Flea Conversion

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Flea Conversion

Postby gfadvance » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:07 pm

Evening all,

When I decided to build Simplicity in the Round while not completely clear in my own mind what it would represent I did want to use a small critter and appropriate mine tubs .
Therefore I purchased from Mr Bennett a "flea" and some of his mine tubs .... which look like this for the uninitiated

This turned out to be an excellent purchase , both tubs and flea are great little kits flash free and easy to put together ........ so were great to do the testing of the new layout.

Now one of my many faults is that I have an inability to keep to a standard kit, always seem to want to change it and therefore have ended up with huge pile of half completed conversions....... this time I was determined because the layout was the thing.
However, testing completed noticed in the instruction leaflet that came with flea that Steve mentioned that one could add extra detail if one wanted ......... now I am waiting for one or two bits for the layout and I was trying to stay away from 1/12 scale so last weekend thought I would just have a slight fiddle with the flea, maybe a few lifting rings bit of extra wiring etc. I had actually put it together using the PVA method so a quick soak and I had a pile of bits again.

So what extra detail would I add ...... 10 minutes on the web and hell I found this (sorry copyright issues so you need to follow the link)

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=292161

Its great isn't - it will be built in1/12 one day :)

So the idea of some light detail changes went out the window .... what we have is my usual mishmash its certainly not a scale copy but hope it gets some of the originals charm.

Image Image

Similar angle showing the the original model and what I have done to ......sorry Steve

Image Image

These are fairly lousy pictures but as I am keen to get some paint on this soon thought i post and get feedback comments from you guys so I can change things while I can - at the moment a lot is held together with blue tack and a lot of wiring ,etc is still to be added ........ and of course the bell.

So if you have views fire away - I can fix, paint and get back to the layout. :)
Gordon F

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:28 pm

Looks pretty good to me Gordon. 8)
Don't forget the "Graffiti" when painted. :twisted: :lol:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

foswaldy13
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Music, photography, travelling, College Football

Postby foswaldy13 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:37 pm

WOW :shock: :shock: , looks BEAUTIFUL to me....... :!: :!:

I especially like the "welded" patch on the bottom of the cab.
Matt Oswald

steerngo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: most itams ng

Postby steerngo » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:00 am

YELLOW & RUST WITH WASP LINES ON THE ENDS WOULD LOOK GREAT.
Love the welded patch also

ken

marc_reusser
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Industrial NG of all scales and gauges

Postby marc_reusser » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:06 am

Gordon,

Wonderful modification, very cool! Nice detail work. Look forward to the paint.

Marc

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:22 am

OK OK OK,
not fair...................I am falling in love with all the new critters that show up,
especially when they are built as exquisitely as this one.
There is not enough time guys..........................What to do??????????????

Congrats,fantastic work.Can't wait the painted version.

Greetings

Chris :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: 8)
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:28 am

Ooh Gnice one Gordon 8) I like that :D
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Funky narrow gauge equipment!

Postby Dallas_M » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:04 am

W :shock: W!

That's really cool Gordon! Makes a huge difference in the appearance of the loco, even though the basic structure is unchanged.

Needs one thing (from that prototype photo) .... that little hand-rung bell that hangs in the cab! :)

And your "lousy" pictures are really quite good .... it's tough to photograph projects with white plasticard bits, but you've done a good job of capturing lines and shadows to give a clear indication of what you've built. :wink:
Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas Mallerich
Boulder Valley Models
www.bouldervalleymodels.com

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:16 am

What a great kit bash.

The picture is popular. I was the 1,000,000th visitor today - WHAT not all the rest of you as well :P
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:54 am

Hi Gordon,

I love the welding lines of the piece at the bottom of the cab. How do you do that?
The over-center catches on the hood are good too. 8)

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:17 am

:shock: What have you done to my kit :shock:
:lol: Love it :lol: What a great conversion, good thing I'm busy doing other things, otherwise I would be rumaging in the scrap box for the bits to copy you :wink:
What more can I say, I really like it and cant wait to see the weathered paintwork :)
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Granitechops
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge, quarry, minerals & timber etc..Mainly in 25mm to the foot

Postby Granitechops » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:27 am

Eh, Lad

great individuallity!! :!: :idea:

Love your interpretation

Did any one else notice the link used as a coupling?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=292161

I have been using some single core earth wire to make links, & had ruled out using the multistranded
red/ black ( whatever) other ones.

But it looks like as its NG, they have used some wire hawser & crimped the middle :lol:

Prototype for everything dept
Don
Stoneycombe & The Penrose Valley Railway in Sunny Devon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqXftHeRMUU . . Modelling is 50% observation & 50% Adaptation

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:01 am

Thanks for all the kind comments- everyone seems reasonable happy with it ............ even Steve seems to have forgiven me for what I did to his original :)

Couple of answers

Dallas, no definitely will not forget the bell......... classic modelling dilemma there though, original pictures shows bell is broken but if I model it that way you know what the comments I will get :wink:

Glen, weld bead........ deliberately not as subtle as some of the military guys produce - they are inclined to use modelling putty, in my case I first of all glued a thin ,10thou patch and then glued around it a piece of stretched spruce or you could use microstrip. This was then "soaked" in liquid glue and when soft the weld beaded worked into the softened plastic with small screwdriver.

OK - will tidy it up a bit, finish some detail and then have a bit of fun with the paint/weathering :)
Gordon F

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:08 pm

Gordon.....................

Fantastic job............ bits and pieces, odds and sods - doo dads and doofa's.......... and all in the perfect order and exactly the right amount.

What a great job, and a terrific reference pic - it's easy to see where the inspiration came from - once you set your eyes on it you were almost committed to build it!

Fantastic................. Andi.

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Andi,

good to see you back :D - hope things are getting better.

Thanks for the compliments but will wait and see what you are going to wow us with

take care
Gordon F

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:16 pm

Very nice, the additions really give it a different look, all your own, the welds look just like they should, a quick fix kind of weld job a tool like that little trammer would get by someone who is a general repair guy and not some specialty welder! Again beautiful additions.
Scott B

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:55 pm

Time for an update on this.

Could say I got sidetracked with a couple of other projects - which would partially true but did fit them in while paint, etc, was drying so did not loose a lot of time on the Flea!

OK so this is what I have been up to

This is the second stage of painting, first stage was to undercoat in flat black did not photograph this as there is not a lot to see :lol:
Second stage was to spray with a basic rust color - and yes I am playing with the beauty of an airbrush , as I sprayed at a constant angle - roughly 45 degrees so that I left areas either not touched or only lightly sprayed so that the undercoat of black was still evident.

Hopefully you can still see the shadows created by this process ........ definitely need to improve my photo set-up.

Next was to spray on in random patterns an increasingly lighter number of shades brown, to orange/brown, orange and finishing with lighter touches of yellow.

Image Image

Again tried to leave some of the shadows untouched , would like to say the splatter effect was planned but the truth is I an still learning in getting the paint viscosity right and I got it wrong here, but it worked :D

The next stages I forgot to photograph :oops: but are fully covered in http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=5476 which cover the stages of sponging on a variety of colours then hairspray and addition of salt,etc.

After that and while the salt was still attached to model I sprayed a a base coat of green , followed again by lighter shades along edges top of model etc ( its a very simple version of the colour modulation technique used by the military modelling guys). Again sprayed a a fairly constant angle and still trying to leave areas in shadow with the flat black undercoat still showing thru'.

So now I am at this stage, I have removed most of the salt crystal by brushing them off, some of the smaller pieces will need to be removed by toothpick etc.

There are always bit of a model you end up really liking and bits you don't :cry: But in this case I really love the effect I have got on the roof, just need to try and keep this during the next bits.

No more photo's, next stages will be put in some scratches and polished wear also increase some of the shadows around bolts, rivets etc and then give bottom of the Flea some light dusting of dirt,etc.
Gordon F

Hans H
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge and off roading

Postby Hans H » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:24 pm

Ooooo I'm green with envy...is this a nice loco or is that a nice loco.
I do like the looks of the ware and tare (mind You i don't know the spelling at theis hour....or ever :shock: )
But I think You get the picture.
Very nice work....might have to try and copy you if You don't mind.
Cheers
Hans Hammarsten
Västerås, Sweden

foswaldy13
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Music, photography, travelling, College Football

Postby foswaldy13 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:27 pm

:shock: :shock: WOW :!: :!: :!: very nicely done Gordon.
Matt Oswald

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:35 pm

Very nice Gordon, the roof especially has worked superbly.
Probably wouldnt mention this with someone else and hope I have read your writing correctly, but get the impression, you are not so happy with the chips on the rest. The great thing using salt, is the random position of the chips, it's also one of the drawbacks as they dont always appear in logical positions. Works great on flat panels, but does have limitations where there is a lot of raised detail.
Having seen your work with scratches before though, I'm sure you will get the rest looking as fantastic as the roof :wink:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

http://www.pepper7.com

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:21 am

The roof looks fantastic and I`m sure the rest will look just as good as you get the rest of the salt picked off. Some powders and or powder paint may also help to soften and age it as you go, but I`m sure you have it all planned out as the model looks great. I really must dig out my airbrush and practice as it really does superior work.
Scott B

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:19 am

Steve Bennett wrote: but get the impression, you are not so happy with the chips on the rest. The great thing using salt, is the random position of the chips, it's also one of the drawbacks as they don't always appear in logical positions. Works great on flat panels, but does have limitations where there is a lot of raised detail.

Probably the way I wrote it, as you say the great thing about the salt technique is the random pattern you get, yes there are some bits that could be better ...but aren't there always :lol:

:idea: You always learn something and on this one its been that I should have a good look at the model after applying the salt and pick off any overlarge crystals before going on to the next paint stage - I had switched to to applying salt via a salt grinder to reduce the sizes but even with this method you still get some that are really out of scale with the effect I'm looking for.

Think what I was trying to say that by combining the salt and h/spray rather than doing what I think most people do and apply the salt using water, you can then go on to distress the sides of panels where the salt may not stick. By brushing some water you soften the paint bond on the hair spray and it gives you a very controllable way of lifting paint where you want to. ............ which is what I have been doing this morning followed by some pin washes.

Anyway you judge for yourself when I post some update photos
Gordon F

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:27 am

scott b wrote: Some powders and or powder paint may also help to soften and age it as you go, .

Thanks Scott.

yes been thinking about using some weathering powders but as this will actual be a working model, on a layout :) I'm a bit wary due to the handling this critter is likely to get.

Found in the past that fixing the powders is OK for very limited handling but if you spray on a coat of say matt varnish then every ends looking very flat, sorry :oops: , and you end up loosing the different tonal/surface textures you worked hard to create in the first place.

Anyway will see.
Gordon F

elcamo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: gn15, garden railroading,aquariums and paludariums

Postby elcamo » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:32 pm

looks awesome!!!

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:41 pm

Up to your usual extraordinary high standards there Gordon!

Will the fine pealing layers of paint sticking up stand up to being handled?

I hope you are going to run it really slow so every one can get a good look at all the details as it goes past.

Return to “Modelling Matters”