More adventures in the kitchen

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

More adventures in the kitchen

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:21 pm

In between waiting for coats of paint to dry, I thought I would explore the kitchen shelves some more, for items suitable for modelling. Nothing quite came up to the level of the apples posted in another thread, or the bananas from Klaus, but some quite interesting results from everyday items.

or a higher resolution version (232kb) here
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/bdog/05-02-11004lg.jpg

The back row are all grains of long grain rice, painted in various colours. Then closest to the camera, the two on the left are pearl barley, then we have black peppercorns, which are greener than they look in the photo and make reasonably convincing cabbages. Finally on the right, my old favorite, mustard seeds looking a bit like oranges.

These were all painted with acrylic paints sprayed on with an airbrush, very lightly to allow the natural colour variations to show through the paint. I would imagine similar results could be achieved using dyes or diluted paints, but wether any of them would swell up, is another question. What some of them could represent, I dont know :) but I think most would look quite convincing in boxes and trays, either as loads or as scenic items. You just need a bit of imagination :) The containers in case you dont recognise them are lids of 35mm film canisters, that should give an idea as to size. Now where did I put those sesame seeds :)
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

jay
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

fruits & vegetables

Postby jay » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:46 pm

poppy seeds...?

SandyR
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: G ga., garden railroading

Postby SandyR » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:22 am

Coriander seeds might make good bananas.
SandyR

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:08 am

You could be right Sandy, never looked inside, I have to confess.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

dana
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: model railroading

kitchen adventures

Postby dana » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:54 am

the orange grain of rice looks like yams or sweet potatoes. the green rice could be cucumers (mexican, english or pickle) or corn for us americans&canadians or maize for therest of the world but everyone eats corn these days right :P . thanks for the coalcar transfer notice marten but ithink that notice should have been in the trade tattle but am not sure. welcome from canada if that was your firstpost.
DANA GILL CEO OF LAKELouisetramway(proposed GN15 )
RED DWARF SPACE PORT RR( GN 15)

GnOmy
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: US Narrow Gauge RR

Postby GnOmy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:29 pm

Dyes and/or diluted paints work only under the condition that the stuff to be colored is not in touch with water too much time. The less water you can use the better, but you need to have the coloring procedure done several times. You can also make different shades of coloring and mix them afterwards, so you don't have your vegetables/fruits in a uniform coloring.

I use the following procedure :

1 big glass jar with a screwable cup (from instant coffee as ex.)
seeds/spices to be colored
water dilutable paint
water (10 % only of the used quantity of seeds/spices)
a drop of dish water product

You put all in the jar, close it correctly, shake it shortly and spread the content over a old kitchen towel to dry. Don't use kitchen paper or a newspaper! Once evering dry, you start again the procedure until you have the desired color effect.

You have to do perhaps some tries and depending on the stuff to be died reduce the water, add some water, add some more paint etc.

Having used this method with less or more success, I gave also a try with an airbrush and a small spray can. The airbrush works nearly the best and was also the quickest one.

The stuff which is not coming out as expected can also be used as a first layer for filling, only.

Enjoy and don't stain the entire kitchen.

Gnomy

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:25 pm

Thanks Gnomy, I'm glad somebody has tried it. I dont have the time to play around with stains and dyes, so the speed of the airbrush is always my first choice. Very good of you to write it up for everybody else, thank you.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:28 pm

Taking another step towards the asylum :) , I finally got around to doing a bit more with the kitchen supplies. Well I have been working on this a bit at a time over the last few weeks. I made some inserts to go inside the boxes. One type to look like the cardboard trays that some fruits are packed inside the boxes with, and another plain block to fill a closed box. I found travelling around to shows, that the boxes on their own were a bit vulnerable to getting dented, so this should solve the problem, it also adds a bit of weight to a wagon load (not much though, being resin). I will leave it up to your imaginations as to what they are supposed to be, credit to anyone who works out what the one on the right is intended to be.

I doubt that this will help :)
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Rustman_mv
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Rustman_mv » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:35 am

Um, Emu eggs? :lol:

"Finest Kind"

Matt
Chief Engineer Lake Grasonville & Key West Trans. Co.

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:45 am

Ok Ill bite, Kiwi? or mangoes?

Michael
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Guess this fruit or veg

Postby scott b » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:20 am

Michael, my mother always said don`t bite till you know what it is! :lol:
I`ll say Yams (sweet potatoes), yech.

Scott

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Thanks, Steve...

Postby AndyA » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:29 am

yet more distractions. Well, at least distraction back to the original task.

Having been to Liverpool I have but one day for modelling. I was anticipating making some wagon loads to go with the airplants, then I open up this thread and...

...well, there wa a lump of Tiranti's re-meltable moulding plastic that I found in the bits box before figuring out that whilst moulding agave leaves works fine in the imagination at three in the morning, it sucks in reality because the flat end takes more work to make it look good than just cutting the leaves individually and binding them into bundles.

In terms of 'more adventures in the kitchen', fortunately my wife is having a lie in and is still fast asleep. The stuff is quite smelly anyway, but when you pour it over plastic optic fibre cut to asparagus lengths without checking the relative melting points, it is wise to allow an hour or so to clean up the mess.

I need a yellow ink cartridge anyway, so fuse wire looks like a good bet if I can find some.

Seriously, though, Steve, a kewl idea. I intend making a mould for five (since I have five pieces of artwork) which the box art will wrap round, allowing me to dispense with four of the tabs - and before I destroyed the test pattern, it was clear that the idea makes my ham-fisted assembly simpler as well. Thanks, a real help.

Oh, and if the smell hasn't gone away before she wakes up, is it okay to blame you?

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Hogsheads

Postby AndyA » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:42 am

At only a slight tangent, whilst in the Maritime Museum in Liverpool, I noticed that one exhibit was a hogshead (straight sided barrel about four feet high by two and a half in diameter - 1300 by 750mm) open-topped and full of tobacco leaves.

It looked very much like the barrels I saw holding gherkins in the area around Lubbenau in (the now former) East Germany. With a little selective compression a single one would fit on one of Steve's small flat-wagons and hold vegetables or something. I shall have to have a think. They'd probably pull from a mould okay if I wasn't too fussy about the bottom.

regards
Andy A

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:21 am

michael wrote:Ok Ill bite, Kiwi? or mangoes?

Michael

Well done Mike, yes it is supposed to be Kiwi fruits. I did wonder if anybody would be able to make out the New Zealand on the box, I know what it says but still couldnt read it in the photo :)
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Re: Thanks, Steve...

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:25 am

AndyA wrote:Oh, and if the smell hasn't gone away before she wakes up, is it okay to blame you?

Yeah, go ahead Andy, I think I'm far enough away to be reasonably safe :)
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Re: Hogsheads

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:30 am

AndyA wrote:At only a slight tangent, whilst in the Maritime Museum in Liverpool, I noticed that one exhibit was a hogshead (straight sided barrel about four feet high by two and a half in diameter - 1300 by 750mm) open-topped and full of tobacco leaves.

It looked very much like the barrels I saw holding gherkins in the area around Lubbenau in (the now former) East Germany. With a little selective compression a single one would fit on one of Steve's small flat-wagons and hold vegetables or something. I shall have to have a think. They'd probably pull from a mould okay if I wasn't too fussy about the bottom.

regards
Andy A

Like this one Andy :?:

http://www.sanfab.com/images/Productzooms/hogshead.jpg
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Hogsheads

Postby AndyA » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:05 am

Yep, Steve, exactly like that one only more dilapidated.

Is there anything for which you don't have a link somewhere?

The dumper might make a good model as well.

Must... resist... must... resist...

regards
Andy A

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:18 pm

:lol: just lucky I had that one bookmarked, stumbled over it recently while searching for something else and thought it looked interesting :)
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

hogshead dumper - a question...

Postby AndyA » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:14 am

No wonder that thing is a 'special to type' project. For about the last month I've been trying to work out the geometry. Assuming that my I can't just 'grab' the tub from the truck the way theirs holds it snugly in that neat cylindrical grab, it needs four separate movements to lift and overturn the tub (theirs needs only three because they don't need to slide anything under the hogshead to lift it).

I was originally going to make the whole thing out of 6" square timber, but it looks way too chunky, so I'm going to use some "metalwork" as well. So, a question. A tub contains about a cubic yard of shale (or gravel, or coal...) and a good rule of thumb is that that's about a ton weight.

If I need to support it on two forklift style prongs (two foot six long), how large does anyone think they need to be in order to reliably support the weight?

regards
Andy A

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Casting for tthe rest of us

Postby AndyA » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:08 pm

I thought I'd revive this thread to document the new box that I've discussed with various people. Gerry has started another thread and when I've finished I'll add something to it, but the thought of bouncing a thread that's almost four years old kind of appeals.

I'll replace the pictures eventually, but these are as good as it gets at the moment.

This started when I found a wooden box/tray at our market grocers, with a nice label stencilled on the sides. I cadged it to use under my downstairs work-tray, but got intrigued. Found another the same size but different stencil whilst in Whitby at the folk festival, and decided to investigate further. This one had a coloured label on the end, whereas my first one was blank. Turns out that the stencils are for cooperative/markets, and the labes on the end designate individual growers or shippers.

Neat. So I thought, and the potential application to Begijnendijk is documented here. I started to work, thinking that brown paper a la Steve's tea-chests would make a good side, being about the right thickness. I tried to make a boz with just uprights but as Steve has probably guessed, it wouldn't pull reliably from the mould (in plaster, at least). So, with a little poetic or Gn15 license, I made one with solid ends.

Above you see: my rough-and-ready box, sized to fit two at a time on one of Steve's short gnine TOPS beds, a mould in gelflex, a plaster moulding, and a 'fettled' moulding with Mooli Radish seeds on it. I do it this way because (a) I've never managed to make a really good master first time out, (b) I've used Gelflex and moulding plaster often enough to get something to work and (c) the intermediate casting works for me.

Gelflex is a re-meltable rubber marketed by Alex Tiranti, available in small quantities and two grades, hard (blue) and soft (brown) that can allegedly be mixed although I've never tried it. I think it's intended for where you know you'll only need a few copies, but despite help from many people and an excellent how-to in the current Tome, I've never got on with two-part silicone, so I use this. Using plaster rather than resin, even the soft moulds last ages. I've no experience with using it with resin because I can't make that work reliably either.

Next we see the mould made from the secondary master, a casting from it simply painted red to indicate plum tomatoes, with the ends in a sort of beige colour for wood, then the 'finished item', the 'tomatoes' washed with very dilute black ink, then the bits I missed spotted in red, then the ends re-touched. It's rough-and-ready, there's a problem with a gap in the mould that needs cutting out, and I did the assembly wrong, but that's what it's about. I'll get it better and then start on a new mould.

Next is the artwork. The box stencil says Veiling Aspergroei and again I' ask anyone who speaks Dutch/Flemish to tell me if the Aspergroei "trademark" is either silly or rude. The shape probably needs explanation, which is why there's one cut out. It folds up over the side of the box, giving a thin sheet (or at least that's the intention) attached to the end-posts. The indentations on the ends of the bottom, if you see what I mean, allow the box to stack just as the real things do. This is in fact the main intention: I'm not building a museum quality model here, but one that'll look good in stacks. The labels are, in muted revenge on the tax-man, printed on a scary brown inland revenue A4 envelope.

The coloured bits are the paper labels from the ends. These (both the one on the box and the pale one) are from photos of the real thing, barcode labels and all. I found when doing the mushroom box that details the eye can't consciously resolve show up when they're missing.

Finally an extremely bad picture of the box. The blurring isn't deliberate but the light had already gone by the time I realised. You can just make out the fact that there's a bulge on the far side that needs sorting out, and that the end-papers haven't stuck to the tops ends. That's because I painted over the tops rather than leaving them bare plaster and also because I didn't score the paper first. We live and (hopefully) learn.

Anyway, Steve, that's what I was rabbiting about, it's easier to show than to tell.

Next week, a better box, and the curious affair of the asparagus in the night-time. (readers from way-back may remember my previous abortive attempt, otherwise it's somewhere in this thread). I have a new cunning plan, but I also have eye-strain, so Swanley photos tomorrow.

regards
Andy A

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Modelling, painting, photography

Postby andrew milner » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:11 pm

Looks good Andy :D Is the plater pretty robust for the end pieces? They look quite fragile 8)
Andrew Milner, still trying to figure it out....

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby AndyA » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:16 am

Looks good Andy

Is the plater pretty robust for the end pieces? They look quite fragile

Thanks, it will be better when I get all the bugs ironed out. Plaster works okay for the end pieces as shown, 2mm by 15mm by about 5mm. Not for the original 2mm by 2mm by 5mm pillars I had in the corners.

So, I ended up with about a 50% failure rate for the initial castings, but the mould will last long enough. By the time you fill the result with something like the radish seeds, there's plenty of strength. I made four - radish, rice, mustard and caraway, discarded the caraway as not working and will have to re-do the rice (=gherkins, courgettes) as the master fell apart when being extracted, although the first pull was okay to make a new one. Two-and a-half out of four isn't bad for a bodger.

The great thing is that you can go a couple of generations of moulds and just fettle them, without having to redo the original work, or if you make a mess, go back one generation. There is some shrinkage from generation to generation with the Gelfelx/platser process (I use Eberhar[d]t and Feber powder, just because I can get it down the road) but not really enough to worry about.

Less shrinkage I think with two-part-silicone/resin, Steve et al?

regards
Andy A

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Re: Casting for tthe rest of us

Postby Gerry Bullock » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:21 am

AndyA wrote:I

Next is the artwork. The box stencil says Veiling Aspergroei and again I' ask anyone who speaks Dutch/Flemish to tell me if the Aspergroei "trademark" is either silly or rude.

Next week, a better box, and the curious affair of the asparagus in the night-time. (readers from way-back may remember my previous abortive attempt, otherwise it's somewhere in this thread). I have a new cunning plan, but I also have eye-strain, so Swanley photos tomorrow.

regards
Andy A

Look OK to me Andy. In view of your asparagus comment I guess you've realised that the label, in fact, refers to Asparagus :wink:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby AndyA » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:49 am

Look OK to me Andy. In view of your asparagus comment I guess you've realised that the label, in fact, refers to Asparagus :wink:

Hopefully so, Gerry, since I made it up for the market at Begijnendijk. The real one is Veiling HaspenGouw. What I'm worried about is whether my coined compound might have rude connotations. I remember years ago a Belgian colleague soming over and being vastly amused by the bright red, upright fire extinguishers labelled 'LUL' for London Underground Limited. Apparently it's a dialect word for 'prick'. :shock:

Edit: here is a pic of the second attempt, stacked with one with the light end-papres.

Still haven't quite got the end papers to stick, because I stripped the original and sanded some paint off, obviously not enough, but I'm getting there.

regards
Andy A

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Modelling, painting, photography

Postby andrew milner » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:37 pm

Look close enough to me :D :D . Would it be easier though, to make the box from a 'printie' and fill with the seeds, glued then painted? Or would that not be strong enough? Just seems a lot of effort casting the 'box' then covering it with the printed sides.
Andrew Milner, still trying to figure it out....

Return to “Modelling Matters”