aGnother Underground Ernie

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

aGnother Underground Ernie

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:29 pm

I thought I'd post some photos of my UE conversion, mainly so it will give me an incentive to continue with it rather than just have it sitting by the computer with all the rest of the stuff I can't find the incentive to finish.

The figure isn't the actual one that will be used it's there to give an idea of size, the arms Gneed to be in different positions.
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:14 am

You've made a great start
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:17 am

Nice job so far Barry.
I think they look much better with the addition you have made, extending the headstock downwards.
I will be doing the same when I start my two.

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Funky narrow gauge equipment!

Re: aGnother Underground Ernie

Postby Dallas_M » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:55 am

More_Cats_Than_Sense wrote:I thought I'd post some photos of my UE conversion, mainly so it will give me an incentive to continue with it rather than just have it sitting by the computer ....

Hi Barry --

I agree with the others that you're off to a good start ... so popular vote (thus far) says "continue!" Or, if that's not enough, "we the viewing public eagerly await the next installment!" :lol:

But seriously, you've got a great start whittling away at the basic structure to come up with an overall shape that will work extremely well with a Gn15 critter ...

And one of my UK friends has kindly posted an ErGnie to me ... so I'll be among the huddled masses needing some leadership on this one ... or at least some more inspiration! 8)
Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas Mallerich
Boulder Valley Models
www.bouldervalleymodels.com

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:49 am

Yes, please do continue Barry. As the others have noted its amazing how you have taken a child's toy and come up with a plausable outline for a model loco 8)

Simon.

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dallas_M » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:05 pm

Hi Barry --

I've had to come back and bookmark this thread, because ... :D ... a British buddy kindly sent me one of those little Underground ErGnie' track cars ... now I can better appreciate the size of this thing, and love the simplicity of your adaptation.

Also received one of the subway sets (oops, "tube" ... but mine is the "Brooklyn" version, so I guess that goes back to subway) ... so I'll have to tear into that and see what can be done.

Glad you've posted your pix! More progress? Please keep us posted ...
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

Giles B
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Giles B » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:43 pm

Oh, excellent, young man! Nice and simple, and very effective.

Did you just cut away the original bogie sideframes, or was more involved? The downward extension to the buffer-beams is inspired, too. I'd been wondering what to do with them; now I gnow. Definitely gives me ideas for my UE. Glad I didn't start on it today as planned, but got on with some other unfinished model stuff in (sorry!) HO.
Giles

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:35 pm

Wonder if there will be a narrow gauge bashers competition this year, similar to those adapting Bachmann Gandy Dancer many years ago. Does any one gnow if 7mm narrow gauge soc members are adapted this unit as much as we are.
I am looking at a 1/32 scale version, hoping to leave as much of orininal, but currently a bit tall for warehouse so may adapt warehouse rather than UE :roll:
Also thinking about using it for 1/12th project, probably not much more than a motorized char :lol:
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:18 pm

Giles B wrote:Oh, excellent, young man! Nice and simple, and very effective.

Did you just cut away the original bogie sideframes, or was more involved? The downward extension to the buffer-beams is inspired, too. I'd been wondering what to do with them; now I gnow. Definitely gives me ideas for my UE. Glad I didn't start on it today as planned, but got on with some other unfinished model stuff in (sorry!) HO.

Sideframes were just cut off flush with the inside face of the sideframe. You do have to put some supports at either end (glued to the baseplate Gnot the bogie) to prevent the motor bogie from rocking backwards and forwards.
The bufferbeams stumped me too for a while, but then I had the brainwave to turn the bufferbeams into ballast weights :D

Progress has stalled slightly as I wasn't happy with the way the new sideframes were coming along so I've binned them and starting again with new ones :roll:
Barry Weston

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:53 pm

OK, time (at long last) for an update.

Binned the replacement sideframes, and the set after that too :roll:

A brainwave..........................................

The sideframe overlays from a Sidelines Gn15/G9 Tiny kit :D

The sideframes were reduced in height to the top of the spring end pivots

The frames were then ACC'd to the loco, BUT!!! they are only glued to the underside of the running plate and gnot to the motor bogie sideframe. If you glue them to both, you won't be able to remove the motor bogie if you have to.

The frames do trap the screws that hold the chassis to the body, this is not a problem as you can still access the the screws, you could re-locate the screws if you need to.

The gap between the front and rear "ballast weights" and the frames will be filled.
Barry Weston

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Many things

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:30 pm

Nice to see you've been able to get some more work done Barry, the sideframes do look the business.
*Insert witty signature here*

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Dallas_M » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:02 pm

Bravo Barry --

More simple but highly effective changes ... keep it rolling! :!:

You'll save some of us the trouble of figuring out what to do. :lol:
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:53 pm

Added the four pieces of plasticard to the underside to join the frames to the ballast weights.

As before, the plasticard is not glued to all the edges. The parts are only ACC'd to the sideframes and not the ballast weights. As can be seen from the photos of the underside, the sideframes are connected to the chassis baseplate but the ballast weights are actually part of the body. It would be extremely easy to accidently glue the chassis and body together, not a problem until you want to take the model apart......... 8)
Barry Weston

on30critter
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: On30, Gn15

Postby on30critter » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:24 am

Hey Barry, great looking Ernie. Did you ever finish it? I would like to see it painted. What did you do for a seat, motor cover, and the top of the hood?

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:13 pm

on30critter wrote:Hey Barry, great looking Ernie. Did you ever finish it? I would like to see it painted. What did you do for a seat, motor cover, and the top of the hood?

Gnot quite finished :oops:

Will have to dig it out and take some photo's of the critter when I get the chance, might be a couple of weeks though so don't hold your breath on this one :wink:
Barry Weston

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:50 pm

More_Cats_Than_Sense wrote:
on30critter wrote:Hey Barry, great looking Ernie. Did you ever finish it? I would like to see it painted. What did you do for a seat, motor cover, and the top of the hood?

Gnot quite finished :oops:

Will have to dig it out and take some photo's of the critter when I get the chance, might be a couple of weeks though so don't hold your breath on this one :wink:

Most of us have expired Barry, not so good holding one's breath for 2+ years. :twisted:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:31 pm

(Gnot)Funnily enough, a lot of things have expired in that time....

I know where the UE is, I've even found some of the other UE's that I aquired at the same time. Life hasn't been anywhere near where I need it to be for any sort of modelling unfortunately. While things aren't likely to improve anytime soon, I'm taking steps to get my head in the right place to want to model again.

I haven't forgot the project, I'll continue with it at some point, just don't try and hold your breath. :?
Barry Weston

Return to “Modelling Matters”