Andrews' Card challenge layout

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Modelling, painting, photography

Andrews' Card challenge layout

Postby andrew milner » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:50 am

I thought I would start a dedicated thread for my challenge layout. Then it's easier for those not interested to avoid :D . It should make the original thread a bit easier to follow too 8)
Anyone wishing to know where this all came from, and who may want to join in the fun see here
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=2021
So, from my initial 36"x16" thoughts (thought I'd never finish it!) I cut the 'baseboard' in half to give 18"x16" for a sort of pizza.
This is where I was up to on the original thread, with fake turnout. The papier mache for the roadway was not stable enough so I glued a piece of card on top. I have also built the sides for the workshop from thick card. This will be covered in thinner card and bricks (more later) I have also started the 'fence' which is WOOD. Could have used card but this was easier!
More soon! Furthest I've ever got with ANY layout :D
Last edited by andrew milner on Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Andrew Milner, still trying to figure it out....

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:20 am

Looking good Andrew, certainly further than I've got and I've never yet built a layout either :oops:
I just change other modellers first impressions :lol:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:30 am

Congratulations in your first layout. Looking good but that is a might tight clearance between the corner of the engine shed and the main line 'all passengers ensure you hold your arms inside the carriage or ouch' :?
Paul
Gnu Zealand

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby andrew milner » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:58 pm

PASSENGERS! What are they!! (Yes it's a juster as we say oop north!)

Hudson Hunslet
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Feldbahn, Narrow Gauge, London Underground, Ford Mustang

Postby Hudson Hunslet » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:08 am

Nice pizza so far! I`m looking forward to see it processing!
Regards
Last edited by Hudson Hunslet on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Re: Card challenge layout

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:48 am

Andrew Milner wrote:I More soon! Furthest I've ever got with ANY layout :D

How often do we hear that around here :wink: . It's great to see you taking the plunge and joining in the fun. Coming together well Andrew, I like the way you have filled the centre with structures, a bit different for a pizza. The clearance next to the shed does look pretty fine though, better make sure your loco driver keeps everything tucked inside the loco :) .
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby andrew milner » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:49 am

just edited the title to match Pauls thread! Then when all the others start appearing ( :D ) they should be easier to follow :twisted:

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:53 pm

Good start - looks fine.. keep going! keep going! :lol:
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/
(all earlier sites sadly demised :-( )

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby andrew milner » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:10 pm

As this thread was nearly at the bottom of the page, I thought I'd better do something! (although I have been busy modelling :D ).

So just a couple of quick pics, taken with flash 'cos it's pouring down here again :cry:

The first is a general view showing the building has been (almost) covered in white card and painted a stone colour. Interior will be whitewashed brick (I hope!). The beam for the roof is meant to be that shape as I want some 'sag' :lol:

Second picture is a bit of a closer look at the 'fence' which is corrugated card painted silver then dry brushed with various brown acrylics. Might re-do them grey (gray :D ) rather than silver. Gates to come!

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:37 pm

Great work Andrew,
I think that the corrugated iron looks exactly like 20 year old galvanised iron sheets, they look incredibly lifelike 8)
Looks like you might have a clearance problem somewhere around the track though :!: :lol:
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Hudson Hunslet
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Feldbahn, Narrow Gauge, London Underground, Ford Mustang

Postby Hudson Hunslet » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:01 pm

Hello, the pointwork looks interesting to me. Any photos with details? Selfbuild?
Best wishes
Last edited by Hudson Hunslet on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby andrew milner » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:12 pm

Jon, don't know if you noticed the driver had a problem leaning out too far :D . Actually, the (remains of) the loco at front is narrow enough to miss the building (just :twisted: ) It came that way because when I made the 'pointwork' the loco in the shed was the limiting factor so it is a tight squeeze!

As for that point Andreas, yes it is self build but is a fake. As the loco in the works doesn't work either (previous old story :lol: ) the site is a mechanical engineering shop as will become more obvious when the other elements appear in due course. If you look at this, you'll see why I don't take many overhead shots, gives the game away :!:

By the way, scenery will be Autumnal, not winter! I have decided to use 'proper' ground cover to practise for my Cheshire challenge layout!

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby andrew milner » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:13 pm

Now I've sent Steve's parcel, thought I'd better do a bit on this before I disappear off the bottom of the screen :D . Paper bricks started on the workshop exterior. Should have started at the edge but when did planning ever figure strongly :wink: Might have a few stretched bricks to get round the corner :!:

Started with watercolour paper, painted various washes of reds and browns.

Cut bricks to size. Notice that thickness of paper means white edges are noticable so put on greaseproof paper and brush browns/reds along edges. I found it didn't matter if these washes got on the brick faces already painted, just added more variety. Then stuck one at a time ( :shock: ) to side. Wish I'd painted the wall a darker shade than the 'stone' I thought would do for mortar.

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:35 pm

Looks very effective Andrew. 8)
I wonder if you do it on brown or red paper it would save painting the edges :?:
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:38 pm

I like the brickwork Andrew, very effective.
I wonder wether using a spirit based ink to stain the paper, rather than painting it, might do away with the sides showing white, as the ink would probably colour it all the way through. Might give a bit too uniform a colour though. Just a thought. I have been using inkjet printer ink for staining paper for leaves and it works pretty well.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:12 pm

Andrew unless the photo is telling lies your corrugated looks just right as Jon has already said.
I guess the brick white contrast is a tad extreme BUT should be easy to rectify; my way would be to try a watercolour wash of colour you want over whole surface.
You'll try it first on some left over bricks stuck to similar paper - thataway you'll see how the brick colours change as they will. Fixing with a clear varnish spray will make the watercolour permanent.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.

http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby andrew milner » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:06 pm

Thanks all. Gerry, why didn't I think of washing the whole lot :roll: Thanks for the idea :wink:

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:00 pm

That looks good Andrew! I'm looking forward to seeing the roof, from the shape of that main beam I'd say it's gonna be a bit saggy :)

Dave O.
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Model Railroads, any scale, small sizes.

Brickwork

Postby Dave O. » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:37 am

Andrew, Timely post! Your brickwork looks good; I was thinking of doing a brick building in a similar fashion (built up of individual paper brick faces) so I appreciate you sharing the results of your methods. :D

Dave O.
"But this one is different!"

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby andrew milner » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:23 am

As 'my' thread was nearly on page 3 (no, not THAT page 3 :D ), I thought I had better do something! I have got a bit further with the 'workshop' and am about to get back to it today but here are a couple of interiors!

The bricks are again watercolour paper cut out and individually applied, this time unpainted until done then painted with thick white artists acrylic to fill the mortar joints a bit and hopefully look like whitewashed walls then black weathering powder applid for dirt/streaks. Windowas are simple card frames, the one at front is now glazes with acetate, while the rear two have tracing paper glud over the backs so you can't see through but will let light in. (just realised I haven't got up to date shot of overall but will do this afternoon)

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby andrew milner » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:22 pm

Another of my 'regular' :D updates. :D I wanted the roof to 'sag' so I started with card strips for beams/joists. these were cut in a curved shape and glued on.
Next I glued some paper (old Autotrader) on using some left over wallpaper paste. This soaked in and allowed the paper to follow the contours.
Next, took a piece of stiff card and drew lines giving 1/2" squares then painted artists acrylics in lines using black, white, yellow ochre and blue mixed randomly. Applied thickly and in layers to give ridges on the 'tiles' as they are to become.
Cut into squares (freehand so they were a bit uneven) with the odd corner cut off for damage etc. then glued on from the bottom up. Some allowed to 'slip' for an uneven look.Image
After they wer all on, I thought the colours too strong so I painted a wash of pale green over the lot, sort of moss colour.
I have also finished the interior brickwork and added a bench.
I have also started the cobble road. This will be well overgrown so I made a 1/8" or so thick piece of DAS modelling clay to the approximate shape and contours then when dry I roughly drew the cobbles on then carved them with a motor tool. Painted with artist acrylics, the gaps will be filled with 'earth' and 'grass'.

Finally for now (!) I have made a 'box' to set it all in. This will give me control over the viewpoint as well as something to stick the backscene to. I am also going to put lighting both on the layout and above so there will be a 'roof' to block out unwanted light. The space underneath is needed for another aspect of the project :D :wink: (Hope I've got enough time left :roll: )Image

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:47 pm

Andrew the layout is looking fantastic. The little brick building is really full of character, I really like it.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:49 pm

Thats taking shape very nicely Andrew, the building is looking very good and I'm really taken with the look of the cobbles, they will look great once you add the earth and plant life.

I'm intriqued about the space underneath, there is no giveaway on top yet that I can see. Guess we will have to wait :) .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:47 pm

I really like this layout and your approach. It's coming together beautifully!
Chris

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:06 pm

I really like that sagging roof.

It is hard to get the right amount of 'sag' so it looks like you intended to do it that way (rather than making a real bad job of a straight roof :lol: ).
You have got the effect very well.

Return to “Modelling Matters”