(F) Tight radius curves

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Mark Linehan
'boxer
'boxer

(F) Tight radius curves

Postby Mark Linehan » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:30 pm

How tight a radius curves are members using on their layouts? I have a board 75cm x 30 cm which I want to develop into a test track with some scenery. I plan to use a Sidelines Gnat to begin with, but envisage using the Hornby Smokey Joe 0-4-0 chassis as a basis for some scratch building. Does anybody have any help or information :D

terrystrains
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Model Railways from TT to Gn15.

Postby terrystrains » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:23 pm

No doubt some of the more Eminent readers of this forum will give you chapter and verse on tight radii in Gn15. As for me, well I have run a "Gnat" on 6" radius curves with no ill effects and my Hornby 06 conversion, (see elsewhere in this site) will happily tranverse the same radius. What is more important is the loco overhang on sharp curves as it will affect the type of coupling you use. I still favour the "link and pin" !!! but you will no doubt hear of many, many different types of readers personal favourites. My 7mm tram layout (Pulga Espanola) is the size of an A3 sheet of paper with curves of around 5" and the "Gnat", "Smokey Joe" and the steam tram (Lima OO motor bogie) all go round OK.

Regards

Terry

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Tight Radius Curves

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:19 am

Although my up & coming layout is still 0-16.5 I concur in what Terry says. I run 5" curves and all my Avalon/ Black Dog Locos negotiate these fine provided the rolling stock is well weighted. Pin & link couplings are used. I also have no problems with a Black Anna, Smokey Joe and 2 Rustons using Tenshodo Spuds although these have only been used as pushers because I haven't fitted couplings as yet.
By the way I have started the "Gn15 on a shoestring" loco project!! GerryB. :wink:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

ian holmes
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, photography and maintaining my Englishness living in America

Couplings

Postby ian holmes » Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:11 pm

On my exhibition layout, Whinny Lane. I use a minimum radius of 6". Though in a couple of spots it might be a tad tighter. There are no problems with the short wheelbase 0-4-0's previously mentioned, and the 0-6-0 Hornby chassis' with flangeless centre drivers will negotiate them too but be prepared to have the chassis shed its coupling rods :oops: My Heywood Hybrid did at the GATS show last year.

Ian
Model railway psychic nutjob
Ian's Gn15 pages at http://www.iholmes.com
Try something different http://gnine.info

Return to “Modelling Matters”