The Stamping Ground Gold Mine

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:47 am

Glen A wrote:Hopefully the general layout might start this weekend, although SWMBO did mention about me getting some compost and digging the garden this weekend :(

Tell her your working on the compost bin :lol: Then duck :wink:
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:34 pm

Here is the start of my incline trolley (loosely) based on the Dinorwig Welsh slate mine.
http://www.mine-explorer.co.uk/mines/Dinorwig_243/Dinorwig.asp

I started with a cheap On30 bogie out of the junk bin at the model shop $1. I used this because it had small wheels.

I cut the bogie in half, and glued the pieces at each end of the frame.
I used MEK, but the plastics didn't bond that well, so I also smothered the join with araldite glue too. There are better ways of mounting the wheels, but time is running out and this was fast.

Some more bracing and rivets still to be added (after I Gnow it actually works :wink: )

The whole mock up with wagon on top.
The key will be to be able to push the wagon on the trolley, and stop it before it runs off the other end :twisted: To do this I am going to try small groves in the rails so the wheels drop into them.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:42 am

Looks great Glen I'm sure the grooves will solve the problem. How long is incline?
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:17 am

About 400mm if you measure the distance on flat board.
Longer if you measure the distance of the rails up the incline :wink:

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:05 pm

A good amount of progress over the weekend.

Firstly thanks to those who posted about bending rail a week or two ago.
I hadn't thought of bending rail, but it wasn't that hard.
I put 3 nails in a piece of wood (a bit of trial and error to get the spacing right, each rail bent to a different curve), and then dragged the rail though it.

Then I threaded the sleepers back on. (yes I still have to space them correctly).

Here is the mock up of module number 2 (it is actually the first module built, but there will be another module to the left hand side of it eventually :wink: :

As you can see it is a simple track plan.
There is a continuous loop (but it will not be run like that when I am running it) It disappears into an engine shed at right hand side. The house doesn't belong at all, just there to give an idea of size.

Operation.
The train comes out of mine at right.
Goes up the track to where the house is now. There will be a sector plate inside a building.
Shunts wagon onto the incline (white ruler). Wagons goes up incline.
At the top it goes into the tippler and gets emptied into the bins behind the stamp battery.

The white circle at right is the water wheel.

At the top level there is another railway. That travels off the left hand side into another mine on module 1 (yet to be built :wink: ). The two railway systems are not linked at all.

This module has been designed to be able to operate as a complete layout if I am not able to take both modules to a show.

And here is the baseboard with the back scene added. I can cut in a straight line. The curve at the end is so it fits in the back of my small hatch back :D .
Lenght = 1200mm. Width = 500. Height = 450mm.

Sir Briand
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Sir Briand » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:31 am

Glen

The top of a backboard does not have to be straight :shock:

I like mine curvy to look more like sky and clouds. Nature doesn't have straight lines.

Incidentally have had to cancel NZ trip in 2008. Decided that 6'3" and old bones don't fit well into a possible 31" seat pitch for 14 hours :roll: Sorry to miss seeing your effort. Looks great.
Sir BRIANd :wink:
Paint your people to look like they belong!
http://www.brifayle.ca

ed
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 0n14 & 0n9

Postby ed » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:39 pm

Glen A wrote:Here is the start of my incline trolley (loosely) based on the Dinorwig Welsh slate mine.

Guilome Veenhuis is also modelling the same slate quarry

http://www.geocities.com/modelspoor/slate.html

Ed

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:37 am

Glen A wrote:

Operation.
The train comes out of mine at right.
Goes up the track to where the house is now. There will be a sector plate inside a building.
Shunts wagon onto the incline (white ruler). Wagons goes up incline.
At the top it goes into the tippler and gets emptied into the bins behind the stamp battery.

One question Glen relating to operation. I take it that incline will disappear below baseboard surface to allow wagon to be shunted onto Incline wagon or whatever it's called :?:
The whole setup will look great and details should be supplied to Carl Arendt (when finished) as I'm sure he will want to include it in any future update of this http://carendt.com/scrapbook/page64/index.html (Adding Animation) 8)

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:44 am

Glen A wrote:Image
And here is the baseboard with the back scene added. I can cut in a straight line. The curve at the end is so it fits in the back of my small hatch back :D .

Come on admit it, the curve occured when you were cutting it as you watched the Wellington v Canterbury rugby on TV:roll:

Gonfuscious say man who saw wearing patch over one eye is round the bend :P
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:05 pm

Gerry Bullock wrote:One question Glen relating to operation. I take it that incline will disappear below baseboard surface to allow wagon to be shunted onto Incline wagon or whatever it's called :?:

Hi Jerry, yes the incline will have go below baseboard level. I will have to cut out a piece of the board to do that.

Also what you can't see at this stage is there is already a hole cut at the right hand side, where the water wheel will be. The railway will cross on a bridge at the front.

What I haven't worked out yet is how to hide the 'water' falling out of the turning water wheel. Maybe I should have the water wheel turn towards the back of the layout?? I'm still thinking about that one.

DCRFan wrote:Come on admit it, the curve occured when you were cutting it as you watched the Wellington v Canterbury rugby on TV.

Don't Gnow anything about that Paul. We only have poor mans TV...No sport. If I let my wife get SKY TV, there wouldn't be any money left for trains. :lol: :lol:

Incidentally have had to cancel NZ trip in 2008. Decided that 6'3" and old bones don't fit well into a possible 31" seat pitch for 14 hours Sorry to miss seeing your effort. Looks great.

Thanks for letting me Gnow, Brian. Thats a shame, I was looking forward to meeting you.

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:53 pm

Here is progess from the weekend:

My first piece of hand laid 16.5mm track.
And my first ever attempt at Frocks. It has only got the base colour on it so far, and not glued in place yet either.
There is also the beginnings of a sector plate at the far end.

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:38 pm

Latest progress:

The incline is now complete and groves in the rails on the incline wagon seem to have worked; in initial testing the rail wagon stays still nicely as it gets lifted up the incline. The tippler has been mounted on the top platform. The string needs to be coloured grey/black/rust for wire rope.

And here is the start of the mine building (to hide the sector plate), still being glued together in this pic (before I get any smart comments about the masking tape on the corners :wink: ).
The layout looks much smaller once you put a few big buildings on it.

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:31 pm

Looking very interesting Glen.
The incline looks great. 8)
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:39 pm

Very nice work on the incline and tippler Glen, beautifully finished, which ties all the parts together.
The building looks like it is going to be an imposing structure too, looking forward to seeing it a bit further along, keep the updates coming.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:54 pm

With the impressive incline and building there is actually room left for the train track - isn't there :wink:

You certainly are going to have a nice vertical element in your diorama.
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:23 pm

Thanks for the comments. Yes, hopefully I can still find some room to put the track on the board.

Yes it will have a good vertical aspect to it. That’s because I see the world as vertical not horizontal. That probably comes from looking at photos, where the horizontal aspect is compressed, but you still see the vertical aspect; i.e. hills and buildings sticking up in the background. I try to build a layout so when you take a photo you get the same effect, hills and buildings in the background.
When I think back, most of my layouts have always been higher than they are wide, and this one will be the same.

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:41 pm

Hi Glen & all,
here are 2 photos I got of a minimum gauge (15" or 18" gauge) hand-operated end-tip tipple at the Miners Memorial above Broken Hill in Australia.
First photo is a general view of the tipple

Second photo shows how the skip is held in the tipple during tipping
It also shows the simple end latch arrangement on the end of the skip.

I hope that this gives some inspiration to others who want to detail or build operating tippers
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:55 pm

Oztrainz wrote:I hope that this gives some inspiration to others who want to detail or build operating tippers

Useful photo's John, some good details to be seen. Also highlights how simple it is the hold the wagons in place, only suitable for inside frames though :wink:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:40 am

Hi Steve,
Outside frames are easy:
Solution 1 - hold the skip body & not the wheels - move the angle from above the wheels to just above the top of the skips when they are sitting in the tipple cage

Solution 2 - Bolt an angle to the side of the skip and rig the tipple cage so that the angle on skip slides in a slot in the tippler cage body
the angle iron is above the steel strap at the bottom of the skip body - I'm sorry the skips were parked in the shade when I took the photo :(

Solution 3 - Some of the outside-framed skips I have seen have a channel chassis - rig an angle to the side of the tipple cage so that it slides into and engages the channel. if used with Solution 1, your skip ain't gonna go anywhere when you roll the cage.

More inspiration required?? :wink:
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:19 am

Oztrainz wrote:Outside frames are easy:
Solution 1 - hold the skip body & not the wheels - move the angle from above the wheels to just above the top of the skips when they are sitting in the tipple cage

This was the most common, at least, here in the UK. It could be used with both inside and outside and outside framed skips, provided they were the same height.

Another not mentioned yet, is the indentation running along the side of the skip body. This was mainly used on high yield systems that were often fairly automated, coal being the most common industry to use them. The one thing all the methods had in common, was that they were extremely simple, it's not until you get onto Granby and other self tipping cars that things get a bit more complex :wink: .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:32 am

Thanks for the photos John.

It gives me some options for anchoring the wagon on the tippler.
I was going to hold it by the top of the wagon, but now I have seen those photos with angle on the side of the body, I am starting to think about that option too.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:33 am

Oztrainz wrote:the angle iron is above the steel strap at the bottom of the skip body - I'm sorry the skips were parked in the shade when I took the photo :(

More inspiration required?? :wink:

Perhaps this shows a little more detail John :wink:

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:32 pm

Here's a much larger Mine layout layout I've just stumbled upon Glen.

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:58 pm

Gerry Bullock wrote:Here's a much larger Mine layout layout I've just stumbled upon Glen.

Thanks Gerry.
An interesting method of tiping.

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:23 pm

Here is progress from Sunday morning (has progress more since then).

After MANY hours cutting up corrugated cardboard and gluing it back together again, the buildings are almost finished (still to be painted). The corrugated cardboard had a flat packing sheet so I had to carefully peel it off before I could overlap the sheets. I am still to decide what colour to paint them.
I have also done more rocks and started paining the back board.
Soon I might actually be able to start working on the trains and track :)

Return to “Modelling Matters”