Gnutley Grange, another pizza saga and the techniques used.

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:10 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:. I never really considered the sign until Gerry was looking for one for his layout, then all those times driving past it, must have left an impression, as it popped into my mind, as soon as he mentioned what he was after. Awful breach of copyright :) hope they never see it :).

I'll have to make sure I change my T shirt (suitably embossed) if I ever get an Invitation from that area :!:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:19 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:53 pm

Quite correct, I did... That took me back about ten years :) Mind you how we were able to look at the scenery being rattled in a Southern National green bus I don't know... :wink:
Andy in Stuttgart
More railway misadventures on:
www.korschtal.wordpress.com

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:55 pm

Quite correct, I did... That took me back about ten years :) Mind you how we were able to look at the scenery while being rattled in a Southern National green bus I don't know... :wink:

What we bneeded was a railway station in Wellington. Mind you, a 15" gauge lin in the aerosol factory, serving the old goods shed and the main factory over the busy road- now that would be a fun model...
Andy in Stuttgart

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:19 pm

Korschtal wrote:Quite correct, I did... That took me back about ten years :) Mind you how we were able to look at the scenery while being rattled in a Southern National green bus I don't know... :wink:

:lol: I know exactly what you mean :) . I have only travelled that road in a bus on one occassion, a long time ago, but can still remember what it was like.

A 15" gauge line in the aerosol factory, hmmm... I can see how that would work :) . I'm not absolutely sure it is still there, been a while since I have been that way, but I have a feeling, that area has been redeveloped.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Korschtal » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:09 am

I was thinking about the pile of logs by your shed: In Germany we leave them outside with a tarp or in a shelter to dry out if they are meant for firewood, so the presence of a logpile doesn't mean you have to have a stove. A tarp would look nice though.
Andy in Stuttgart

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:09 am

Korschtal wrote:A tarp would look nice though.

Wouldnt look as nice though Andy :) , there is something about the look of wood that is really attractive, to me anyway :wink: . I guess I could extend the roof so they will be covered by the overhang, I'm not even sure yet if that is where they will go, so will leave it for the moment.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Korschtal » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:29 am

Sorry, bad communication on my part :oops: Said tarp/piece of wood/whatever is to hand would only cover the top and keep the rain off. You want the sides free for the air to get at it...
Andy in Stuttgart

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:53 am

Korschtal wrote:Sorry, bad communication on my part :oops: Said tarp/piece of wood/whatever is to hand would only cover the top and keep the rain off. You want the sides free for the air to get at it...

Ah, good point, now you mention it, I can picture what you mean and think I might just give that a go on another one. No shortage of wood here, i cut way too much to use during the winter :lol: .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Korschtal » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:57 am

If I see a pile when I'm walking next I'll take a picture and post it. The wood has some visible differences in colour depending how old it is or where it is in the pile- or am I now "Log counting"? :shock:
Andy in Stuttgart

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:07 pm

Korschtal wrote:If I see a pile when I'm walking next I'll take a picture and post it. The wood has some visible differences in colour depending how old it is or where it is in the pile- or am I now "Log counting"? :shock:

No, it is called observation :) . Taking in small details like that is an asset when modelling in a larger scale, those subtle differences can really bring a model to life. In the smaller scales, your mind is concentrated on the overall scene, but in the larger ones, you look into it. You are a natural Andy, it is only a matter of time till you come over to the darkside :lol: rather than hovering on the borders in O scale :wink: .

Oh, and any photo's would be great, log piles are quite rare around these parts nowadays.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:56 pm

They forgot to cover this pile BUT as it's a Chalet I guess the roof overhang does the job:
http://www.catered-ski-chalets.co.uk/im ... r-snow.jpg
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.

http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Gerry Bullock wrote:They forgot to cover this pile BUT as it's a Chalet I guess the roof overhang does the job:
http://www.catered-ski-chalets.co.uk/im ... r-snow.jpg

Yes, there is usually quite an overhang on the mountain chalets which protects the log pile, so you dont tend to see any form of cover in mountainous areas until you get high up.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Woodpiles

Postby Korschtal » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:08 am

Here at last are a couple of pictures of a typical wood shed. I doubt you've been waiting with baited breath, but sorry it took so long... :oops:

General view of the shed...

Head-onn view, showing the change in colour of wood (at the bottom, not the top :oops: Blame the pills)

Closeup of weathered wood for no reason other than I liked the texture as the sun set. This was without any protection for some reason. Apparently wood is usually harvested in Autumn, and will typically be left for up to 2 years to dry. Our neichbour has just finished stockpiling and his house has practically dissapeared :shock:
Andy in Stuttgart

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:06 am

Thanks Andy, those are very useful reference photo's. The last one highlighted that I didnt add any smaller round material to my log pile, must do that on the next one.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Mitch
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Railway modelling, 1/1200 Ship models, Photography

Postby Mitch » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:44 am

A mixture of pine and birch cut and stacked. When it's had a few days to air, it will be re-stacked in the shed behind for the winter. The wood has been cut into approx. 40 cms lengths in order to fit into a Husquvarna stove. Each piece will need to be split with an axe along it's length before it's ready to burn. The wood dries out to a pale grey colour as it dries and weathers. Some of the wood has lichen growing on it - this leaves white patches.

John Mitchell

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:16 pm

Thanks John, interesting to see the way you have stacked it at the end so it can be freestanding. Hope you managed to get it undercover before all this rain :) . Now who would have thought a simple woodpile would create this interest :lol: .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Mitch
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Railway modelling, 1/1200 Ship models, Photography

Postby Mitch » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:32 pm

The wood is at our summer house in Sweden, where I understand they're currently experiencing exceptionally dry weather. Funny business, all this climate stuff .....
John Mitchell

jay
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

bending the topic

Postby jay » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:48 pm

that's how i was taught to stack it on my first caretaking job by the property owner. let the air circulate and the wood would dry evenly and quickly.

but my intention of comment is to displace the rumor that "the simpler times" have all but vanished. as pertaining to this thread, we have 7 pages of comments on a circle of track less than 24" in size. now, we are all "adults" of some accord, but yet we are able to put aside the complications of life in the 21st century and focus, even if only for a bit, on the simple treasures of creating something which serves only to be created and enjoyed.

Tamnavulin
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: A lot...

Postby Tamnavulin » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:39 pm

mitch wrote:The wood is at our summer house in Sweden, where I understand they're currently experiencing exceptionally dry weather. Funny business, all this climate stuff .....

They are?`I mean.. we are? :shock:
Ok, it´s sunny in Umeå today but not in southern Sweden.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/jonkoping ... 19,00.html

Dams are bursting, and words like 'chaos' are common in news reports. And the papers say that there´s more bad weather coming.

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:52 pm

Agree with you there Jay. After a few busy months :( I was able to sit down for a few hours modelling this afternoon; very theraputic :D

Simon.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Re: bending the topic

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:40 pm

jay wrote:but my intention of comment is to displace the rumor that "the simpler times" have all but vanished. as pertaining to this thread, we have 7 pages of comments on a circle of track less than 24" in size. now, we are all "adults" of some accord, but yet we are able to put aside the complications of life in the 21st century and focus, even if only for a bit, on the simple treasures of creating something which serves only to be created and enjoyed.

:D That makes me very happy to see your comment Jay. It sums up very nicely what this is all about. A few moments put aside just to make something for the fun of it, are one of the best therapies in life that I can think of. If it is something that you can make use of, thats a bonus, but the real value is in the creation.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:22 pm

I have to agree....People look at the SOUTHPASS LINE and say " when will it be finished". My answer is " it's a hobby, it dosn't have to be finished" :D .
.....WARNING....
Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.
1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.
Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......
Have a good one....John B.

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:25 am

I so agree its fun just travelling slowly and enjoying it even if I never arrive, after all, this means if I arrive I have to start travelling again :) :)

And I do enjoy being able to have the privilege of experiencing other peoples modelling travels.

Please keep sharing

Ralph

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Modelling, painting, photography

Postby andrew milner » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:41 pm

Total agreement here! As an armchair railway modeller for (many) years, I was always frightened to start a layout in case I didn't have the skill (or finances!) to finish it. Since discovering you guys (and girls?) I found I learned more by trying things than I ever will just reading about it! And the great thing about a pizza or small layout is that it's almost finished as soon as you start it IF that's what you want, or you can keep going forever with the details as time and skill permit.
Andrew Milner, still trying to figure it out....

Return to “Modelling Matters”