I know this is an old thread, but I built a high voltage tea-strainer this afternoon following this article on the County Gate site:
I was inspired by some of the pictures in old electronic copies of 220 Das Journal (http://www.220dasjournal.de/
) where there is some very nice static grass on a Z diorama. If anyone else fancies trying it it was cheap, easy, and you can do a neater job (no glue) than the article suggests if you pick the right shape of tea strainer for the swat handle. I was able to trim the strainer and use suitable holes and part of the swat's head to fix it firmly using only the existing mountings - it means I can take it apart again if necessary, and I didn't have to fill the end with epoxy
The swat I found is quite well made, mostly assembled with screws so easy to dismantle and reassemble. I had to break a couple of glue bonds to get the racket-head out of the handle, that was about all. The circuit sensibly has a resistor across the output capacitor so it can discharge when you turn it off - if you follow the tips in the original article for a high power version you lose this, hence the need to discharge it manually.
I did a couple of tests, and while I'm not mad about the colour of the cheap Jordan fibres it doesn't look too bad.
I noted Steve's advice about keeping the fibres out of motors, I'll be taking care, thanks! Hopefully I can show some in-scene results fairly soon.