Simplicity Sidings

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:29 pm

:) Looks good Steve and I like the way the walls/Gates act as view stops.

Busy weekend so not a lot done on mine but have spent last couple of hours experimenting on my list of wants - currently the conclusion is that I should have followed your lead and gone for printed brick walls, my attempts with embosing bricks on modelling clay have not worked :oops: .
However third or maybe 4th attempt is drying out now so will see tomorrow. Plus is that the gound cover/ puddle experiments have worked, waiting for paint/glue to dry and will post some photo's tomorrow.
Again a plus have completed the base models for building/walls so when we have sorted out bricks should make some rapid progress - and sorted out mould for "asbestos roofing panels" just gives a slightly different effect than corrugated iron sheets.
Look forward to seeing how you are going to do your ground work
Gordon F

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:36 pm

gfadvance wrote:Look forward to seeing how you are going to do your ground work

Me too :lol: I have no idea at the moment, or more to the point, too many ideas and cant decide which :roll: .

I like the sound of your muck and puddles and will be looking forward to seeing the pics.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

dwh
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: NG modelling, caravaning, cooking

Postby dwh » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:04 pm

Hi all
Being a very recent convert via this site to Gn15 I plan to use Simplicity Sidings as an introduction to the scale(s?). The first challenge wil be to hand make the track, problem is where do I get the basic materials ie track Peco Code 100 maybe?, then the sleepers, ect ect. Unfortunately in this area of NW Hampshire model railway shops are non existant, so any links or info would be most gratefully recieved.

Regards
Derek
If you dont go out in the dark how will you see the stars ???
I went in the dark and was seduced by Gn15

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:00 am

OK, quick photo of one of the trial pieces for the puddles

And one of the mock-up for building/walls

As I jumped into this without spending to much time thinking about the final layout plan ( a good thing as too much thinking usually stops me actually achieving anything :oops: ) Now finding that my layout of tracks does not leave much room at front. OK on L/H corner but struggling on R/H corner - so may end up adding about another inch to front, a real plus with this system is that is easy to do :)
Gordon F

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15

Postby Charlie Stewart » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:07 am

that looks great Gordon, the pillars to the walls certainly add a 3D to them, another thing I really like is the shape of that front step to the hut, it looks to have years of wear in its front edge!!!. I wouldnt personally extend the front YET!!,seems to me to have plenty in front of the tracks for "junk" etc.. I'd concentrate on having fun with what you have, maybe extend later when the layout is supposedly "Finished" (as if..???).

Just my 2p's worth

Regards

Charlie
My YouTube videos

light travels faster than sound... thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth!!!

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:29 am

gfadvance wrote:As I jumped into this without spending to much time thinking about the final layout plan ( a good thing as too much thinking usually stops me actually achieving anything :oops: ) Now finding that my layout of tracks does not leave much room at front. OK on L/H corner but struggling on R/H corner - so may end up adding about another inch to front, a real plus with this system is that is easy to do :)

I like that a lot Gordon, almost looks like you could add a bit to the mockup and use it. The experiment with the ground surface works well too. Looking forward to seeing more as you progress.

Funny you should be thinking of adding more to the front, as it is something that I have been meaning to do to my original Vanguard Works, though a slightly different approach. I just want to add a removeable piece with a fence and some tall weeds, which would finish it off quite nicely. Being removeable, I could then still use it as a setting for photographing stock, which is one of it's functions. Now you have reminded me, may have to get on with doing it, once I finish Simplicity, of course :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:53 am

DWH wrote:Being a very recent convert via this site to Gn15 I plan to use Simplicity Sidings as an introduction to the scale(s?). The first challenge wil be to hand make the track, problem is where do I get the basic materials ie track Peco Code 100 maybe?, then the sleepers, ect ect. Unfortunately in this area of NW Hampshire model railway shops are non existant, so any links or info would be most gratefully recieved.

Hi Derek and welcome.
I'm glad you feel inspired to give this a go, it is a good way to get a feel for a new scale or gauge and to try new things like handlaying track. There are many different ways of handlaying, so depending on which method you want to use, the sources will be different. The one thing you will need is rail, of course :) . If it is just for this project, the simplest is to take the rail from a piece of flexitrack, Code 100 is ideal so any HO/OO track will do as a source. As you are already familiar with OO9, the code 80 from that will work just aswell for this project, if you have some to hand.

I neglected to mention that I used a length of Peco 0-16.5/On30 track for this project, I have now gone back and corrected that.

Hopefully there will be someone more local to you who can suggest a source for materials, as buying mail order, will probably mean having to get more than you need to make it worthwhile. One very good source online for trackbuilding supplies is http://www.finescale.org.uk/

Hope this is of some help.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Catweasel
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways,Folk and Blues etc.

Simplicity Sidings

Postby Catweasel » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:51 pm

7mm scale copperclad sleeper strip makes good sleepers. Our good friend Marc in Wiltshire may even run some off with a groove down the middle to represent pressed steel sleepers. Code 80, or even 60 on that and you're done.
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:29 pm

OK Steve, here my version of the brick walls - to be honest not happy with it too many errors :oops: , but I'm going to call it quits and move on.
The next time I will use scribed plaster but wanted to keep this light so just went for foamboard and paint, and hopefully will be able to hide/ distract on finshed article with junk, ladders ,etc

I know there is a technical term for it but was trying to model an old wall with salts leaching out of the bricks :?: Oh and dampness rising up it
Gordon F

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:47 pm

gfadvance wrote:
I know there is a technical term for it but was trying to model an old wall with salts leaching out of the bricks

Efflorescence.
The wall looks good. There's plenty of Victorian walls about which look like that.
I like the rising damp
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:58 pm

Thanks ,even if I had remembered the right name I couldn't have spelt it :lol:
Gordon F

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:07 pm

Thats looking great Gordon. I really like the streaks ( I cant spell it either :) ) and just the hint of green at the base. It possibly looks a bit stark to you at the moment, but once you have stuff in front and the ground made up to it, I think you will be a lot happier.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:22 pm

Thats the best bit of Victorian brickwork I've seen since they knocked down my old school :cry:
Trevor
Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

Postby martin » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:45 pm

thats a terrific looking wall... you've probably just been looking at it for too long.
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:25 pm

Not much progress here today, but a little time this evening to experiment with an idea for paving. Looks quite promising so far and there wont be as big an area as the test pieces in the pics. These were just to try a few colour variations and are just placed together, the spacing could be better :)

I quite like the look of the honey colouring, it reminds me a little of York or Bath stone, works quite nicely with the brick of the walls aswell
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:16 am

Gordon, I think your wall looks spot on! You have captured the look of well worn, uncared for brick, with a hint of past neatness.

Steve, the slabs look like they are aligned OK to me, you don't want them too perfect!

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:43 am

Colin Peake wrote:Steve, the slabs look like they are aligned OK to me, you don't want them too perfect!

Dont worry, I dont think that there is much chance that they will be lined up perfectly :lol: It would show how the sizes are not the same :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:50 am

Hope you are going to share how you produced and colored the slabs as they look really good - and I have never been very successful in getting the color of slabs/concrete/stone loking right.
There is one slab, 3rd one down,3rd in from right that really interests me with its 2 tone effect that I would love to achieve
Gordon F

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:38 am

gfadvance wrote:Hope you are going to share how you produced and colored the slabs as they look really good - and I have never been very successful in getting the color of slabs/concrete/stone loking right.

Yes, I will be showing how, maybe tonight.

There is one slab, 3rd one down,3rd in from right that really interests me with its 2 tone effect that I would love to achieve

I will try, the method I used on that one is a bit inconsistant, so wether I can repeat it remains to be seen :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

kevinti28
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: GN15 and 7/8ths modeller

Postby kevinti28 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:01 pm

The staining on brickwork is called efflorescence. It generally disappears after a few months, but if there is an ongoing damp problem, or bad joints or flashing, then the salts will continue to leach out and stain the brickwork.
Kevin

Change is inevitable ....... except from ticket machines.

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:26 pm

Job being weather dependant and being washed out - again! spent some time this morning on the layout
Took Steve's idea of just carrying on with the mock-ups ;-
ImageImage
The coping stones are only in primer and the building walls have just had a coat sand to provide a base for the wall texture, front r/h corner still causing me problems?
Gordon F

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Many things

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:39 pm

The coping stones look excellent Gordon, you're really progressing quickly with this layout. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do next.

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:13 pm

Great start, the brick wall looks just fine to me.

I have used a poster or two (in period) to cover some errors, Small bill-board are also in keeping with some areas on a layout
Ralph

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:22 pm

I really should start a new thread instead of continuely butting in on Steve's but I suppose at least it proves that these layouts can be brought together very(well pretty) quickly and that they are useful for trying out new techniques.
Trying here to show old concrete/rendering - I'm still playing with the color for the coping stones, which need to be weathered as well as the bricks showing through the render.
Gordon F

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:37 pm

gfadvance wrote:I really should start a new thread instead of continuely butting in on Steve's but I suppose at least it proves that these layouts can be brought together very(well pretty) quickly and that they are useful for trying out new techniques.

If you are going to keep posting pics like that, I dont mind at all :lol:
I think you are moving forward faster than me aswell :roll:
I really like the weathering on the render and the bricks showing through the damaged areas is working very nicely.

I have to ask, what did you use for the coping on the walls :?: It is really effective.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Return to “Modelling Matters”