the second layer. it is just lower than the top of the rails which is great because then the final watercolour layer will bring it up to the top.

The bottom edges next to the rails are beveled. to clear the chairs that are moulded into the plastic ties

The points are the trickiest bits I will just have to take my time. I had originally thought about using some form of wire in tube to operate them but in the final analysis I decided to just operate them by hand I will build some simple stands in order to do that.
Regards Michael

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:21 am

There's a nice flow to the lines of the track.
michael wrote:Image
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:26 am

Today I glued a sheet of 140lb arches watercolour paper to the card. I used a spray adhesive and coated the sheet of arches. to prevent the glue from sticking to the rails I coated the rails first with a graphite stick.

Then cut away the section over the rails, with a #11 blade.

The graphite worked very well.

A quick stippled coat of some eco latex paint from Rona

I did a bit of an experiment impressing some setts with a 3H pencil

Regards Michael

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:47 am

G'day Michael
Always liked the look of 'sunken' track and you appear to be capturing the 'flavour' of it well.
Its looking good.

(pity you got rid of the boats ---- but its your railway)

Have a good day
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:41 am

michael wrote:
I did a bit of an experiment impressing some setts with a 3H pencil

Overall effect superb Michael - the pencil setts are outstanding. 8)
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:42 am

Oh the Horror!!!!

"Arches" - you should be taken out and thrashed with bootlaces dipped in cold gravy!!!

At least I'm only using "Scholleshammer": but now I guess the German water-colourists are throwing their hands up - guess I'll be beaten with "bratwurst" or some such?

Joking apart, it's coming along very nicely - you have a very clean and organised workstyle which I envy Michael. I shall continue to follow your progress with much anticipation.
KBO .......................... Andi.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:12 am

The German Bratwurst -Mafia is quite happy paving their track with Blue foam and a specially made imprinting tool

But of course, we watch the Canadian Pencil Method with interest. As long as the rolling stock finds the rails, everything is OK.

Have Fun

Juergen

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:22 am

Ah! - but the Canadian pencil method was actually an English covert operation, performed under cover of mushy peas.

Remember that the Sun will never set on the British Empire: - but this only because God doesn't trust the English in the dark!
KBO .......................... Andi.

Return to “Modelling Matters”