Simplicity Sidings

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:09 pm

Hi,

It seems, everybody has started with new Gn15 layouts last week. Kind of built along. This thread compiled very many usable hints and trick again. So I could not resist:

I realized, this 2mm cardboard is quite cheap at the artist´s supply (80 x 100 cm costs 2 Euro) They call it Buchbinder-Karton (bookbinder´s cardboard) in Germany. And they have a machine there, to cut some strips to seize yourself.

Fiddled a 83 x 43,2 baseboard together so it fits in my IKEA-Ivar shelf. Simply glued and clamped it to a wooden frame to keep it light and rigid.

Now its time to play around with some track and figures, to see what might fit or makes some kind of sense. Probably have to build a second baseboad to built at least an Ingelnook shunting puzzle. Have a Peco 0-16 and a Micro Engineering 0n30 # 5 turnout The latter seems huge to me, it is 285 mm long, but looks very convncing. Peco is Code 100 rail, ME Code 83.

Have Fun

Juergen

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:32 pm

Welcome back Richard, good to see you posting here again :D The new layout is off to a good start, what do you have planned for the bank side / rail side area :?:

Simon.

richard andrews
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Railway,

Postby richard andrews » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:33 pm

its going to be brick and timber farm buildings, Simon.
I am calling it EDENBRIDGE FARM. :) :) :) you will have to wait to see what it looks like, i have not finished the painting of the brickwork yet. :lol: :lol: :lol:
regards Richard

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

A bit of timber

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:16 pm

Not a lot of progress today, being a holiday weekend, thought I should spend some time with family :) . So just a couple of small projects.

WOODWORK

First little project was a timber walkway across the tracks, quite useful for handcarts and barrows. First choice here for me is Balsawood, so easy to cut and shape to size. It also takes weathering and staining very easily.

The frst job was to measure the gaps between rails and paving, to work out a reasonable size for the planks that were to form the walkway. It worked out that approx 4mm wide, which scales to around 4 inches wide should suit the gaps. A piece of 2mm thick balsa was then used to cut the various pieces.

As you may see from the photo, I didnt go for individual planks of wood. Instead, a simple black line put on with a fine tipped drawing pen, then the same pen was used to push in nail holes. Once stained it is surprising how realistic this method is, as I hope this shows.

For staining, my normal method is to use a spirit based woodstain, very diluted and explained in more detail here
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?p=13539#13539. Unfortunately, these stains are getting more difficult to find and also with a view to keeping this simple, another alternative was needed. After a couple of tests with diluted acrylic and watercolour paints, I decided to go for a black watercolour here. It would be nice to give a guide to dilution, but there is so much variation from one paint to another, that it is almost impossible. I used a concentrated liquid watercolour from the Luma range of Daler-Rowney, let down about 1 part paint to about 10 parts water, for a non concentrated paint, 1 to 5 would be a better starting point to experiment from. When first applied as a stain to an absorbant wood like balsa, dont get too worried if it appears very dark to start with, as it dries, it will go a lot lighter, you may even need to apply another coat to darken a bit more. Experiment first on something of the same material to get a feel for the staining before trying it on something that has taken a while to make.

Here is the finished planking after drying out fully and set into position. Each piece is raised upto rail level using a piece of 1mm thick card underneath, which is also helpful to raise the planks above the moulded rail fixings on the ties/sleepers.

The next little project is the end stops or buffers at the far right of the layout, to prevent the wagons bumping into and damaging the brick wall.
Nice simple construction here, two posts and a cross beam at coupler height, to act as a cushion against run away wagons. I used 5mm square balsa for the posts, and a 3mm thick piece for the crossbar. Here are the pieces cut to size, with a little work done to take off the corners and put in a bit of grain.

and here are the same parts after staining, using the same methods as the planking above.

You will I'm sure have noticed that the made up one at the top right, has gained a bit more detail. Initially I was going to just use the marker pen again to depict it being nailed together, but went for a simple way of representing a bolt and washer. This is very simply, a small square of thin black card and a Peco track pin, which usefully, come ready blackened. A touch of matt black paint on the head of the pin to hide the shine and it adds a nice finishing touch. I did give a very light drybrushing to make them stand out a little better for the photos. These are at the bottom left of the photo, ready to be used.
Of course, if you already have stocks of nut and bolt castings from the likes of Grandt Line, use these instead, I almost did, but remembered in time what this thread is about :lol: Here is a closer view, yes I made more than needed :) just in case any went wrong, it's a lot easier to make extra, than to go back and do the parts for another.

So to finish off this little section, a shot showing both the walkway and buffers set into place.

Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Many things

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:21 pm

I'm definitely going to have to try your pen nail hole techniques on future balsa projects, I've been trying to figure out how to do it for a while. :oops:
*Insert witty signature here*

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:43 pm

Nick Ellingworth wrote:I'm definitely going to have to try your pen nail hole techniques on future balsa projects, I've been trying to figure out how to do it for a while. :oops:

There are many different types around Nick, here are a few examples of the ones I have.

Go for the finest tip that you can find, usually 0.1mm. The Pilot one in the centre, is my favourite and you should find them in the larger branches of W H Smith if they have an art department. Hope that helps.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:44 pm

Thanks for the info Steve, I'll grab one from my Student Union shop when I get back to uni as it'll be cheaper than Smiths. :D

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:50 am

Richard,

really like the atmosphere you have created in the small area - and the water and grass are really realistic, lovely modelling.

Steve,

After trying to be so clever and not copy yours - have had a horrendus weekend in terms of modelling, you name it didn't work :evil: therefore if you don't mind I am going for a straight copy of your woodwork - need some small successes to get me back on track :oops:
Gordon F

David James
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Model Railroading

Postby David James » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:16 pm

Steve,

The planks and buffers look terrific!

I have used track pins to represent bolts or lag screws for some time now, but it never occurred to me to try to make my own washers from card.

What a great idea!

Cheers!

Dave

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Postby AndyA » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:26 am

I've finally caught up with this after being away for ten days; thanks, Steve, for a number of good ideas that will see the light of day on a somewhat larger layout, and it's been fun seeing hte other efforts. Probably a good thing I was away. :)

One question. The framework for the board for Pilgrim Quay (see Tome), which will take forever to even start, is a massive four-foot plus by two foot plus, assembled from a scrap plywood pallet. I've been wondering about cladding for it. If I could find suitable card sheets, do you think the poly-foam mehtod would work with an 18" span between the braces?

thanks again for a neat series.

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

Prof Klyzlr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Aussie NG Logging Tramway fan

Postby Prof Klyzlr » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:32 am

Dear Andy,

3 X 5mm foamcore laminated together correctly a la Steve B's technique, will handle an actual 2 kilos over a 400mm (15.5") span with 0 (ZERO) deflection under laser alignment testing.... :shock:

It will handle even more when bonded to a piece of PECO O scale SG trackage, which was the basis of the test,
(A few modelling friends didn't believe an all-fomcore module could support the weight of a brass SG O scale 2-8-2 or similar... :wink: :twisted: )
Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Postby AndyA » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:48 am

Thanks, Prof

Cuddle is built on a fomecore box and has lasted forever, but the last display board I had went to build the still-unstarted dock extension for said still-unfinished layout, so I was wondering about the lightweight expanded polystyrene insulation sheet, cheap and available locally, rather than actually going out and paying art-store prices for what I reckon would be six large sheets, only available at an out-of-town place and therefore requiring begging a lift from Sue, who would then know what they cost. :wink:

Plan B would be, since the insulation stuff is fairly cheap, to wait until she's away one weekend, take the framework out of hiding and just try it. I would actually just have used blue foam clad with 3mm MDF, but I'm also out of the scavenged MDF and the pallet was just too good to miss.

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind

gnine: less is the gnew more

GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:51 pm

Just an update - finished off the 1st stage of groundwork and got the track ballasted and again early stages of weathering. Now that basic work completed will be fixing wall/building in place and the n I can start to add debris, etc, along walls .

As you can see ended up with an old cobbled yard, tried slabs as per S.B. but they did not look right in my setting, also noticed that I have forgoten to paint the coping on end wall :oops:
Gordon F

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

Postby martin » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:55 pm

Gordon this looks fantastic in natural light!
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

David James
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Model Railroading

Postby David James » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:20 pm

martin wrote:Gordon this looks fantastic in natural light!

It sure does!!!

I love the revealed bricks under the chipped stucco. :!:

Bob Taylor
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: GN15!, Zak and Travis my Border Collies, Steam Rallies and Canals.

Postby Bob Taylor » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:54 pm

That is stunning! I thought you said you had a poor weekend modelling wise? Wish I could have a few of those if that's the result! :shock:

Amazing work.

Bob.
maybach52.taylor@googlemail.com.

Gn15: Remember SIZE does matter! and may all your gauges be little ones.

Gnine: Narrow your horizons!

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:23 pm

Indeed, if that's a poor weekend's work I really want to see what a good weekend would yield.

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:49 pm

Two great layouts :!: :!: Both little gems :) :)
Thanks to you both.
Must start to think small :? :?
Ralph

Bob Taylor
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: GN15!, Zak and Travis my Border Collies, Steam Rallies and Canals.

Postby Bob Taylor » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:58 pm

Apologies Steve :oops: The "walk-ways" are very effective indeed. It's all tied together now. The relationship between the various components is really working.

Will be pinching your "buffer" idea as well!

Bob.
maybach52.taylor@googlemail.com.

Gn15: Remember SIZE does matter! and may all your gauges be little ones.

Gnine: Narrow your horizons!

ozoffi
'boxer
'boxer

Postby ozoffi » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:00 pm

Hi Gordon!

Really very beautifully! As you made the road?
Regards
Oliver
--------------------------
http://mobazi.zoffi.net
http://www.g-spur.at

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:04 pm

ozoffi wrote: As you made the road?

The cobbled road surface is made from plasticene( a non hardening modelling clay ) which was then painted with PVA (white water soluble glue) which when dry was impressed with the cobbles using a piece of U shaped brass channel and then painted.

Hope that helps explain it
Gordon F

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:07 pm

Bob Taylor wrote:you had a poor weekend modelling wise?

But you didn't see the construction crew digging up the dirt and slabs, then the gravel, then the tarmac did you :?: :lol:

Thanks for the all kind comments gents
Gordon F

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:34 pm

Looking good Gordon, a great range of textures on show there. I think you have beaten us all to somewhere near completion :roll:

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

ozoffi
'boxer
'boxer

Postby ozoffi » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:37 am

Hello Gordon!
Thanks - sounds after much work… looks however very well!
Regards

Oliver

http://mobazi.zoffi.net

http://www.g-spur.at

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:43 pm

Sorry for the lack of updates and replies guys.
Had a major meltdown here and now awaiting a new modem, which will hopefully arrive tomorrow. Hopefully, will be able to get back to this project at the weekend.
Wish me luck :roll:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Return to “Modelling Matters”