A Wonky Pizza in G12

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Many things

A Wonky Pizza in G12

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:43 pm

I made a start today on my second G12 layout, this time it's going to be a rather wonky pizza in an area of 24" by 18". Only got the baseboard frame completed so far, the sundela top will be added tomorrow and I may make a start on the track and the wonderfully simple electrics but that depends on whether I have enough time.

Here is the frame:

The construction of this layout was triggered by the Dereham show last year and hopefully it will be appearing at this years show. The 5 months or so from initial plan to starting construction can be blamed on a lack of money, materials, time and simplicity sidings. :wink:

I posted a plan in my general G12 thread a few months ago but I might as well post it here for reference. I'm going to follow the basics of this plan but as per usual if I have a better idea in the meantime it will change.

I definitely want the fence and shed on the plan to feature on the layout as they are really the main scenic elements but I suspect that the small section of building in the top right corner will go as I don't think it'll add much to the scene and will merely complicate matters.
*Insert witty signature here*

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow/'minimal' gauge, modelling in 1/16 scale on 16,5 mm track representing 10 1/4" gauge

Postby mad gerald » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:02 pm

I always get in trouble with the scales and gauges - what scale/gauge is G12 ... ?

And what are you gonna place in the middle "under repair .."? What kind of loco/rollingstock are you gonna use on your estate railway/what is it's purpose?

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:11 pm

G12 is my name for G scale on 12mm track which is normally used for TT or HOm modelling.

The under repair item would be a Land Rover Defender, I may not use that idea as I'm not sure if it'll look good. For the rolling stock all I'm going to have available is a couple of small diesel locos and 6 wagons suitable for general freight. As for the purpose of the estate I've not got a clue as this layout is merely meant to be a something I can use to run my models rather than a layout with a specific theme.

Rowley
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: paradise mining co type modelling

Postby Rowley » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:29 pm

Hi Nick
Liked the idea of the layout . If you're having a Land rover defender being repaired, why not have the purpose of the estate as a repair shop,with the loco's bringing in the parts etc'. some discarded auto junk would add to th scenery
All the best
Rowley
Rowland Sutton

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:33 pm

My thought initially was that this was a real estate railway so this scene is a tucked away part of the grounds around a manor house, where the inevitable landie is getting a service and the shed is likely to be a small tool shed which would explain why the landie is there.

So car junk is a great idea but I'm not sure if it's really suitable in this particular setting, however I do like the thought and may implement it if I ever model a larger area of the estate (I plan for all my Gn15, G12 etc layouts to be on a single estate)

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:59 pm

Gnice work on the frame Nick :D I could lend you a weathered VW Beetle for the centre spot to check for size if you think the Landy might be a bit big :wink:
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:00 pm

I've got a 1:24 model of a Dodge Charger somewhere if that fit's I reckon the Defender will. :wink:

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:33 pm

I'll wager it's a similar colour to a certain diesel.......... :wink:
Barry Weston

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:43 pm

Nope

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:44 pm

You mean to say you have a Dodge Charger, and it's not yellow?!? :shock:
Barry Weston

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:24 pm

Well I said that I was going to be getting the baseboard finished and I've just finished putting the sundela top on the frame, I would have done it this morning but I was busy doing other things. Overall the baseboard has ended up having 1/4" less depth than I was planning making it 24" by 17 3/4" but given how poor I am at this sort of thing it's a minor miracle that it's even square(ish). :wink:

A couple of pics of the bare baseboard:

And finally with some stuff on it to give a sense of scale:

Next step will be marking out where I want the track to be and figuring out how I'm going to wire it up. Then I'll move on to the fun stuff. :D

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:35 pm

A darn sight further than I managed to get in recent years- looking forward to updates...
Andy in Stuttgart
More railway misadventures on:
www.korschtal.wordpress.com

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:37 pm

Well I have got good motivation to get this finished and that's a show appearance later this year. :shock:

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:20 pm

Great start Nick It is good to have a good foundation for any layout regardless of the materials used.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Rowley
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: paradise mining co type modelling

Postby Rowley » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm

Hi Nick
I see what you are getting at now. Look forward to seeing the finished layout. Happy modellling
All the best
Rowley
Rowland Sutton

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:31 pm

Nick Ellingworth wrote:Well I have got good motivation to get this finished and that's a show appearance later this year. :shock:

I always built best when there is a target to work to. When you get stuck on something, you are forced to find a solution and carry on, rather than cast it aside (to join the other unfinished items).
If there is no reason to finish it, then it is unlikley to be finished.

It is a good size area you have Nick, so plenty of room for what you have planned.

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:37 pm

Speaking of unfinished stuff I really ought to get my simplicity sidings finished (the shed door) and I also need to finish painting a few wagons. Oh well I'll start on those after I've got the track down...

On the subject of track I have discovered (by simply playing with flexitrack) that some of the curves I originally planned need to be widened slightly thankfully I've got the space to do that, a side effect of that is that I will have some more room in the middle for scenery. :D

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow/'minimal' gauge, modelling in 1/16 scale on 16,5 mm track representing 10 1/4" gauge

Postby mad gerald » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:16 pm

Great start, Nick,

I wish I could spend that time on my layout and make that fast progress - if only I knew what to build ... :(

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:20 pm

the only reason I can progress as fast as I have in the past couple of days is because I'm still at university, the next 2 days are full of lectures so I'll be slowing down again, still I hope to have got the track laid and wired up by Monday, this of course is assuming that I can work on the layout over the weekend.

If you're not sure what you want to do for a layout I suggest trying a simplicity sidings style layout, they're very quick and are perfect for trying scenic ideas. I used my version to test construction methods I intend to use for this layout.

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:31 pm

Today I've been able to make a start on the track laying, unfortunately a lot of my time was spent cutting webs from the flexitrack sleepers so I could get a more suitable spacing between them so the track hasn't been finished yet but more of it is done, and the first wires to the track have also been installed. I intend to add another set of wires to ensure a good flow around the layout.

Like with my simplicity sidings layout I've used superglue to hold the sleepers in place simply because it's quick and easy. I hope to get the track laying and all the wiring finished tomorrow.

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:11 pm

Managed to finish the track laying today, the wiring has also been completed and tested. One thing testing has highlighted is a need to clean the track but I was expecting that and the track turned out to be cleaner than I thought it would be.

Even better news is that all my stock will get round the corners with ease, which is a relief as I was expecting to have to relegate one of my wagons to static displays only.

The track (from the viewing side):

The wiring:

Sorry about the poor pics but the natural light was appalling and the artificial light didn't really help, the photos weren't even usable without some serious editing.

Before I go any further I'm thinking of adding a disused siding to the front of the layout to add a little variation to the scenery but I'm still not sure if this is a good idea of not so I would appreciate some views on the subject.

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:43 pm

Trackplan looks good Nick :D I like the irregular curves :D

As to the disused siding, are you thing about a dummy point? Or just a piece of track the looks like it was once the "mainline" but now the track route is different due to changing use of the Estate?
Barry Weston

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Postby AndyA » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:31 pm

In the front of the photo, the curve in the middle could have been a point leading to a siding roughly parallel with the edge of the board. The could have been removed, and with some junk at either end could be a diorama for displaying some stock - I'm a fan of having stuff in front of the running line so that trains pass behind a scenic break.

just a thought

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:41 pm

More_Cats_Than_Sense wrote:Trackplan looks good Nick :D I like the irregular curves :D

As to the disused siding, are you thing about a dummy point? Or just a piece of track the looks like it was once the "mainline" but now the track route is different due to changing use of the Estate?

I'm open to either, since this is simply a pizza anything that suggests the railway exists out side the area modelled has got to be a good thing.

AndyA wrote:In the front of the photo, the curve in the middle could have been a point leading to a siding roughly parallel with the edge of the board. The could have been removed, and with some junk at either end could be a diorama for displaying some stock - I'm a fan of having stuff in front of the running line so that trains pass behind a scenic break.

just a thought

regards
Andy A

You're right about that, I'd never spotted it before, I 'll have to see if I've got enough track to do a section like that properly.

teetrix
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge in H0 and 0n30/0f

Postby teetrix » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:03 pm

How about a sometimes used track to a pile of compost and some vee-tippers?

Michael

Return to “Modelling Matters”