Nick's G12 models

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Many things

Nick's G12 models

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:54 am

Some of you may remember a few months ago I bought a Tillig TT set with the intention of using it as the basis for some G scale models representing 10 1/4" to 12 1/4" gauge.

As a result of discussions at Dereham yesterday I'm going to be providing some G12 models at future shows so I've finally got a couple of wagons completed and should have another one finished by tomorrow unless I have a major disaster during construction. The 2 wagons that I've completed use shortened chassis which are about 3/5ths of the original length. To keep the construction simple I've used the original couplers which aren't particularly good but do the job well enough. As with a lot of my rolling stock the bodies are made using balsa wood held together with a 50/50 mix of PVA glue and swearing. :wink:

Like the carriage I posted recently I used washes to get the colour I wanted and by varying the amounts of paint slightly I've been able to make one wagon look slightly older than the other.

EDIT: Details of Layout begin here
Last edited by Nick Ellingworth on Thu May 21, 2009 10:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:10 am

Great start Nick. The wagons look fantastic.
The couplers look the part.
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:16 am

Thanks Jon, I'm actually amazed at how quickly these wagons have gone together the one at the front of the photo didn't exist yesterday. :shock:

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:41 am

A fine start Nick, they do look the part. Wonderful stuff balsa, you can do so much with it.
Are you going to be using the Tillig track aswell, from what I have seen, it is probably more suited than Peco, a bit more compact aswell.

I suppose you are going to want your own sub-forum now, next to the Gnine one :lol:
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:59 pm

I said I'd have another wagon finished by tomorrow, well I've managed to get it finished already, one of the advantages of being a student, I've got nothing to do until 22nd September. :D

Anyway like the other 2 wagons this one has a balsa wood body but unlike the others it's got a long wheelbase giving me some nice variation in length.

To give a sense of scale I've also taken a photo with my balsa carriage in the background with a G12 train in the foreground albeit with a bare loco chassis at the front.

That chassis was feared to be dead as the motor was refusing to run unless all the axles and gears were removed but I've managed to get it working again. :D

It turns out that the plasticard additions that I'd made to the chassis were blocking the drive gears so there was no chance of it working, now that the offending plastic has been removed it's working but is in dire need of a proper running in. :oops:

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:07 pm

:lol: Nice comparison with the coach, quite a difference in size, almost looks a different scale.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:12 pm

Well my fingers certainly struggled with the small size of these wagons but despite that in comparison to Gnine and even some Gn15 rolling stock these wagons are actually quite large at 32mm wide.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:30 pm

Thats well within loading gauge Nick, no worries there :wink: .
I can feel myself getting sucked in here :roll: must resist though, I dont need another scale/gauge combination :) . Somewhere around here there is a Halling motor bogie for 12mm that I have been meaning to gauge out to 16.5mm gauge, hmmmmm :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:51 pm

Good start Nick, You spoke about it at the show and you have made a speedy and great start.

If we are not careful it will have to be putting one layout inside another to get them on the table :!:
Ralph

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:20 pm

Ok I'm now starting to scare myself, in the last hour or so I've gone from having a bare chassis to having something recognisable as a locomotive, taking inspiration from Steve's Titch/Tiny hybrid I've basically stuck 2 boxes together to form the basic shape of the loco. I plan to make a wooden seat but beyond that I'm happy with the loco as it is now even if it is a bit small. :wink:

Ralph, you've already built a baseboard that will allow multiple layouts in a small area, why you want to use it as a corner building I'll never know. :wink:

Steve the problem with G12 does seem to be a lack of availability of suitable bash fodder, I've noticed that the loco I used for this build can't actually be bought outside of the set it came from, still for £40 3 wagon chassis and 1 loco chassis isn't too bad, plus you get some track and a controller thrown in as well. :D

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:00 pm

Good start Nick. A bit of extra detailing to add relief to the boxes :) and it should do the job very nicely.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Jon Randall » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:11 pm

Wow gnice loco Nick, where's the other three quarters of it :?: :lol:
Jon Randall

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:20 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:Good start Nick. A bit of extra detailing to add relief to the boxes :) and it should do the job very nicely.

Yes it could do with some detail, my thoughts are to round all the edges with some sand paper and add a few rivets made from milliput.

Jon Randall wrote:Wow gnice loco Nick, where's the other three quarters of it Question Laughing :?: :lol:

I saw that one coming a mile off...

I'm not sure where the rest of it is, I'm sure it'll turn up somewhere. :wink:

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:13 pm

Nick
Great start on the loco.
Have you tried plastic rod for rivets :?: It seems a long job drilling a hole and putting the rod into the hole leaves a neat rivet. A dab of solvent gives a domed shape.
It takes less time than you think, :?

Ralph

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:28 pm

Looking good Nick :D Once the modelling starts, time becomes elastic and before you know it you have several models completed, but appear to have lost several hours somewhere :wink:

Your 50/50 mix of glue and swearing is not new though Nick, quite a lot of us use that same ratio :wink: And that's on a GOOD day! :shock: :wink:
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Alexanderrainer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: micro and small layouts in any scale

Postby Alexanderrainer » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:00 pm

I really like the idea of using my old TT-stuff, that is not supposed to be used besides my nice TT models I'd never would destroy. Have some old ugly cars and some motive power to be used for G12... later... hope so :roll:
pallet factory "Holz - Wurm" (Wood Worm)

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:46 am

Nick Ellingworth wrote:Ok I'm now starting to scare myself, in the last hour or so I've gone from having a bare chassis to having something recognisable as a locomotive...

Hey mate, get used to it! :lol: Gnow that you're in the Gnatterbox, from here on out that's how it's gonna happen :!:
In the middle of lunch.
In the middle of the night.
In the middle of . . . well, we'll leave that one to the imagination.

later,
Forrest
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:24 am

Thanks for the comments guys.

Last night and this morning I worked on detailing the loco, I gave up on the rivet idea though as I don't have the patience to spend time mucking around with tiny bits and pieces. So instead of rivets I've gone for hatches on either side of the bonnet with hinges and catches made from milliput.

The next stage will be painting and I think I'm going to go for a relatively clean loco without too much muck or rust on it, still not sure on the colour I'm going to paint it though.

I'm starting to get ideas for a layout too but it'll be a while before I can begin construction.

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Jon Randall » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:25 am

Looking great Nick.
Gnice details on the loco.
Jon Randall

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:55 am

Coming together well Nick, the added details really help to disguise the boxy appearance. A suggestion, you could add a filler cap or two to the top of the bonnet. One at the front for a radiator and maybe another at the rear for the fuel tank. A simple nail of a suitable size, or maybe something a bit more upmarket like the Picture Nail shown here.

By coincidence, this Titch, which I have been using for layout testing, has a mechanism which was originally 12mm gauge under it. One from Mike Chinery, superb mechanism, but cost almost as much as your Tillig trainset :roll: Must resist the temptation to put it back to 12mm again :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:33 pm

I'm tempted to add a few more details but I've decided to get a simple paint job on it so I can see how it looks when painted, I can then make a slightly more informed decision on whether more details are necessary.

Of course one part that I've not made yet is the wooden seat, which I'm going to make separately and stick to the loco once the painting is finished.

Steve take a look at the third picture in my last post, that blob of filler with the wire stuck to it is meant to be a fuel filler cap, I'm hoping it'll look more like one when it's been painted. :wink:

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:46 pm

Nick Ellingworth wrote:Steve take a look at the third picture in my last post, that blob of filler with the wire stuck to it is meant to be a fuel filler cap, I'm hoping it'll look more like one when it's been painted. :wink:

:oops:
Sorry, I was thinking that was a controller/throttle :oops:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:03 pm

Painting is going well on the loco and the seat has been built, however it won't be installed until I've finished the paint job.

I've also been able to draw up a very basic plan for the reason I started working on the loco and wagons, the layout that Barry and Jon asked me to build for the Norwich show (should we get a firm invite).

It's just a simple oval of track on a 2' by 1' 6" base board but there is plenty of scope for a lot of scenic work. The setting is an estate railway with the focus of this layout being a clapped out land rover (probably the Italieri lwb kit) being repaired near a tool shed. The background will be provided by a decent sized wall or fence, with a building in one corner to hide the input from the controller.

There's plenty of scope for more scenery but I think as a basic start it's pretty good although it is rather close to simply being a mix of Barry's Katham House and Jon's Tetly Grange. :oops:

Here's a resized scan of my quick and rather poorly drawn plan:

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:31 pm

Looks a good plan Nick, an irregular oval set at an angle to the board always works well, and for some reason seems to give the appearance of more space in the centre :D
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:48 pm

I think this estate line idea will definitely work as I keep coming up with ideas for other areas of the estate, I still need a name for it though and I'm really struggling there.

Not been able to get any painting done today, I've been distracted by a day trip on the broads.

Return to “Modelling Matters”