Nick's G12 models

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:00 am

Great little toolbox Nick and as for the working hinges, you are Gnuts :lol: . Joking aside, it is fun to do little projects like this and a great way to learn new ways of doing things, keep experimenting, thats what modelling is all about :wink: , plus you end up with nice little pieces like this for when you have a layout to put it on :wink:
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Many things

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:34 am

Yes the layout is becoming a stick issue, do I focus my thoughts towards the layout idea I posted earlier in this thread, on a simplicity sidings clone or both? I suspect both will be the answer since they will both represent the same estate. :wink:
*Insert witty signature here*

Bob Taylor
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: GN15!, Zak and Travis my Border Collies, Steam Rallies and Canals.

Postby Bob Taylor » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:00 pm

In the real world it comes down to a number of factors: Time, money, a good idea you can see though to the end. I myself, like many, have the same constraints.

TIME: Difficult to make :shock:

MONEY: Never enough spare cash, especially with this government!

However the two are linked. If cash is tight then it takes longer to do. This brings into play "the good idea" bit. If a project is going to take a long time then you have to be sure it's the right way to go.

Simplicity Sidings is a great idea. Cheap to get something running. Can be personalised in a million different ways.

You have some fantastic, unique G12 rolling stock. You have done the hard bit :shock:

It's your call at the end of the day but this is the way I would go if I had not pulled my figure out and got Lutley Engineering up an started.

It has been a distraction though. I now have Simplicity Mine, A duel gauge version, a Gnine/Gn15 version and..................................all in my head.

I'm sure whatever YOU decide the support will be there in bucket loads.

Bob.
maybach52.taylor@googlemail.com.

Gn15: Remember SIZE does matter! and may all your gauges be little ones.

Gnine: Narrow your horizons!

David James
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Model Railroading

Postby David James » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:13 pm

if I had not pulled my figure out and got Lutley Engineering up an started.

ROTFL!

That can be the hardest part of it all!
Not to mention important,
It's very hard to work with it in there!Image

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:14 pm

Time isn't too much of an issue for me since I'm a student and I get a decent bursary which is far too much to spend on books so money is plentiful (relatively speaking). :wink:

Both the layouts I'm planning are very simple to make as all I need is some flexitrack. What I think I'm going to do is build two base boards using the old wood + sundela method, one will be 2' by 1' 6" for the wonky pizza and the other will be around 12" by 8" for the simplicity sidings clone, once I get the track laid I can take as long as I want to get the scenery done, and if I get bored of working on one I can always work on the other at least that's the plan.

Both of these layout won't be what I'd consider to be proper layouts as I intend to build a few modules that all work independently but can be linked together to show a fairly large area of the estate but I suspect that project will have to wait for quite a long time.

Bob Taylor
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Bob Taylor » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:31 pm

Fair enough. But, and please don't take any offence, you start one and get into it your attentions do become more focused. The tuning point for me was to get something running however small.

Its also very easy for a simple plan to turn into Grand central Station in a matter of minuets :D

Pick one and go for it.

Bob.

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:04 pm

I would never take offence to decent advice Bob, I will almost certainly focus on one layout once construction begins but I might as well get the baseboards built and track laid at the same time. :wink:

Bob Taylor
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Bob Taylor » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:00 pm

Nothing wrong with that sort of thinking.

Bob.

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Postby AndyA » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:32 am

you start one and get into it your attentions do become more focused

Hmmm. Gnot my experience, as most people here are aware. :) However, since you're building two baseboards, I'll repeat something I've said before and invite comment.

I started with Cuddle, a concept about which I still care deeply. It's thus been very difficult for me to settle for less than perfect and the layout is still far from finished four years later. Had I started with a generic "Simplicity Sidings", or even with a concept that wasn't so dear to my heart, I'd have lot that I would have used to improve Cuddle before I started. Now I have so many memories invested in it that although I should, I simply can't bear to tear it down and start again.

just a thought. I look forward to seeing your layout progress.

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:22 am

Both of the layouts I'm hopefully going to start work on soon will be primarily for learning new techniques and hopefully the simplicity clone will provide a good photo background and a fun shunting layout with the pizza being something I can use just to watch trains running.

I've just ordered about 9' of track (Tillig HOm Elite) and a few rail joiners all I need now is to get the sundela for the baseboards and I can make a start. I suspect that the simplicity clone will be the first to have track laid as that'll be a really simple job. I've got an item on it's way to me from Back2Bay6 that should make a really nice piece of scenery but I won't reveal what it is just yet. :wink:

I still need to get some electrical bit's and pieces too, looks like a trip to Maplin is in order. I'm looking forward to getting these projects started and I hope to get both layouts running before I go back to uni.

One final thing, I've not forgotten about the tool box and have managed to make some progress on it.

Bob Taylor
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Bob Taylor » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:20 pm

Hope you enjoy your project(s). Intrigued to know what this "scenic item" is. :shock:

I make no apologises for pushing but can I thank you for not taking it the wrong way :D

Look forward in seeing what you come up with.

Bob.

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:05 am

The scenic item is a 1926 Brough Superior SS100.

I suspect that I'll have it placed so that it looks like it's about to be or just has been repaired.

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:29 am

Nick Ellingworth wrote:The scenic item is a 1926 Brough Superior SS100.

It's a motorbike! 8)

Are you gonna give it some weathering?

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:05 am

I probably won't do anything beyond some very light weathering as it would be a shame to ruin such a nice model.

MilesB
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby MilesB » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:34 am

dr5euss wrote:
Nick Ellingworth wrote:The scenic item is a 1926 Brough Superior SS100.

It's a motorbike! 8)

Are you gonna give it some weathering?

Weather a Brough :shock: - It should be kept immaculate... the real things are worth a fortune 8)

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:58 am

Indeed, I suspect it belongs to the owner of the estate line I'm modelling. :wink:

I think the only weathering I'll do is a bit of mud on the tyres.

GUTMACH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: narrow gauge, machining, Gn15, machining, err....

Postby GUTMACH » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:31 am

Every photos I have seen of a Brough, shows the bike spotless, except for the bluing of the exhaust pipes and mud on the tires/tyres.

Great looking model of the Brough.

Wayde

Bob Taylor
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Bob Taylor » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:55 pm

I'm into motorcycles and have been for a long time and the SS100 is indeed a nice looking machine however.....................

Had a conversation with a guy who rode one when they were new and they were not that good :shock: He how ever did not elaborate why but the brakes were mentioned more than one! To be fair engine technology has always out striped chassis, tyre and brake technology.

But today they are rare, expensive classics. Nostalgia, and rose tinted specs, is not what is used to be.

Has a scenic item you can be sure it will be a talking point. Like I said a nice looking machine.

Bob.

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:41 pm

Sorry I've not posted in this thread for a while unfortunately I've not had anything to model with recently however that's all about to change I've got my hands on another Tillig loco and 3 more wagons so hopefully over the next few days I should be able to post some in progress photos of some new rolling stock. :D

As a small taster though here's a comparison shot of the Tillig loco I use as a donor out of the box and after I get my hands on it:

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:35 pm

Nice work there Nick, I like the ideas you used in the small toolbox, great way to make hinges, I will look for some black or grey wire though, less hassle when it comes to painting.

Its also very easy for a simple plan to turn into Grand central Station in a matter of minuets

Yes Macton started out as 18 inches of test track for some coupling ideas :wink:
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:34 pm

michael wrote:Nice work there Nick, I like the ideas you used in the small toolbox, great way to make hinges, I will look for some black or grey wire though, less hassle when it comes to painting.

You're right there the green wire is difficult to paint but I've got about 10m of the stuff and it's no good for electrical work (I hate using solid core wire for electrical purposes).

Your post has also reminded me that I really need to get working on the loco I'm building at the moment, I've not even completed the basic body yet. Still I have been able to make progress on my simplicity sidings style layout but that's a subject for another post in another thread.

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:09 pm

My last update to this thread was 2 months ago, how time flies when you're snowed under with university work, exams (tomorrow and Friday) and all the usual celebrations of this time of year. :roll:

Right I did say I was working on a new loco and now that I've been able to start modelling again (I had to pack everything away over Christmas and New Year) I have made a start on the second loco, I've not really progressed beyond the basic box stage yet and even that isn't finished but I might as well write a post about it. The design for this loco is a little more complex than the previous one but the extra work required is worthwhile in my opinion as it means the two locos are clearly different from each other.

First here's the loco on it's own:

And secondly here is a comparison shot.

I've also done some work on the wagons (including one new one) but I've not photographed them.

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:26 pm

A great little loco Nick, and first class level of modelling
Well done
Ralph

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:09 pm

Got a small amount of work done on the loco today, added the inspection panels that seem to feature on every loco I make and done a lot of general tidying up of the body, I now need to get some bits and pieces from Steve before I can move on.

Rowley
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: paradise mining co type modelling

Postby Rowley » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:23 pm

Hi Nick
Just been reading the whole of this thread. Like all the other threads on the gn15 site, picked out some good tips on the making of various parts (i e hinges etc.) Great job Keep up the good work
All the best
Rowley
Rowland Sutton

Return to “Modelling Matters”