I thought I'd revive this thread to document the new box that I've discussed with various people. Gerry has started another thread
and when I've finished I'll add something to it, but the thought of bouncing a thread that's almost four years old kind of appeals.
I'll replace the pictures eventually, but these are as good as it gets at the moment.
This started when I found a wooden box/tray at our market grocers, with a nice label stencilled on the sides. I cadged it to use under my downstairs work-tray, but got intrigued. Found another the same size but different stencil whilst in Whitby at the folk festival, and decided to investigate further. This one had a coloured label on the end, whereas my first one was blank. Turns out that the stencils are for cooperative/markets, and the labes on the end designate individual growers or shippers.
Neat. So I thought, and the potential application to Begijnendijk is documented here. I started to work, thinking that brown paper a la Steve's tea-chests would make a good side, being about the right thickness. I tried to make a boz with just uprights but as Steve has probably guessed, it wouldn't pull reliably from the mould (in plaster, at least). So, with a little poetic or Gn15 license, I made one with solid ends.
Above you see: my rough-and-ready box, sized to fit two at a time on one of Steve's short gnine TOPS beds, a mould in gelflex, a plaster moulding, and a 'fettled' moulding with Mooli Radish seeds on it. I do it this way because (a) I've never managed to make a really good master first time out, (b) I've used Gelflex and moulding plaster often enough to get something to work and (c) the intermediate casting works for me.
Gelflex is a re-meltable rubber marketed by Alex Tiranti, available in small quantities and two grades, hard (blue) and soft (brown) that can allegedly be mixed although I've never tried it. I think it's intended for where you know you'll only need a few copies, but despite help from many people and an excellent how-to in the current Tome, I've never got on with two-part silicone, so I use this. Using plaster rather than resin, even the soft moulds last ages. I've no experience with using it with resin because I can't make that work reliably either.
Next we see the mould made from the secondary master, a casting from it simply painted red to indicate plum tomatoes, with the ends in a sort of beige colour for wood, then the 'finished item', the 'tomatoes' washed with very dilute black ink, then the bits I missed spotted in red, then the ends re-touched. It's rough-and-ready, there's a problem with a gap in the mould that needs cutting out, and I did the assembly wrong, but that's what it's about. I'll get it better and then start on a new mould.
Next is the artwork. The box stencil says Veiling Aspergroei and again I' ask anyone who speaks Dutch/Flemish to tell me if the Aspergroei "trademark" is either silly or rude. The shape probably needs explanation, which is why there's one cut out. It folds up over the side of the box, giving a thin sheet (or at least that's the intention) attached to the end-posts. The indentations on the ends of the bottom, if you see what I mean, allow the box to stack just as the real things do. This is in fact the main intention: I'm not building a museum quality model here, but one that'll look good in stacks. The labels are, in muted revenge on the tax-man, printed on a scary brown inland revenue A4 envelope.
The coloured bits are the paper labels from the ends. These (both the one on the box and the pale one) are from photos of the real thing, barcode labels and all. I found when doing the mushroom box that details the eye can't consciously resolve show up when they're missing.
Finally an extremely bad picture of the box. The blurring isn't deliberate but the light had already gone by the time I realised. You can just make out the fact that there's a bulge on the far side that needs sorting out, and that the end-papers haven't stuck to the tops ends. That's because I painted over the tops rather than leaving them bare plaster and also because I didn't score the paper first. We live and (hopefully) learn.
Anyway, Steve, that's what I was rabbiting about, it's easier to show than to tell.
Next week, a better box, and the curious affair of the asparagus in the night-time. (readers from way-back may remember my previous abortive attempt, otherwise it's somewhere in this thread). I have a new cunning plan, but I also have eye-strain, so Swanley photos tomorrow.