Haywards Estate Railway

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:08 pm

Congats on the award, The picture with the backdrop looks great and really adds to the realism. How did you make your shrubs the one in the foreground is spot on. I`m not sure why but I`m feeling thirsty looking at the scene with the background :roll: but it`s only 8am :?

Scott B

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, of course. Cricket , Footy and Holden cars!

Postby Gavin Sowry » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:07 pm

DCRfan wrote:This is the view before the small railway was built :P

http://wairarapa.co.nz/times-age/weekly/2001/brewery.html

I suspect Gavin was beside the real mainline when he took his photo :wink:

:!: :!: :!: The link in the above posting is COMPULSORY reading, especially for those challanged in the iconic culture of New Zealand. :!: :!: :!:
Gavin Sowry
Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Gavin Sowry » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:10 pm

scott b wrote:Congats on the award, The picture with the backdrop looks great and really adds to the realism. How did you make your shrubs the one in the foreground is spot on. I`m not sure why but I`m feeling thirsty looking at the scene with the background :roll: but it`s only 8am :?

Scott B

:shock: Didn't 'make' them, they are a natural grass/weed that just happened to look right. The big tree is also a natural weed called Yarrow, but you have to use it to actually make up a realistic model. :wink:
Gavin Sowry

Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Will Vale
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: BC narrow gauge, NS, Enoden, other stuff too long to mention.

Postby Will Vale » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:54 pm

Congratulations! You've done loads since I saw the layout at Railex, and the outdoor photography is a winner.

I'm a fan of digital photography myself, but I think film adds an air of verisimilitude which is hard to achieve with digital - definitely a screw-your-eyes-up-and-it's-real picture you've got there.

Cheers,

Will

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Gavin Sowry » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:22 pm

Will Vale wrote:verisimilitude

:?: Pasta...Does that come with tomato sauce? :?

8) Seriously, thanks for your comments. I have found that to get a good indoors shot, you almost need studio conditions. The lighting effects I am using now are good for display and to look at, but the camera sees it differently. The black background effect, with the layout spotlit is effective to the human eye. Where possible, I do like to photograph layouts outdoors, especially in the glorious weather we get here in Wellington.
Gavin Sowry

Gn15 Gnu Zealand

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:15 pm

Hi Gavin congratulations on your award! The photo with the backdrop looks real, I have to agree with Steve with regards to backdrops that are simply photos dropped in. They do not always work seamlessly. Yours being an exception it seems. My feelings stem from the same issue as that of framing a painting, I have sold watercolours that folk have considered pricey @ $60 then go and put on a $125 frame on them and expect me to get excited at what a great job they did of framing(commercial) of my art. The frame being considered worth more valuable to spend dollars on in terms of outlay than the painting.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Gavin Sowry » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:13 pm

michael wrote:Hi Gavin congratulations on your award! The photo with the backdrop looks real, I have to agree with Steve with regards to backdrops that are simply photos dropped in. They do not always work seamlessly. Yours being an exception it seems. My feelings stem from the same issue as that of framing a painting, I have sold watercolours that folk have considered pricey @ $60 then go and put on a $125 frame on them and expect me to get excited at what a great job they did of framing(commercial) of my art. The frame being considered worth more valuable to spend dollars on in terms of outlay than the painting.

:? Ah, the backdrop IS real. The tree behind the workshop is a model, the other three are real. It really was a case of striking it lucky...and can you see where the layout ends, and the real stuff begins. Seem to have got a reasonable colour match. The location is actually a national shrine to lovers of the amber brew in New Zealand. :wink:
Gavin Sowry

Gn15 Gnu Zealand

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Tue May 06, 2008 11:21 am

An update from tonights meeting.

As soon as the new fence was erected a cow arrived to try and feed on the grass on the other side :roll: Note the moss growing on the fence posts. Due to modesty I can't begin to describe what effect the greener grass has had on the cow :P

A view taken from a passing Tiger Moth topdressing aircraft.

Naturally my miniature loco had to have a trial run unfortunately the curves were WAYYYYYY to curvey :oops:

Now the test what do you think this lever operates :?: Please engage lateral thinking before responding.

Paul
Gnu Zealand

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue May 06, 2008 12:02 pm

DCRfan wrote:Now the test what do you think this lever operates :?: Please engage lateral thinking before responding.

My guess would be the door of the loco shed :?:

Thanks for the update Paul. I have to say that Gavin is really doing a good job on this layout, very inspiring. The great thing is, that although quick to set up to start with, as a test track even, there is plenty of space to add detailing as you want to, all the time being able to sit back and watch a train going around it. Adding further details as Gavin is doing, really extends the building cycle and keeps the interest going. A good case of a layout never being finished, wonderful.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

bluey1989
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bluey1989 » Tue May 06, 2008 12:15 pm

That lever looks awesome, I will back steve up there with the loco shed door too. :?:

Great looking layout, the miniture loco (bachmann gordon) is looking great too.

Andy

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Tue May 06, 2008 12:16 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:Now the test what do you think this lever operates :?: Please engage lateral thinking before responding.

My guess would be the door of the loco shed :?:

Gavin 1 Challenger 0 :P Sorry Steve
Paul

Gnu Zealand

bluey1989
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bluey1989 » Tue May 06, 2008 12:18 pm

What about the outhouse door?

Andy

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Tue May 06, 2008 12:32 pm

Well,
The (too?) obvious answer would be that the point lever operates :arrow: the point :?
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue May 06, 2008 12:41 pm

DCRfan wrote:Gavin 1 Challenger 0 :P Sorry Steve

:lol: Just realised, it is at the opposite end of the layout :roll:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Stu
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge & US outline

Postby Stu » Tue May 06, 2008 1:05 pm

Don't be silly.. It's the lever for the fridge door so that you don't have to stretch too far when getting another cold tinny! :lol:

Failing that, it's probably for the street lamp. :roll:
A coffee table used for coffee is a waste of space!

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Tue May 06, 2008 1:13 pm

Eject lever, but remember to hit the roof release first or you will end up with a terrible headache.

I really like all the recent additions to the layout.

Scott B

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Many things

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Tue May 06, 2008 6:39 pm

I wonder, could that lever be the throttle for the layout, I'm sure it's possible to build something like that.

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Gavin Sowry » Tue May 06, 2008 10:04 pm

Nick Ellingworth wrote:I wonder, could that lever be the throttle for the layout, I'm sure it's possible to build something like that.

:lol: Give the man the cigar :!: It is actually the forward/reverse switch. Voltage is controlled from the power adapted plugged into the wall.
The guy that made these, has just retired his parts business.
Gavin Sowry

Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Gavin Sowry » Tue May 06, 2008 10:59 pm

Stu wrote:Don't be silly.. It's the lever for the fridge door so that you don't have to stretch too far when getting another cold tinny! :lol:

:roll: I prefer stubbies, ice cold. 8)
Gavin Sowry

Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Many things

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Wed May 07, 2008 6:37 am

Gavin Sowry wrote:
Nick Ellingworth wrote:I wonder, could that lever be the throttle for the layout, I'm sure it's possible to build something like that.

:lol: Give the man the cigar :!: It is actually the forward/reverse switch. Voltage is controlled from the power adapted plugged into the wall.
The guy that made these, has just retired his parts business.

I was fairly close then, that's a really elegant way to disguise the forward/reverse switch.

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Gavin Sowry » Wed May 07, 2008 7:55 am

:lol: These were locally made, probably scale around 1:12-1:15 or there abouts. The basic white metal castings have various adaptations available underneath for electrical switches or even, surprise, real mechanical interlocking. Cost $NZ15-16.00, that's about 5 quid in the Queen's currency. For my actual power supply, I got the idea from numerous packings, and unpackings of Christmas tree lights...I actually started to read the transformer outputs etc. Figured I wanted about 6V and around 1A, so I went looking in the electronics store. What I finally found, was a plug in adapter that switched to 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9, and 12V and was rated at .9A. So now, Haywards literally plugs directly into the wall. The sudden stop/start is only noticeable if you are looking for it. The model points lever allows me to reverse. The only fine tuning I plan for this system is probably some form of slow power build up and shut down, be it electronic or a basic pot.
Gavin Sowry

Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Gavin Sowry » Thu May 15, 2008 9:11 am

:oops: Must give my Publicist a raise. :roll:

Haywards is lead article in today's Small Layout Scrapbook, and another Editor has been pestering me all evening to front up with an article for his magazine...he's admitted to lurking on this site. :shock:
Gavin Sowry

Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Stu
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge & US outline

Postby Stu » Thu May 15, 2008 9:45 am

Gavin Sowry wrote:Haywards is lead article in today's Small Layout Scrapbook, and another Editor has been pestering me all evening to front up with an article for his magazine...he's admitted to lurking on this site.

Congrats Gavin!

Makes me wonder how many magazine related people do actually lurk in the forums here looking for new material :?:
A coffee table used for coffee is a waste of space!

Panda
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: model railway, mostly my layout, music, sailing, leaf sprung land rovers

Postby Panda » Thu May 15, 2008 10:09 am

Im on there too! Carls site is brillent. Your layout is very good! it deserves the top spot!
Peter-John Sanders (formally known as mogbass01)

http://drws-y-coed-railway.blogspot.com/

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu May 15, 2008 10:35 am

Well done guys.
It is amazing how often members of this forum appear on Carl's pages, a good indication of how much innovative thinking there is here, I guess.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Return to “Modelling Matters”