Corrugated Iron anyone?

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:04 pm

The Fiskars crimper is not that widely available. Found it on eBay in USA but prepared to post worldwide. Given the price are they a lot better than the smaller ones I have found in UK.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:57 pm

rue_d_etropal wrote:The Fiskars crimper is not that widely available. Found it on eBay in USA but prepared to post worldwide. Given the price are they a lot better than the smaller ones I have found in UK.

Can only speak from my own experience, I have both the cheap type and the Fiskars version and I much prefer the cheaper option and use it much more. It seems to feed through straighter and the corrugations are almost identical from both. The only disadvantage to the cheaper ones is if you want to corrugate heavier material, but it is fine on paper and thin card.
Here is a pic of the type I'm referring to.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:45 pm

I just did a quick and dirty experiment with some brown paper.
first I put it on the driveway and stamped on it a few times to grunge it up.

next I ran it through the crimper

cut out some sheets and used the #11 to tear away the edges a bit.

Then chalked it up a bit with orange

added some dark brown

used a soft brush to blend

ran it through the crimper one more time.

It is a bit rough but I think that this method works fairly well. Some stiffer brown paper would be better, and a bit more time and care on the weathering of the edges to eliminate the feathery edges perhaps some paint instead of chalks, no end of possibilities.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

John New
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: railways large and small.

Postby John New » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:35 pm

Good ideas there Micheal, thanks for sharing them.
John
http://www.stephensonloco.org.uk | http://www.yorkshow.org.uk | http://www.island-publishing.co.uk

Remembering it’s a hobby and I am allowed to smile!

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Seems we can't get enough corrugated iron. I am looking into models for slightly smaller scale - 1/32 and 1/35. Plenty of military use of the material, but getting it curved for Nissen huts is more tricky. Might have a look at creating my own , in 3D CAd program.
I have the Pola G scale(?) curved corrugated sheets. These look smaller than 1/24 scale, with 10 or 11 bits per inch which I think is nearer the scale I am looking for.
Also corrugated aspedos is larger profile, so the Wills sheets might also be about right profile. Compared to that produced in Brittains farm models, they look too small, but is the Brittains actually reprosenting aspesdos.
There was a link somewhere to an Australian company which showed various profiles. What angle is the profile at, ie when it changes direction. If I make my own on computer I would need to know this.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:46 pm

I am about to start selling a full range of corrugated iron made from aluminium to the correct profile for roof sheets, ridge caps, gutters and barge ends ... but in 1:12 scale. All of these pieces have been produced from rollers and dies to correct pitch and scale.

Shame about it not being 1:124! :(
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:27 pm

Good luck with your venture Ian. 1/12th is getting more popular, especially with its near cousin 7/8th, but outside model railways , especially dolls house enthusiasts, theymexpect to pay rock bottom prices, and as a result get a relatively poor product.
For my 1/12th models I have found corrugated cardboard with top layer of paper is pretty close. Again with 1/24, the smaller corrugated cardboard(often found in train set boxes), is pretty near to 1/24. I am at the moment interested in 1/32 and 1/35, and I think the product Pola produce for G scale (it is assumed they mean 1/22.5), looks very narrow and I am using it for 1/32.
Military modelling is a big market, possibly bigger than serious model railwaying, which is why I am interested. If I know the angles for the profile, then I should be able to replicate it in my 3D CAD program. The main advantage for me is that the only real cost is the software(ouch), and my time, but as a mathematician I love a 3D drawing challenge. 8)
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Mike Lee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways/Modelling

corrugated sheet

Postby Mike Lee » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:07 pm

Simon

I was experimenting with curved corrugated card to make 'scale corrugated sheet' a few months back. I had a cardboard box from work that photo copying paper comes in. This was a sandwich of fine corrugated card between two layers of fine card, I would say the scale of the corrugations was between I-32/1-45. I soaked it in water for a couple of hours, the outside layers of fine card separated from the fine corrugated card. I then draped the corrugate card over a piece of plastic tube about 4 inches diameter, let it dry overnight, hey presto, a curved corrugated sheet, and quite rigid. Many boxes are made up of a sandwich of card/corrugated paper of varoius sizes, I would think you could get something near to scale, 1-24, 1-32, 1-45 etc. Hope this helps.

Mike Lee
Mike Lee

You should always go to the last one first!
You should cross all your bridges before you come to them!
Life is too short for counting rivets!
What happened to things that you dropped before Newton discovered Gravity?

MT Hopper
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 18" and 20"gauge RR

Re: corrugated sheet

Postby MT Hopper » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:56 pm

Mike Lee wrote:Simon

I was experimenting with curved corrugated card to make 'scale corrugated sheet' a few months back. I had a cardboard box from work that photo copying paper comes in. This was a sandwich of fine corrugated card between two layers of fine card, I would say the scale of the corrugations was between I-32/1-45. I soaked it in water for a couple of hours, the outside layers of fine card separated from the fine corrugated card. I then draped the corrugate card over a piece of plastic tube about 4 inches diameter, let it dry overnight, hey presto, a curved corrugated sheet, and quite rigid. Many boxes are made up of a sandwich of card/corrugated paper of varoius sizes, I would think you could get something near to scale, 1-24, 1-32, 1-45 etc. Hope this helps.

Mike Lee

Mike would the corrugations of the paper used to seperate layers in a box of chocolates be useable? Of course you'd have to eat the chocolates, but then sacrifices for arts sake are necessary. :twisted:

Cheers
Will
Cheers from the Heart of the Continent
Will

Ian Roberts
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways

Postby Ian Roberts » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:11 pm

For some time I've been using stuff I bought in art supply and craft shops. It comes in rolls of 70cm X 50cm and is manufactured by Clairfontaine of France The corrugated card has backing card which you can easily remove for overlaps or distressing. The pitch of the corrugations is just about right for 1/22nd. It's £2 -£2.75 a roll and comes in various colours. I've got a couple of rolls of rusty orange!

If you want to see how it makes up, the corrugated shed on Camas Orainn uses this for its outer shell.
Ian

Mike Lee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways/Modelling

corrugated sheets

Postby Mike Lee » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:58 am

Will

I experimented :roll: with a few different materials with a 'card/corrugated sandwich', i.e. various sizs of normal type cardboard boxes with large corrugations, the photo copy box as mentioned, and a couple of various intermediate boxes. Obviously :? :? :? it sems that to be successful, the glue holding the material together is water soluble so that the layers separate. after that just drape it over a container of suitable diameter and let it dry. All I can say realy is, get some card of the appropriate size, and just experiment, nothing lost if it doesn't work :!: :!: :!: and enjoy the chocolates or what ever was in the box :)
Mike Lee

You should always go to the last one first!

You should cross all your bridges before you come to them!

Life is too short for counting rivets!

What happened to things that you dropped before Newton discovered Gravity?

PeterH
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Railway history, drinking beer

Postby PeterH » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:52 pm

I used corrugated card on my snoflake crane roofs and found that when I painted it with acrylics it warped and the corrugations straightened a bit (of course, being wet).

My corrugated card came laminated with a layer of flat card, from an art shop. I got over the warping by stripping off a rectangle of the flat card the size of the sheet I wanted, weighing the edges down and painting the sheet, both sides, then cutting the sheet out.

It would have been easier to just seal it first.
Peter

rockershovel
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: narrow gauge industrial railways

Postby rockershovel » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:27 am

I'm not a tremendous fan of corrugated iron in the real world, but it is a common and very typical feature of minor lines of a certain period
rambling miner

Return to “Modelling Matters”