shrubbery

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

shrubbery

Postby martin » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:02 pm

I have no idea what to use for shrubbery... I seem to recall people used to use sponges?

is that any good for 1:24 as I've seen images with much more sophisticated looking stuff.
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

gnottyash
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Modelmaking, narrow gauge, music, gardening

Postby gnottyash » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:17 pm

I guess we all have our favourite methods. For low growth (heather/bracken etc) I used to use grated fibre board, spray it with Spraymount and add more and so on. Then spray it shades of green.
I've also used thin plastic netting (garden/pond covering type) scrunched up and held in clumps by thin wire - spray black/dark brown and then add foliage.
Dried buddliea heads are useful too. I don't like lichen from model railway stores as I can never see anything except it being lichen.

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby martin » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:07 pm

cheers gnottyash some interesting methods!
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:07 am

Hello Martin
One method that I have found works well is to take furnace filters and cut them up and then spread woodland senics foilage matt over them.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Steph'H
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: 7/8ths and 1/12th NG modelling with GN15 growing on me

Postby Steph'H » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:31 am

Hi Martin,

Just a thought, we are at the right time of year for all sorts of plants to be getting their seed heads....I have used dead Sedum flower heads covered with scatter etc as trees etc on smaller scales, maybe they would make bushes etc in larger scales? Umbelifer (Cow Parsley type plants) are also useful, as, as gnottyash says, are dead Buddleia flower heads.

cheers

Steph'

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Re: shrubbery

Postby chris stockdale » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:44 am

martin wrote:I have no idea what to use for shrubbery...

HEAD KNIGHT:
We want... a shrubbery!
[dramatic chord]
ARTHUR:
A what?
KNIGHTS OF NI:
Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni!
ARTHUR and PARTY:
Ow! Oh!
ARTHUR:
Please! Please! No more! We will find you a shrubbery.
HEAD KNIGHT:
You must return here with a shrubbery, or else, you will never pass through this wood... alive.
ARTHUR:
O Knights of Ni, you are just and fair, and we will return with a shrubbery.
HEAD KNIGHT:
One that looks nice.
ARTHUR:
Of course.
HEAD KNIGHT:
And not too expensive.
ARTHUR:
Yes.

No prizes (but my apologies for interrupting the thread) for guessing where this comes from - or is it just my age :roll:

best

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, photography, outdoor life.

Postby henrix72se » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:42 pm

:D :D

we seems to be of same age... :wink:

/Henrik
I build Industrial and Military Light Railways in 1/35n18 scale - http://Laurell.Today/

gnottyash
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Modelmaking, narrow gauge, music, gardening

Postby gnottyash » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:29 am

I forgot mentioning the other end of the plant - the roots. If you have any strong weeds in the garden, their dried roots might make good branch systems beneath scatter material foliage. Most need trimming of their whispyness and volume of finer roots, but usually you end up with a workable basis for a small shrub.
With all this rain encouraging weeds to grow, the wretched things are currently plentiful...so they might as well serve some purpose.

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby martin » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:34 am

Chris Stockdale wrote:
martin wrote:I have no idea what to use for shrubbery...

HEAD KNIGHT:
We want... a shrubbery!
[dramatic chord]

somehow I just Gnew someone would...

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Shrubbery

Postby Bilco » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:12 am

Can we assume now that everything in the garden's shrubbery? Image
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Re: Shrubbery

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:03 pm

Bilco wrote:Can we assume now that everything in the garden's shrubbery?

Gnot if you have cats or dogs, Gno......... :twisted:
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Will Vale
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: BC narrow gauge, NS, Enoden, other stuff too long to mention.

Postby Will Vale » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:28 pm

Chris Stockdale wrote:No prizes (but my apologies for interrupting the thread) for guessing where this comes from - or is it just my age :roll:

The very first thing that went through my head on reading the thread title was "NI", so you're not alone...

For airy small shrubs with a branch structure, the Woodland Scenics instant tree stuff (Fine Leaf Foliage?) looks fantastic, but it's incredibly fragile. Adding a pinch of coloured scatter (red, white, etc.) for flowers can look really nice - it breaks up the green and adds interest, but use in moderation.

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby martin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:48 pm

while pulling up a tomato plant yesterday I noticed the roots are rather fine - quite good for ivy and crawling plants

sorry about the image quality but I only have a phone camera:

Bob Taylor
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: GN15!, Zak and Travis my Border Collies, Steam Rallies and Canals.

Postby Bob Taylor » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:02 pm

We must ALL be of a certain age :shock: but still childish. Good in it?

I have no idea what to use for shrubbery in this scale though, sorry.
:( No help.

Bob.
maybach52.taylor@googlemail.com.

Gn15: Remember SIZE does matter! and may all your gauges be little ones.

Gnine: Narrow your horizons!

richard andrews
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Railway,

Postby richard andrews » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:03 pm

try rubberized horse hair or a scouring pad pulled apart and covered in woodland scenics foliage mat or similar .
regards Richard

Paglesham
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow Gauge, old bikes, canals, boats, scenic modelling

Postby Paglesham » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:56 pm

Even in the larger scales, lint is good stuff, though becoming a little harder to get. I use it cloth side down, none of that daft "stick it fluff side down and tear off when dry stuff"! Just stick it down as is, work it up with your favourite paint media, then as it's drying, tease it up with a brass wired suede brush and toothbrushes. If you want a rabbit run, just roll it down with a wheel off a Dinky toy, still on its axle.
For coarser stuff, hemp or sizal string, but PLEASE don't just stick it down straight 'n' spiky. Give it a bit of curl by pulling it under a scriber or similar rod held against the cutting mat, THEN stick it down with an eye to the prevailing winds on the layout.
Rubberised horse hair (upholstery stuff) for bushes and vigorous weeds with a dusting of dried teabag contents. Then spray the lot with different shades of greeny brown. You can always fix the teabags/WS sponge with cheap hairspray to fix it all. Hedgerows can be made from wire wool, bunched and clipped, teased and painted a la George Stokes, the absolute Master of trees and hedges.
Don't forget to make the prevailing weather side of your trees, etc a little darker and greener than the other. Observation of the real deal is the answer really.
Hope this helps.
Paglesham
Martin - Labore et Orare

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:05 pm

Paglesham wrote:Don't forget to make the prevailing weather side of your trees, etc a little darker and greener than the other. Observation of the real deal is the answer really.
Hope this helps.
Paglesham

I think the answer is never to use just one colour when doing any scenery. You need at least 2 colours, but 3 or more is better.
When you look at bush, although you make think all the leaves are the same colour green, some are in light and some are in shadow. The only way to re-create this in the model form (in my opinion) is to use two shades of colour.

Paglesham
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow Gauge, old bikes, canals, boats, scenic modelling

Postby Paglesham » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:40 am

I agree. You need a darker colour for the inside of the bush/hedgerow, which is in shade and lighter colours for the better lit outer layers. In any scale this gives a much greater sense of depth.
Once again, the only way to get it right is to go out and observe the real thing.
In the larger scales like 1/24th and above a broad leafed grass becomes actually measurable! A single blade of grass could be an inch high, by 1/48th" or more wide. Our job is to suggest, rather than model, because even I wouldn't say make individual blades of grass :shock:

I measured a nettle and found even in 1/32nd scale it was over an inch high and it's leaves would be a 1/16" long! Fortunately our eyes compensate and suggest to us what a "plant" might be.
Paglesham
Martin - Labore et Orare

Return to “Modelling Matters”