Air Loco .........The End

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:39 pm

Gordon,

I generally don't like air locos, but this is looking great! 8)
Especially with all the details you have put in.

You have mastered the plastic moulding technique well.
Nice job on the roller!

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:50 am

Imagineering wrote:I've just blown the photo up & enhanced it with Photoshop and it appears there is a 'Flanged' Wheel under his butt. It looks to be only about 200mm (8") in diameter.

If you do the same at the front you will see the same- could be just Castor's rather than a roller ? Think that backs up the theory about dealing with abrupt changes in gradient and avoiding sparks

How long can one sad person stare at one photograph for :?:

Answers please in plain brown envelope with used Fivers to pay for my treatment

Oh Forest what have you done :wink:
Gordon F

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:13 pm

Making slow but steady progress - couple of shots of backplate with additions from the usual source of old lighters, odds & sods, etc.

Image Image

Need to figure out how to add hand controls then on to the brake assembly which is very visible on the original
Gordon F

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:38 pm

Wow :shock:
Details overload!

Did you make the air pressure gauge?
It looks great! 8)

foswaldy13
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Music, photography, travelling, College Football

Postby foswaldy13 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:52 am

This is really coming along nicely Gordon. I only wish my modeling skills were as good as yours.
Matt Oswald

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:01 am

Nuts and bolts, turny handle things, dials and pipes!!!................. I Love it!

Great details Gordon, I really like this kind of modelling, and it's obvious you excel at it. Not normally my kind of subject, and I must admit I would of passed it over had you not brought it to my attention again. I still think it's an ugly Curr! - but you can't help but lean in for a closer look.

Cheers for now ................ Andi.

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:28 am

I love it big time 8) It has everything I enjoy in a critter. Great little details, personality and character. Gnice one Gordon 8)
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:38 pm

Glen A wrote:Did you make the air pressure gauge?
It looks great!

Glen, as I have no idea what the bits do that I have actually added I guess you are referring to the round thing at the top?
If so its just a thin slice of standard aluminum tubing stuck on to a backing of plasticard.
When I can figure out how I will print of a front face for the gauge and enclose it with some "glass"
Gordon F

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:35 am

Compliments,just love that bugger!!

Greetings

Chris :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock: :D :lol: 8)
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:56 am

:lol: I recognise some of those bits, useful things cigarette lighters :wink:
Guess you also need to get busy with bits of wire to represent all the pipework? Have been trying to figure from the photo how the air gets from the tanks to the drive and am guessing that there is a manifold of some sort on the backplate, which cant be seen from the angle of the photo. Shame we dont have a view from the front.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Air Loco

Postby Bilco » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:15 pm

Hi Gordon - there are some gauge faces you can print in Tome No 6 - you can download it from the Gn15 web site - link at the top of this thread. You can print as found - black on white - or negative - white on black - as required.

I think Steve Bennett made some available somewhere here, butr I can't find the thread at the moment. :roll:
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Re: Air Loco

Postby gfadvance » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:25 pm

Bilco wrote:Hi Gordon - there are some gauge faces you can print in Tome No 6 - you can download it from the Gn15 web site - link at the top of this thread. You can print as found - black on white - or negative - white on black - as required.

I think Steve Bennett made some available somewhere here, but I can't find the thread at the moment. :roll:

Thanks for reminding me, had forgotten they were there - ran some off and unlike "Murphy" I was lucky one of the dials was exactly the right size.

In place to check - will reprint on to photo paper and put in place after final paint job.

Gordon F

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby dieselwater » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:39 pm

Wow! Fantastic detailing Gordon 8)

David.

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Air Loco ( free style)

Postby gfadvance » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:00 pm

Altered title as the more I got involved in this the more I deviated from the prototype, ah well never mind all part of the fun :)

OK model just about ready for the paint shop so thought I'd show you where we are up to. Lots of pipes, valves , manifold, brakes etc added out of scrap, bit upset that i had to go and buy one sheet of plasticard to finish one bit off - other wise its all out of the scrap box.

Image Image

Image Image

The front end is total conjecture, as I have no details. Worked on the basis that with light weight rear end it would have to push rather than pull - as we established it worked in munitions stores I have added rubber faced pushing pads as it adds a bit of interest.

Hand controls are separate as I need them while working on the figure of the driver. As for the rest I'll leave it alone now for a couple of days then come back and sort out all the errors, glue spots etc that will become obvious.
Color scheme probably German field grey - in keeping with its use, may try some of this color modulation that I keep reading about and will share my success and failures with you .
Gordon F

foswaldy13
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Music, photography, travelling, College Football

Postby foswaldy13 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:10 pm

Looks wonderful :!:
Matt Oswald

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Funky narrow gauge equipment!

Postby Dallas_M » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:38 pm

:shock: Holy Contraption, Plasticard Man! :shock:

Look at all those gizmos and gadgets and doodads and details! This wee beastie just oozes personality no matter what the viewing angle ...

Brilliant, bravo and well done! Geez ... you haven't even slathered it with one of your wonderful paint and/or eve-of-destruction :wink: weathering jobs ... so I suppose as good as it looks, it can only get better.

Why don't you come over and play in the scrapbox here for a while .... we'll feed you! :lol:
Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas Mallerich
Boulder Valley Models
www.bouldervalleymodels.com

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:55 pm

It's a work of (detailed) art!

I don't envy you doing the painting. Trying to get the paint around all those small parts is going to be a fun job. NOT.

I can't wait to see the finished result though!

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:58 pm

Fantastic job Gordon. All the Gee-whizz details are just fabulous. I'm rather glad you've slipped from prototypically - and most probably because that's the most enjoyable route I suspect, and secondly because I've been playing with a bit of something that I've worked very hard on to make sure it's more about the whimsy than the reality!

Gordon you seem to be experiencing a renaissance of modelling joy? It certainly looks as though that's the case if this latest project is anything to judge you by!

Looking forward to further updates................ Andi.

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby dieselwater » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:49 am

Looks really smashing Gordon :D All the details are a real joy to discover when observing your fine model 8) I love the overall industrial look of the loco, that all these details contribute to.

David.

route29
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: model railroading, trains

Postby route29 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:14 pm

Great looking locomotive, Gordon. I love the details. Very nice work. :D
John

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:09 pm

Thanks for all your kind comments guys - much appreciated. :)

Dallas,
I'm going to try very hard not to over weather this one - maybe just a degree of wear and tear. Thanks for the invitation - I'll be with you shortly to root thro' your bits box :wink:

David,
as the "critter king" thanks - trouble is you just keep churning them out and they all show much more imagination than my little efforts :)

Glen,
you may well be right ............. I normally paint as I go along but trying something different this time , failure is always an option :)

Andi,
"experiencing a renaissance of modelling joy"
probably but most of down to this forum there is such a range of ideas that you don't end stuck in a rut and building your 15th Panther, etc,etc.

"I've been playing with a bit of something that I've worked very hard on to make sure it's more about the whimsy than the reality! "

Andi, your baiting the hook again for us - torn between 2 emotions with your work - depression :cry: that I don't have your imagination and :D when I see the quality of what you have produced .............. so don't leave us hanging for to long before you share your latest creation.
Gordon F

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:32 pm

Great stuff. Like many air locos just haven't turned my modelling juices on and the thought of all the pipework etc but you really have captured it nicely.

Now a question, what will it be called? Generally infernal combustion and kettles are quite obviously boy or girl locos. This one, I just can't tell :?
Paul
Gnu Zealand

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:43 pm

Paul,

no idea what to call it ........ suggestions welcome, lets not be too rude :lol:

Sorry just a bit of ego polishing here - a view that won't be seen once all the bits are stuck together but at least I know ( and now all of you :wink: )
that the pipework/manifold etc are actually there................

Think I have more than a bit of tiding up to do :oops: ...........................
Gordon F

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:03 am

gfadvance wrote: - a view that won't be seen once all the bits are stuck together but at least I know ( and now all of you :wink: )
that the pipework/manifold etc are actually there................
8)
and if they weren't there it would gnaw at you every time you looked at it, we know here how modelers can get, there's been one or two pass by.
:wink: :lol:
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby dieselwater » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:13 am

Critter King... nah :oops: Critter addict...more like it :twisted: :lol: And I blame all you smashing chaps here 8)

I always find it exciting getting a coat of paint on a model. It transforms it from being a nice collection of bits and bobs, and brings the whole model together 8) Pipes look good and I think you'll get a nice sense of them when the model is fully assembled, giving the loco depth 8)

Name idea :? "Air on a Shoe String" :wink: :lol:

David.

Return to “Modelling Matters”