The Stamping Ground Gold Mine

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:51 am

but I did detect a small squeek by the end of day 1.

I gnow just how you felt :lol: A day standing at an exhibition does that to me to :wink:
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:16 pm

Fear not!
The bright yellow building is no more. The dirty black water hit it last night. Still some finishing to go. The roof needs light rust. The door needs painting. And the balcony needs a hand rail.

And here are a few snap shots I took of the other layouts at the train show:
http://www.trainweb.org/trainshow/photos.htm

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:16 pm

Glen A wrote:Fear not!
The bright yellow building is no more. The dirty black water hit it last night. Still some finishing to go. The roof needs light rust. The door needs painting. And the balcony needs a hand rail.

Much prefer Gnew finish Glen and on the subject of "light rust", like this perhaps :twisted:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:14 pm

That is a fantastic weathering effect Gerry. It is the sort of thing I would like to be able to do. But at the moment I can't, so I'm better to try for something less demanding until I get better at it.

Here is my attempt (on the little shed) which looks more like the red paint fell off and you can see the iron underneath, rather than the iron has rusted through, which I was attempting to create. This effect wouldn't look right on the bigger building, so I will try a different method for light rust. If that works maybe I'll try more later.

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:28 am

Latest progress is that I have now made a successful modification to one of the Bachmann V skips to get it dumping reliably very time. Now I'm starting on the same mod to the others. The modified wagon is next the engine (and the mod wasn't putting rocks in it).

Sorry I don't have time to upload all the photos and details today, but you'll get them next week (along with an article for the website for Emrys).

Once I am happy all these wagons dump reliably, I can devote some time to connecting up all the track wires on the top line, and start to work on that.
I’ve also got modification plans in store for the bottom line, but the various options are still whirring around in my head, and a definitive solution has not been settled on yet.

p.s. that horrible dump slide in the photo is only a temporary one.

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:21 am

I have put the full details of how I modified these wagons into a seperate thread:
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?p=41364#41364

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:23 pm

Have finished modifing all 3 dump wagons.
Last night I wired up the track on the top line, and then had a few test runs dumping them.
Pulled the wagons in, ran the loco around, propelled the wagons down the head shunt and dumped the load.
Some of the clearances were a bit thight on the run-round loop, but thanks to foam rocks, I soon had that sorted (wouldn't have been so easy with plaster rocks!).
Anyway this calls for a celebration, (so might just have to pay a visit to ebay later in search of a loco to run the top line). I do like that heisler Christopher Payne has built in the Paradise Mining thread. Something like that would look great up there.

Next mission is to make a few changes to the incline.

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:10 pm

Hi Glen, Congratulations on getting your top line operational.
Foam rocks do make life easier and the layout a lot lighter.

Suggestion for motive power for the top line:
Given that you are from NZ I would have thought a Price or Johnston unit might have been the way to go, rather than a "Yankee import" Heisler.

for inspirations see
http://www.trainweb.org/nzgearedlocomotives/
Just squeeze the wheels in a bit and you are good to go.
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:15 pm

Good to hear you got it all working Glen, now you can really enjoy playing with it :) . Probably slow down the speed of construction a bit though :wink: .
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Geno6309
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: NG,Sports Cars,Anything with 'fiddly bits' inside

Postby Geno6309 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:13 am

It must be because you guys in the Antipode hang upside down all the time [keeps the blood up on the brains where it belongs]. Those engines in that link are so inventive they border on genius. Don't know which side of the border, but they are fantastic!
"I'm not building a model of a railroad. I'm building a caricature of one." Bill Livingston, Venango Valley RR, RMC 1971
Words to live by.
Gene Walker
www.fcdetc.blogspot.com

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:42 pm

Oztrainz wrote:Given that you are from NZ I would have thought a Price or Johnston unit might have been the way to go, rather than a "Yankee import" Heisler.

Actually there is a Yankee 3'6" gauge Heisler at the Ferrymead museum here in Christchurch, and a Climax at Shantytown, just over the mountains on the west coast.
I think a 16 wheeler might be too long to make it around the loop.
But I suppose I could do a Price Cb (similar to an A class climax, with vertical cylinders in the cab.

Steve Bennett wrote:now you can really enjoy playing with it :) . Probably slow down the speed of construction a bit though :wink: .

Actually other than doing a bit of testing, I never run the layout at home. I always find something that needs fixing or completing. I get more enjoyment building the parts anyway. This leaves me fresh to enjoy running it at a train show.

Just for Gavin, I got some pictures while it was still daylight so I didn't need to use the flash.
As you can see can see it is a tight fit to get the three wagons in, and clearances around the curve are too tight for a long wheel base loco like a 16 wheeler

Here is the head shunt. I deliberately made it only long enough for the 3 wagons (and not the loco too :twisted: ) so you are forced to run the loco around the train before dumping to give more operation.

A general view, still plenty to finish on the bottom level.

And here is a better photo of the loco shed, I hadn’t got around to posting until now.
It is just corrugated cardboard, glued on MDF.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:14 pm

Looking really good Glen. The scenery on the upper level is very effective, just the right mixture of rock and vegetation, reminds me of my youth when there was still a hard rock mining industry.

I can relate to what you say about not operating at home, I'm much the same. Other than testing when new, the layouts that get taken to exhibitions, never get plugged in at home, keeps them more interesting when you have to spend a full day with them. May sound strange to some, but you are right, it works.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

http://www.pepper7.com

Christoph
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways , sailing , music

Postby Christoph » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:02 pm

It's good to see the progress, Glen .

Wonderful layout :!: :!: :!:

Christoph

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:21 am

I gnow you have probably answered this a hundred times already, but how did you make the stratified rocks Glen :?:
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:59 pm

I realise this is probably a display of ignorance, but would the driver on the upper level face outwards, over the edge that way? It makes it hard to nip out and change the points or go to the privvy.

I expect I'm missing something...
Andy in Stuttgart
More railway misadventures on:
www.korschtal.wordpress.com

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:47 pm

Korschtal wrote:I realise this is probably a display of ignorance, but would the driver on the upper level face outwards, over the edge that way? It makes it hard to nip out and change the points or go to the privvy.

Bad manners Gnot to face audience Andy :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.

http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Modelling, painting, photography

Postby andrew milner » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:38 pm

I'd certainly want to know where that drop was :shock: Maybe a different cab design is needed Glen 8)
Andrew Milner, still trying to figure it out....

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:36 pm

michael wrote:I gnow you have probably answered this a hundred times already, but how did you make the stratified rocks Glen :?:

They are Foam Rocks.
Piece of foam. Run saw (or knife) through. Then use wire brush, and pull out pieces at random. Then slice up into pieces.
Mix up skim coat, black paint, and small amount of plaster. brush on with paint bush. When dry, glue into place with liquid nails. Dry brush to high-light areas and add scenery.
Next time I make some more I'll get some photos, but a man of your talents can probably work it out.
More details and pictures here: http://members.westnet.com.au/mjbd/html ... rocks.html

[quote=Korschtal] I realise this is probably a display of ignorance, but would the driver on the upper level face outwards, over the edge that way? It makes it hard to nip out and change the points or go to the privvy.
[/quote]

Don't worry about the cab on that loco. That loco is only there because it is the only loco I have at the moment that I can photograph. (The other is still a white plastic job if you look on page one of this thread).
That cab is going to be rebuilt anyway, but the loco won't be assigned to running that section in normal operation anyway
I visited ebay, and hopefully there is a new loco for that line on the way as I write this. 8) 8)

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:42 pm

Gerry Bullock wrote:
Korschtal wrote:I realise this is probably a display of ignorance, but would the driver on the upper level face outwards, over the edge that way? It makes it hard to nip out and change the points or go to the privvy.

Bad manners Gnot to face audience Andy :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yup, you got it in one Gerry!
Plus the back of the cab has no details and looks really ugly.
The next loco has got a seat you can swing around, so the driver can face the audience, regardless of which way you decide to run the loco.

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:43 pm

Well, got home last night to find a package had arrived from the Favourite Spot with some future candidates to be added to the 'Fleet'

A new red Davenport. Put it on the track for a quick test 8) 8) You really can't got wrong with these.

And an HO GE44 Tonner for a future geared steam loco since Christopher Payne inspired me with his new Heisler on the Paradise Mining layout.
Put that on the track and :shock: Nothing happened :( :cry:
Then I did notice the lights were going :? .
Not wanting to spend more than the loco was worth in postage sending it back again :x , I took of the top off and put power directly on to the motor contacts. the motor ran. Phew. Looked at the motor wire connections into the circuit board, and found nothing is soldered on, all wires are just a pushed on with black plastic clips. it is just a surface touch connection.

Out with soldering iron and fixed that.
Got it working on the bench with the circuit board unclipped, but every time I put it together, nothing.

To cut a long story short, an hour later I discovered there are also some copper clips which bridge 3 terminals at the edge of the circuit board (the idea is you remove them and connect your DCC circuit to it).
The copper contacts do not make good connection. I tried to reshape it, but in the end I threw it away and soldered a piece of wire across the terminals. (see the wire where the arrow on the circuit board points to. to the left of it you can see the other copper clip).

I would have to say, not one of Bachmann's better efforts!
Anyway now it is working, it has been put away for Santa to give it to me in a months time.

If I had of waited a few more weeks, The Favourite Spot now has On30 trams, and I would have got one of them instead.

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:30 pm

Glen thanks for the answer on the frocks I am familiar with them I did infact use them on Chalk Mine.

I you can find an old Ge44 tonner the ones with the double bogie motors they are much better than the new ones.
Regards Michael

If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:19 am

michael wrote:If you can find an old Ge44 tonner the ones with the double bogie motors they are much better than the new ones.

I didn't realise there were two versions. I did see your one with two motors and I thought that's what I was getting. I was surprised to see there was only one motor in mine when I opened it.

Another case of just because a product has changed, doesn't mean it is going to be better. There are heaps of examples where the old version is better than the new one.

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:29 am

Hi Glen,
The Bachmann mech under the 44-tonner was changed about 18 months/2 years ago. The only way to pick up the dual motor jobs is secondhand now. The HO Bachman 70 ton GE loco was also a dual motor chassis. Keep your eyes open for either of these GE models at exhibitions, flea markets etc.

Unfortunately these models with dual motors are also keenly sought by On30 modellers as Boulder Valley Models produced a range of new superstructure kits in ON30 to fit these power bogies.
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:41 pm

I am sorry to report Christmas was not a good time for the mine.

A tornado hit the area.

As you can see, the big yellow building was ripped apart. So strong were the winds, that they cut almost 1/4 off it (miraculously in a perfect line! 8) )
The sector plate which was inside the building has gone without trace.

The incline was also blown away. Luckily the tippler at the top was found a short distance away and can be re-used.
The storage bin has also gone. The winds were so strong that the stamping battery and water wheel were pushed back 3cm.

Luckily the forward-thinking mine manager already had a new incline and bins under construction incase such an event should happen. :lol:
So hopefully repairs won't take too long. (once he finishes painting the house :cry: ).

The dreadful scene after the first tornado hit

New storage bins

An even bigger torando yesterday ripped out the lower rock face.
Now the upper lever track is in mid-air.
:lol:

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:59 pm

Sorry Glen, as if earthquakes aren't enough. Now a tornado and next it will be a heatwave melting the fittings :( . I assume mine management had plenty of insurance :wink: .
Could be a bit of union trouble if your workers have to use those giant tools :shock: .
.....WARNING....
Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.
1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.
Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......
Have a good one....John B.

Return to “Modelling Matters”