"Effie" takes her bow.

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

"Effie" takes her bow.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:00 pm

Looking though the website today (a check because I'm told I can't view the 7mmNG site anymore by my browser!!!!!!!!) - that should get :lol:.
When viewing Gn15 news I note back in February there was a mole who had spotted what looks like a superb "Effie" kit due for release in April, however it didn't say which April!!!!!
Where has it gone - it didn't by chance fall in the mole hole? :lol: Gn15LURKER
Last edited by Gerry Bullock on Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

"Effie" takes a bow

Postby Gerry Bullock » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:05 pm

After the last post I find that the 7mmNGA have become desperate - they've immediately let me back in again!!!!!!!!!!!! :x

Emrys
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Model railways, photography, website design

Wanted: Spy within south-western manufacturer of Gn15 models

Postby Emrys » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:39 pm

Due to the clear failure of our present mole within a certain manufacturer's workshop deep in south-west England, we at Gn15.info are looking for a new 'mole' to provide us with scoops, rumours and - most importantly of all - accurate estimates of delivery dates for new kits.

Applications should be made to the usual address. :)
Emrys Hopkins

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:25 am

As you have been flooded with applications for a new mole :) I guess I had better step in with some up to date info.

The kit for Effie is already to go except for one essential item, namely the wheels. These have been on order for more than two months and were supposedly a stock item. As soon as these arrive the kit will be ready to ship.

Really glad this was not my project, I think I would have given up on it by now
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Effie

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri May 26, 2006 5:03 am

You'll all note that the last post on this was way back in 2003 :shock: however a parcel arrived for me yesterday BUT wasn't delivered as no-one was in :cry:
I haven't a clue as to who sent it except I Gnow Steve W promised to pack up a kit a few days back - watch this space :wink: The Delivery Office opens around 7:00am :lol: :lol:

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri May 26, 2006 6:48 am

:o :o :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Effie's here BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Gerry Bullock » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:44 pm

I opened the box today to find the instructions describe the Model as a 1:13.5 Scale Haywood 'Effie' Kit. Haywood I can live with :lol: BUT 1:13.5 :shock: surely Gnot :!: :!: :?:

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Re: Effie's here BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:04 pm

Gerry Bullock wrote:I opened the box today to find the instructions describe the Model as a 1:13.5 Scale Haywood 'Effie' Kit. Haywood I can live with :lol: BUT 1:13.5 :shock: surely Gnot :!: :!: :?:

Dont worry Gerry, it is a misprint :) not spotted until the night before the Telford show and too late to do anything about it.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:42 pm

Either that or you'll have to raise the shed roof a little to accomodate "The Big Engine" :lol: :wink:

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:00 pm

Looking forward to seeing this one!
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/
(all earlier sites sadly demised :-( )

MilesB
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby MilesB » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:24 pm

Gerry Bullock wrote:I opened the box today to find ... Haywood 'Effie' Kit.

My God, you mean it actually exists :shock: :shock:

Does this mean Steve can now get on with the next steam loco - as discussed long, long ago, in an exhibition far, far away... :P

Miles

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:42 pm

MilesB wrote:Does this mean Steve can now get on with the next steam loco - as discussed long, long ago, in an exhibition far, far away... :P

Good question :lol: which loco are you talking about, I cant remember that far back :)
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

MilesB
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby MilesB » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:48 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:
MilesB wrote:Does this mean Steve can now get on with the next steam loco - as discussed long, long ago, in an exhibition far, far away... :P

Good question :lol: which loco are you talking about, I cant remember that far back :)

I think we had the conversation at Luton a couple of years back - when "Effie" was 'almost' ready for release :lol: .

A resin kit for generic 'Heywood' 0-4-0T to fit on a Hornby Bill/Ben chassis - almost a "Katie", but inside frames, and tweaked to fit. It would be close enough for most people, with only the pedants complaining it had the wrong frames...

I always reckoned these would be far more popular than a brass model of the least attractive/typical Heywood loco. I was never interested in Effie, but a Katie type - yes please.

Possibly, the kit could be made variable length - after all, the smokebox and cab was identical (ish) on all the later locos, with just the length of boiler and number of wheels varying... Make it "Muriel" size, then cut down the length for smaller locos, then plonk the dome half way between smokebox and spectacle plate.

Miles

Peter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Irish Music, Maps, Eaton Hall and Sand Hutton

Postby Peter » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:20 pm

Possibly, the kit could be made variable length - after all, the smokebox and cab was identical (ish) on all the later locos, with just the length of boiler and number of wheels varying... Make it "Muriel" size, then cut down the length for smaller locos, then plonk the dome half way between smokebox and spectacle plate.

Pretty please with sugar on top?
No really, I'd buy 'em
Failure is just success rounded down.

chris krupa
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby chris krupa » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:21 am

As would most of us I guess and yes Steve, I'd buy a generic Haywood.

Chris

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:25 am

MilesB wrote:A resin kit for generic 'Heywood' 0-4-0T to fit on a Hornby Bill/Ben chassis - almost a "Katie", but inside frames, and tweaked to fit. It would be close enough for most people, with only the pedants complaining it had the wrong frames...

Oh, that one, now I remember :)

I have made a start in fact, but not got very far yet. It will be a Heywood style loco and hopefully look a bit like Katie, although it will be smaller. Originally I was going to go for a multi-media kit, using resin for the main parts, with brass and whitemetal fittings, but following the experiences with getting Effie to market, that has now changed. I should be able to do most of it in resin, although there will have to be a few compromises and some of the final detailing will be left upto the individual to source parts, like some of the cab fittings. Early days yet :)
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

MilesB
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby MilesB » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:17 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:I have made a start in fact, but not got very far yet. It will be a Heywood style loco and hopefully look a bit like Katie, although it will be smaller.

Smaller than "Katie" :shock: Katie is only 8'0" long - and pretty much perfect to go on a Hornby chassis.
Then again, in Gn15 final 'scale size' depends on what scale you are modelling in :roll: ... small in 1:22.5 may be OK in 1:24 :? .
Steve Bennett wrote:Originally I was going to go for a multi-media kit, using resin for the main parts, with brass and whitemetal fittings, but following the experiences with getting Effie to market, that has now changed. I should be able to do most of it in resin, although there will have to be a few compromises and some of the final detailing will be left upto the individual to source parts, like some of the cab fittings.

The old Raymond Duton "Ella" kit in O9 was all resin, except for the spectacle plate and cab rear rail. With your skills I'd bet you could do the spectacle plate in resin...

:idea: You could always do the Brian Clarke 'kit' trick - make the difficult bits, and get us to fabricate the footplate and side tanks out of plasticard. If you could do the buffer beams, smokebox & chimney, dome, and backhead/spectacle plate, then most could manage the rest :?:

I'd have one... but I hink you knew that anyway :lol:

Miles

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:53 pm

MilesB wrote:Smaller than "Katie" :shock: Katie is only 8'0" long - and pretty much perfect to go on a Hornby chassis.
Then again, in Gn15 final 'scale size' depends on what scale you are modelling in :roll: ... small in 1:22.5 may be OK in 1:24 :? .

I was thinking more of the width, Katie was almost 4' wide. Wether narrowing it would look right, while retaining the length, I'm not sure yet.

I'd have one... but I hink you knew that anyway :lol:

:lol: I thought you might :) maybe it will be ready for Swanley in october, no promises :)
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:08 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:
:lol: I thought you might :) maybe it will be ready for Swanley in october, no promises :)

Yes, makes sense - :idea: part of Steve's Autumn Collection no doubt :twisted:
I've a 1/24 Scale nude in the post from the States if you need a suitable model to take part in the Launch :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:24 pm

Gerry Bullock wrote:I've a 1/24 Scale nude in the post from the States if you need a suitable model to take part in the Launch :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:twisted: I might just be tempted to take you up on that Gerry :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

MilesB
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Katie Moss ?

Postby MilesB » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:09 am

Steve Bennett wrote:I was thinking more of the width, Katie was almost 4' wide. Wether narrowing it would look right, while retaining the length, I'm not sure yet.

Hmmm... Katie Moss :wink:

The standard Heywood boiler is 2 foot (near enough) diameter - which I reckon is about the smallest you want to go for any 'real' steam loco (as opposed to miniature or caricature) - so keep that.

I seem to remember (nowhere near my bookshelf) the locos were 4'0" over footplate, and over tanks they were 3'11", which with a 2'0" boiler gives individual tank widths of 11.5" - although they look wider as the front of the tanks wrap around the boiler. I suspect you could narrow them a bit - to say 3'6" over tanks, and still look OK :?:

Again, all of the above measurements are subject to SCALE - if you come out with a 1" boiler and an overall width of 1.75" it should look OK.

I think the loco would need to be slightly wider than your 'large' wagon kits - certainly no narrower.

Miles

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:08 pm

We are thinking along similar lines Miles. Having done a bit more measuring of the Hornby mechanism, there are going to be quite a few compromises, so it wont be Katie, but the styling should be similar.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Insanity prawn boy
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Slate quarries, rock music, loads of other stuff which I can't be bothered writing

Postby Insanity prawn boy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:13 pm

Just out of interest, (very unhelpfully) why not the Bachman 0-4-0 Percy/junior loco chassis? Considering the motion, and higher reduction gearing, and smoother running?
Insanity prawn boy
http://slatequarryman.fotopic.net
Narrow gauge, rock'n'roll, Industrial archeology- can life get much better?? Yes actually, I discovered classic cars

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:37 pm

Insanity prawn boy wrote:Just out of interest, (very unhelpfully) why not the Bachman 0-4-0 Percy/junior loco chassis? Considering the motion, and higher reduction gearing, and smoother running?

Very simple answer to that one Chris, Bachmann dont keep their stuff in production for long enough to make it worthwhile designing a kit around it. It would be a much more suitable mechanism from what I have seen, but I have been there before. The only way to make that a possibility, would be to do it as a limited edition and raise the price, not my style :)
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Insanity prawn boy
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Slate quarries, rock music, loads of other stuff which I can't be bothered writing

Postby Insanity prawn boy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:45 pm

Ok, I was thinking there would be a reason behind it. Pity though, but Horby have been making the same chassis for quite a while now and I don't think they're about to stop... :)
Insanity prawn boy

http://slatequarryman.fotopic.net

Narrow gauge, rock'n'roll, Industrial archeology- can life get much better?? Yes actually, I discovered classic cars

Return to “Modelling Matters”