Simplicity Sidings

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Many things

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:59 pm

I do like the sound of that second part to the layout, it's definitely something to consider making once I've got the first half finished and I've stocked up on some more wood.
*Insert witty signature here*

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:50 pm

Certainly looks great Steve now it's all bar finished :wink:
That telephone bell looks rather like a battery :?:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

richard andrews
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Railway,

Postby richard andrews » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:26 pm

looking good Steve, love the barbed wire,should have thought of using staples when i built Moulding Lane :roll: :roll: :roll:
I have built the back scene,scribed DAS and all and fitted it to the base :) :) :) will take some photo's soon and send to you.
on the subject of magnets i went to Wicks and bought a pack of 2 double door catches the ones with metal plates, if you cut them open, there are 2 small magnets inside :D :D :D hope this is of help to anyone
regards Richard

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:01 pm

Good morning Steve, I assume that with the barbed wire fence that the property to the front is rural. Perhaps a small foam block with grass and a cow looking over the fence :) . Maybe held in place with one of Richards magnetic catches.
.....WARNING....
Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.
1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.
Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......
Have a good one....John B.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:15 am

Gerry Bullock wrote:Certainly looks great Steve now it's all bar finished :wink:
That telephone bell looks rather like a battery :?:

:lol: I thought you had a set Gerry, it is one of my castings, the same as appear on Vanguard Works. Still need to decide where I'm going to install the firebell yet :wink:. You ought to grab some next time you see me at a show :wink:

Last edited by Steve Bennett on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:24 am

SOUTHPASS wrote:Good morning Steve, I assume that with the barbed wire fence that the property to the front is rural. Perhaps a small foam block with grass and a cow looking over the fence :) . Maybe held in place with one of Richards magnetic catches.

Well, I guess in my mind it could be classed as semi-rural :) dont think I will be installing a cow though :wink: .
My thinking is that it is a small industrial unit, right on the edge of town. These kind of places used to be very common in my part of the world, but are getting pretty rare these days, a lot being demolished to make way for large shopping centres or larger industrial units. Apart from the railway, it is almost identical to the paintshop I worked in when I first left school, yes I can remember that far back :lol: . So I had a mental picture to work from, right from the start of the project :) .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:38 am

Looking great Steve and starting to put progress on Ambasador's to shame! The 'enclosed in' look is certainly very different.

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:25 am

Colin Peake wrote:Looking great Steve and starting to put progress on Ambasador's to shame!

Thanks Colin and dont worry, it's not a contest or race :) and I know you have other projects on your plate :wink:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:26 am

I agree the 'captive' railway really looks great and the barbed wire should keep little fingers out :lol: Now it this was NZ there would be one non-barbed wire attached to a power source.
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:30 am

DCRfan wrote:Now it this was NZ there would be one non-barbed wire attached to a power source.

Tempting :lol: hooking it up to a Relco track cleaner would certainly keep inquisitive fingers out :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:36 am

Steve Bennett wrote:Tempting :lol: hooking it up to a Relco track cleaner would certainly keep inquisitive fingers out :lol:

Naturally backside protected by large sign saying 'DO NOT TOUCH' which after the inevitable yelp of pain, you can flip over and display message 'I TOLD YOU SO' :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:12 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Very tempting :twisted:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:01 pm

Richard Andrews wrote:looking good Steve, love the barbed wire,should have thought of using staples when i built Moulding Lane :roll: :roll: :roll:
I have built the back scene,scribed DAS and all and fitted it to the base :) :) :) will take some photo's soon and send to you.

It was your Mouldings Lane layout that planted the seed to try out the barbed wire idea, have been wanting to give it a go ever since, so I'm glad you like the staple technique.

Dont take too long with those photo's :) I'm waiting with anticipation :wink: as I have a fair idea what to expect. I just know you are going to come up with something exceptional, as always :) .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Bob Taylor
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: GN15!, Zak and Travis my Border Collies, Steam Rallies and Canals.

Postby Bob Taylor » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:58 pm

Very impressed. That fence is a winner. It's a lovely bit of modelling all round.

Bob.
maybach52.taylor@googlemail.com.

Gn15: Remember SIZE does matter! and may all your gauges be little ones.

Gnine: Narrow your horizons!

Prof Klyzlr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Aussie NG Logging Tramway fan

Postby Prof Klyzlr » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:04 am

Dear Steve,

Some plastics as used in vege/grocery bags/"barbed wire" are notorious for being nearly impossible to glue. (Just one strike <against> multi-generational recycled plastics... :wink: ).

1 possible solution is Locktite 770 Poly-olefin primer, which appears to give "un-glue-able" plastis such as delrin some "tooth" for ACC to get a hold.

Just a thought...
Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:02 pm

Prof Klyzlr wrote:1 possible solution is Locktite 770 Poly-olefin primer, which appears to give "un-glue-able" plastis such as delrin some "tooth" for ACC to get a hold.

Thanks Prof, will file that one away for the future.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

richard andrews
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Railway,

Postby richard andrews » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:14 pm

Steve don't put a cow on a small layout like this they are too BIG!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: i know as i have just fitted one on the front of Moulding Lane, just to keep the sheep company.
hope you got the photo's i just sent you, took them while waiting for glue in ballast to dry. still a lot of work to do :D :D :D
regards Richard

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Many things

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:03 pm

I've got everything I need to make a start on my version now, all I need is to be able to get outside at some point and spray the baseboard.
*Insert witty signature here*

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:31 pm

Richard Andrews wrote:hope you got the photo's i just sent you, took them while waiting for glue in ballast to dry. still a lot of work to do :D :D :D

Here we go for everyones enjoyment :D

Looking really good so far Richard, will let you add any words :wink: Unfortunately the lighting and reduction in size of the pics dont show the brickwork that well, but i could see how good it was :wink:

Dont worry, I dont intend adding a cow :lol: I dont have the space for one :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:57 pm

That is looking good Richard!
A totally different ‘feel’ to the others posted so far.
Although the track and baseboard size is probably about the same, the others give the impression of a cramped/confined courtyard.
Where-as you one has a more spacious open feel about it (probably due to the river /creek at the front)

I like it :P

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:22 pm

Nice stream bank treatment :D
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:46 pm

Glen A wrote:A totally different ‘feel’ to the others posted so far.
Although the track and baseboard size is probably about the same, the others give the impression of a cramped/confined courtyard.
Where-as you one has a more spacious open feel about it (probably due to the river /creek at the front)

Yes it is interesting to compare the different styles and the feel of these. Richards is a bit bigger, 18" by 12" if I remember rightly, but it is not just that making it appear more spacious and larger, I dont think. The way it is laid out also contributes. On both Gordons and mine, there are walls at the ends, which I think, put limits to the area, but with Richards (at the moment anyway) there is no restriction to the movement of the eye, allowing it to move further, thus making the modelled area seem bigger. The stream also adds to that open feel aswell, to us anyway Glen :) others may read it differently :wink: .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:48 am

Very nice and subtle different feel.

Query has this now become the 2008 Challenge :? :wink:
Paul

Gnu Zealand

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, photography, outdoor life.

Postby henrix72se » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:01 am

Looking Really Great !! :D

Can you tell us a bit about the water in the front. Is it just blank paint or did you use another method ?

I (almost) finished a little creek on my layout and is about to add some kind of "water", but hesitate about which way to go.. In my case I can not use blank paint since my creek has several levels. I need to either skip water and let it look like dried out, or go for some kind of Woodland Scenics EZ-Water or similar.

/Henrik
I build Industrial and Military Light Railways in 1/35n18 scale - http://Laurell.Today/

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:39 pm

There are some better pics of the water a few pages ago, this should take you straight THERE.
The next message after that, Richard describes how it was just PVA glue applied over a painted surface. Hope that helps.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Return to “Modelling Matters”