Ralph Brammer models

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Ralph Brammer models

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:42 pm

Every so often, I get some photo's that land in my mailbox to post here on the forum, that really make my day. Today is one of those days. Former kit producer Ralph Brammer, though not in the business of supplying us with kits any more, is still modelling and turning out stunning models and wanted to share his latest creations with us. So here for your entertainment are his latest offerings.

First off, we have a freelance steam loco built upon a Fleishmann Magic Train mechanism.

Next we have a Gmeinder based design, which if I remember correctly, is mounted on a Bachmann Trolley mechanism. Still awaiting a visit to the weathering shop this one, so still a bit clean :) . I saw both of these loco's a few weeks ago and they are both really solid, chunky models, they really dwarf my own stock.

Now in my opinion at least, I have saved the best till last. My jaw dropped in amazement when I saw this. Totally scratchbuilt from styrene sheet, using nothing more than a 1:76 scale model as a reference, this AEC Matador truck is simply stunning. I really dont know what else to say, it left me speechless, so I will just post the pics, enjoy.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:47 pm

andrew blackwell wrote:The diesel is nice too & i can appreciate lots of hours gone into it. Little things like raised bead edges on cab panels. But it seems a bit on the big side to my eyes.

You are right Andrew, both the loco's are quite large and are built to 2"/60cm gauge proportions. I think the idea behind Ralph's layout is that secondhand equipment has been brought in and re-gauged to 15" to run on it, so most of his stock is bigger than we are used to.

To elaborate on how the truck wheels were done, here is a photo of a couple that Ralph gave me a couple of weeks ago. The tyres and wheel centres were done seperately, just one of each, then moulds taken and more produced in resin. Making 6 seperate wheels would have taken a lot longer and getting the tyres to look the same would have been a long job.

Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:01 pm

Sir Briand wrote:Boy, has this ever given me a very bad case of nostalgiaitis :shock:

A little before my time those card kits, but it does confirm what I had been thinking, that the shape of the truck would lend itself well to a printy, no I'm not offering to make one :) .

Another couple of pics recieved from Ralph of his latest model which is nearing completion. Built again on a Fleischman Magic Train mechanism, but with a saddle tank this time. Probably due to the colour, at first glance I thought it was the same loco as above, how wrong could I be, it is completely different :roll: , have to confess, I'm really quite taken with the low slung look of this one, the weight would all be in just the right place for a larger loco on narrow rails.

Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Ralph Brammer

Postby Rockley Bottom » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:16 pm

The picture of the lorry plans made me remember buying small wheels for the lorries. These, I think were ceramic. I tried to make several lorries but never really got them finished. When I was "now't but a lad" the main problem was lack of model friendly glue.

If I can explain my projected layout it will be a "day hole" sorry adit! withSteve's locos and battery locos working the mine. These will run to an exchange line wher the steamers take over and run onto a narrow boat dock on the old Dove and Dearne cannal. I still remember the canal basin at Barnsley, in Yorkshire UK as a working unit. I have made two boats a butty and a motor narrow boat, both to a scale 60foot in length.

The layout is to be 20foot long with a right angle at one end.
I had Barry and Edric round the other evening to pick their brains. Two and a half brains are so much better than a half!!

Ralph

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:50 pm

A couple more pics, of wagons this time. These are built from the kits produced by Michael Saettler and the Lasergang. I really like the van with the home produced decals.

And a few notes from Ralph that might prove helpful:-

"Thought that I would put a couple of Michael Saettler's kits on the site (if
you don't mind) The first is similar to the medi-van and I added my own
bogies.The second is his bogie truck.

If using these bodies for Gn15 they need lots of weight under the body to
keep them on the rails (which I have added), This is to be kept within the
width of the rails. I have not run these wagons behind a loco yet and
when I do I think Very slow running will be in order."

Not sure if anyone else has found the need for the weight to be added :?: As these wagons are quite tall, I would imagine the centre of gravity would be quite high and the weight low down would help to counteract this.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:28 pm

More_Cats_Than_Sense wrote:The diesel looks the part too :D I have one in kit form to build (courtesy of Ralph), just need to sort out some plans and a chassis :D

Not sure if this will be any help Barry

Although the wheelbase is not perfect, the Bachmann On30 Trolley mech should work for this ok. It would need some spacers to lift the body up enough for the sideframes to clear the rails, but thats about all the work required.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Re: Bedford

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:24 pm

Rockley Bottom wrote:This what happens when you make a cab too short :!: :!: http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u159 ... orry11.jpg

Ralph

Bit of an error in the URL throws it up as a 404 (file not found) there Ralph, I think this what you meant to link to.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u159 ... orry11.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u159 ... lorry9.jpg
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Bedford lorry

Postby Rockley Bottom » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:07 pm

Hi Andrew
I bought myself a 4mm plastic kit of the long-base Bedford, which I then stuck on the scanner and then enlarged it up to Gn15 scale (1:22.5). I also, with an electronic caliper, measured the model just to check some of the measurements. I think I must have made the equivalent of 3 lorries with misfitting bits, but it is reasonably accurate. I think the bonnet looks a little bit on the tall side, but that'll have to stay. It was only when I photographed the :evil: :evil: cab that I noticed it was about 6 scale inches short.
I could if you like E-mail you the diagrams I did and if you would like them, just let me know off list. One thing you might like to bear in mind if you're just showing the back end is that you could get away with reducing the scale a litlle, particularly if it is in the background. A three-quarter view would look good sticking out of a building. I could also send you some wheels if this would help. At the moment I'm just waiting for the 'white men in coats' :D :D to take me away! My Bedford is getting ready for the paint shop (grey primer) which will show up all the blemishes. I think a single malt is in order. Regards, Ralph.

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Rockley Bottom » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:55 am

Hi all
I also did a radiator which I cast, This may help some bodies if you want one. Pic also of wheels

Regards RalphImage[/url]Image

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Rockley Bottom » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:47 am

Hi all
The result of the first primer showing some faults that need filling.
The "broken back" look is due to not putting the bits together with care :!: :!:

Regards Ralph

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Rockley Bottom » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:00 pm

Pictures of the Bedford from the paint shop. Needs weathering and finishing. Letter will need thinking about :!: :!:

[ImageImage

Ralph

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Rockley Bottom » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:42 pm

Hi All

Nearing a finish. Needs number plates, spare wheel and exhaust pipe.

What I am looking for is a really really matt varnish. (uk) I do not like any gloss on models in this scale , the more matt the better.
The weathering looks a little heavy in the pics as against from eye view.
At the moment cannot find a short plank :D :D

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Bedford

Postby Rockley Bottom » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:05 pm

Thanks for the link Steve and the morale boosting comments. At 75 my eyesight is not as sharp as it wa a few years ago,b ut I have fun nor growing up. The nane on the truck is my father and the telephone number is birth date backwards :!: :!: I like to keep the haulagr firm in the family :!:

I found some Humbrol matt which I have used, It can cause problems over acrylic p-sint but I took a risk. I think it help to unify the shapes.

Ralph

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Narrow boats

Postby Rockley Bottom » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:36 pm

These are the narrow boats (motor and butty) which will be in the dock at the end of my ng line.
At the moment they are in primer, Halfords, with the base in black. The big problem is the painting of the cabins with the lettering.
The options are to try to make transfers (decals) in Coral draw:(I am not very good at this) :roll: :? or to draw and paint the information larger than required and reduce it as a photo copy to be stuck on to the sides. as shown with a beautiful loco on this site.

Comments welcome please:D :D :D

I hope these are not away from topic :?: :?:

One more problem for the little grey cell : :? :?

Ralph

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:54 pm

Superb as always Ralph, they look to be about the right length too. There is something about narrow boats, not sure what, but always attractive.

For the artwork, maybe simple is the answer, I'm not sure really elaborate patterns were used on work boats, that seems to be more of a preservation thing. Had a quick play and came up with this

Inspiration from this http://www.yampy.co.uk/garytilyard/dmcaunt.jpg
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Narrow boats

Postby Rockley Bottom » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:56 pm

Hi all

Steve you have it in one. :D I found how complicated the narrow boat is when I tried to make one. I have several books on canals etc. and your pattern for lettering is the correct style.

The length of the model is 32inches ( about 82cm). My excuse not to have them a scale 72 feet long is that there is a 60 foot long lock that restricts the length to 60 feet.

One thing I noticed on the boats of the period was that most boats were either owned by a company or are specific to a canal system.

I have chosen the name of the canal that came to Barnsley. This was the DOVE AND DEARNE canal

The motor was usually called by a male name and the butty a female name. I think these will be short names :!: :!:

Ralph

Catweasel
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways,Folk and Blues etc.

Narrow boats

Postby Catweasel » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:05 pm

F.M.&C.were a well known company on the water. If you have photoshop or similar,you should be able to cut the names out,resize then apply to your boat.
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Rockley Bottom » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:21 pm

Hi

Many thanks. I have just started on the lettering DOVE AND DEARNE CARRIERS as this was the local canal. If I fail to get it right I will sell the firm to Fellows and Morton :D :D :D and use the one on your picture :!: :!:

Ralph

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:52 pm

If you get stuck Ralph, I may be able to help. Rather than trying to resize from a photo, it really is easier to type the text on a coloured background. Not figured how to get the 3D shading yet using Photoshop, might have to try some different software for that. This wont be the correct proportions, but you shoud be able to have your first choice of name.

Steve Bennett

Sidelines

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:13 am

Hi Ralph I had to have a go at this as well
I am not very familiar with photoshop so here is a corel draw attempt
Image if you want any corel files let me know.

cheers
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:50 am

michael wrote:Hi Ralph I had to have a go at this as well

:lol: Hard to resist playing sometimes. Can see I will have to get Corel for the shaded lettering, not found it on any of my software (yet). One last one for tonight :wink:

Steve Bennett

Sidelines

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Postby AndyA » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:58 am

Paintshop Pro will do this:

(Times New Roman, 36pt, offset by 3 pixels horizontal and vertical). The hire-boat we had had changed gands over the winter and the name and yard details were done exactly this way, two sets of stick-on lettering and a thick coat of yacht varnish. To be fair, the yard does use a signwriter, but they ran out of time on our boat. Steve's right, most trad boats had simple exteriors, the roses and castles and suchlike are on the inside of the cabin doors, so if you want to model the stern (counter) doors open...

Right now I can't remember how to snap text to a curved vector, so that might not look quite so good done this way, you might need to do each letter separately, but very few of the traditionally painted boats I saw last week had anything other than straight (in fact the Thames area mandates that for lettering on the front).

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:53 pm

Yup, that works Andy, thanks for the tip. Tried it with the curved writing and failed miserably, even doing individual letters didnt work out, so back to a straight line now. Good exercise for learning new tricks with the software and a bit of fun this :) , poor Ralph will wish he hadnt asked :lol: .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm

Oooh this is fun :!: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Regards Michael

If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Narrow boat

Postby Rockley Bottom » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:25 am

Thought I would post the first mock- up of the butty cabin side :?

This uses Michael's art work and a sketch I did of a castle from a piture of a Narrow boat painting

Beading will be added around both, and a registration strip added just under the roof. There is a :!: :!: :!: lot too narrow boats , another learning curve :D :D [IMG]

.Image

Ralph

Return to “Modelling Matters”