Bachmann Porter based Gn15 Critter

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

GUTMACH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: narrow gauge, machining, Gn15, machining, err....

Bachmann Porter based Gn15 Critter

Postby GUTMACH » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:06 pm

First of all, I am in agreement that the drivers on the Bachmann On30 Porter are a bit on the under size. Before we continue, however, take a look at the following,

www.werkbahn.de/photos.htm

Look for these: /deutz-anna.jpg (small drivers)
/diema_2057.jpg (small drivers, tall cab)
/diema_983.jpg (small drivers)
Or,

www.feldbahn-glossen.de/08 O&K RI3.jpg

What I wished that I had done, was to make the cab floor more like the O&K R13, so it would not look quite so odd, almost caricature.

All was left of the Bachmann Porter was the motor block, cab, boiler, saddletank, endbeams, and so on were all stripped off.

Wayde

Geno6309
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: NG,Sports Cars,Anything with 'fiddly bits' inside

Postby Geno6309 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:04 pm

I really rather like it. Obviously used where headroom is not an issue so the driver can stand up instead of crouching all day.
Good job.
"I'm not building a model of a railroad. I'm building a caricature of one." Bill Livingston, Venango Valley RR, RMC 1971
Words to live by.
Gene Walker
www.fcdetc.blogspot.com

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:55 am

I have hesitated in responding to this, as I dont want to cause any offence, but I have to agree with you Wayde, it does look like a caricature. The small wheels are not really the issue, it is more the cab, it is far too high for a 15" gauge loco and out of proportion to the rest of it and doesnt actually make any sense to have it that high. I would strip it off and have another go :) sorry :oops: .
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Modelling, painting, photography

Postby andrew milner » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:33 pm

Hi Wayde,

as you say, the proportions are a bit 'strange' but then we have pictures of Emmet style locos that people are going mad over :D I presume the cab is so high (as Steve points out) to enable the driver to stand. If that's the intention then you could raise the height of the hood/bonnet and maybe shorten the whole thing if you want to change the proportions. Then again you could do like I do and say 's*d it, Gnear enough' 8)
Andrew Milner, still trying to figure it out....

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:52 pm

Hi Wayde,
Nothing wrong with the proportions, check out this Aussie 2' gauge Simplex - the cab was added for weather protection in the tropics
http://www.ilrms.com.au/simplex.htm

Here is a 3'6" gauge mining loco that was modified in presevation with a higher cab that provided both better operator comfort and visibility
Scroll down to mine locomotives here
http://www.zigzagrailway.com.au/diesel.html
Originally the cab was the same height as the engine hood.

Just to prove that there really is a prototype to justify any model....
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

GUTMACH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby GUTMACH » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:55 am

Steve is right, every time I look at it, I pick up the razor saw....

The Aussie two footer Simplex, what a mess! :)

Thanks for the pointer to the website, I had just bookmarked it. :D

Oh, by the way Steve, I am hard to offend, as I used to be a machinist. Besides, I respect your opinions.

Enjoy your weekend.

Wayde

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:15 am

ZONIE wrote:Oh, by the way Steve, I am hard to offend, as I used to be a machinist. Besides, I respect your opinions.

Thats a relief :) I really didnt want to cause any upset.
My main issue is not with the height, more the position of the window, which would be far too low to see through from a standing position, which kind of cancels out the advantages of a standing cab :wink: .

Enclosed cabs that allow an adult to stand upright, are very rare in the real world of 15" gauge. As far as I am aware, only 2 have ever been built, one in Japan, the other here in the UK. Both were steam loco's and featured dropped footplates to keep the overall height and weight as low as possible. There may have been more and I would be very interested to hear if anybody else knows of any.

Just my opinion and others may disagree, but I think if you go for a higher cab like this, it is better to use the proportions of a loco from a wider gauge, say 18" or even 24", which will keep everything tied together. Both Christopher Payne and John Baxter do this very well and as a result, their models do look very convincing. I hope this does help a little.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

http://www.pepper7.com

GUTMACH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Chop, Cut, Rebuild

Postby GUTMACH » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:02 am

Critter #2 had some plastic surgery done. :roll:

Now here is the before shot,

And the after shot,

The plastic surgery added a scale foot (.500") to the overall length of the critter. That 'lump' ahead of the cab will be replaced at some future date, it looks too organic.

The cab looks much better than before. Thanks for the suggestions.

Wayde

Return to “Modelling Matters”