Thought it was about time I bored you guys with an update on my experiments with static grass clumps
so you might want to switch to another thread now
OK, here we go, first up for this I have switched to a shorter length of fibres than I was using before, Why you may ask? Well, I thought they might stand up better and for once I was right.
On the previous tests I used 6mm length fibres and found that they tended to not stay upright long enough for the glue to dry, so went over to using 2mm ones instead and they are working much better (for me)
Here is the colour pallet I got to play with:
Same supplier that I got the previous batch from, as they were reasonably priced and supply in small quantities, ideal to experiment with. The four different blends of colours that are shown here, they sell as a 4 seasons pack, so seemed ideal to try them to see which are most useful. Their ebay shop can be found HERE
Right, on with the experiments. After searching around the web, looking at techniques others used to create clumps, I got totally confused and had so many ideas buzzing around in my head, i really didnt know where to start. So time to relax with a cup of coffee and well, I had to keep the coffee grounds didnt I
Mixing the coffee grounds with some dilute PVA, I set to work and the clumps were looking pretty good. Once dry though and taking them off the waxed paper, they were very delicate, quite a few falling apart. The size of the granuals were just too course to bind together properly.
So it was time to try again and this time the contents of a used teabag were put to use. The much finer texture of the tea was a lot easier to work with, little blobs were easily formed on the waxed paper, but best of all, once dry, they just came away so easily from the paper and the base stayed really flexible, which will be useful for applying to uneven surfaces.
Here is what they looked like:
So how to test them?
Well I made up three little bases to scenic up. They are not identical but good enough to show the steps used. The round bases are 80mm diameter to give a sense of scale, yes I should have included a coin or something
Anyway, here is the first one:
The ground surface was first painted a dark brown, then dried tea applied to a coating of dilute white glue. Once all the glue had been soaked up by the tea, more dilute glue was applied, then the first light covering of static grass applied. This is the autumn colouring shown earlier.
Once dry, time to move onto the next step, adding the grass clumps. To give the colour variation, i used the winter colour for this to give a bit of a burnt look to them. A bit more about sticking them on after the pic:
As I hope the pic shows, smaller clumps were used to blend in with the previously applied layer, and larger ones to rise above and create mounds to give an uneven surface.
Sticking them on couldnt be easier. A small pool of PVA/white glue on a piece of scrap plastic or similar. Pick up the clumps with some fine tipped tweezers, dip in the glue, then place in position. Might sound tedious, but to do this piece, probably too less than 10 minutes.
Now I could have left it there, but these bases will probably be used in scenic modelling demonstrations at shows, which I do occassionally. Part of these is on making plants from paper, so I had to include a few of them too
The paper plants are not fixed in place, most are on short wires just pushed into the base, while others are just placed on there. The positioning may well be changed about a bit, but I thought it worth showing how the different textures can be built up.
Well I guess I have gone on far too long, but hope there might be something useful in all the above.