A new Gn15 layout in Devon

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

mud magnet
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 / 7mm narrow gauge

A new Gn15 layout in Devon

Postby mud magnet » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:14 pm

Hi, I've been working slowly on a new Gn15 layout, which I am attempting to get finished in time for an exhibition in November (7th in Barnstaple to be precise) and thought that a few photos would be interesting. The pictures below were taken some time ago and thankfully quite a bit of progress has been made, but I have not had chance to get any more photos taken.

The basic theme being an estate railway, with the track passing through the arch in the wall (just out of shot to the left). I am thinking about positioning some trees behind the wall and possibly a backscene with a photo of a national trust house in behind. There will be a loading bay in front of the sliding door, where supplies for the estate can be stored / loaded. The area in front of the old stables will (hopefully) be used to store statues / large plant pots / other estate related items.

The track is Peco 00, and now ballasted and then buried to hide the sleepers. Some work has been completed on the scenery. I will post more photos in the next few days.

Any comments would be welcomed.

Richard

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:49 pm

You have made a great start. :!: Are you having a fiddle yard at the arch end so that stock can be run to a pattern :?:

I like the trees idea, but remember how tall a tree is in Gn15. 40 ft, a small tree, is about 20 inches tall.
I am making boxes to transport three trees I have made and they turn out to be quite big to take the spread of the branches.
Good luck with the layout it looks like a great start.

Ralph

mud magnet
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby mud magnet » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:04 pm

Thanks Ralph.
Yes there will be a small fidle yard to the left, which currently is only long enough for one loco and one wagon, but may be extended.

I take your point re the trees, perhaps tall bushes may be more appropriate. I've not yet decided fully, so watch this space.
Richard

elcamo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: gn15, garden railroading,aquariums and paludariums

Postby elcamo » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:13 pm

looks good!

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:31 pm

You kept this quiet Richard :)
Looking very good and I really like the stonework, it looks very much like good old Devon sandstone. Nice touch with the bricked up window in the stable block.
Will be looking forward to the next set of pics and knowing how you have the eye for scenic work, I'm sure we are in for some treats.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

foswaldy13
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Music, photography, travelling, College Football

Postby foswaldy13 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:04 am

I am really looking foward to following the rest of this build. What you have done so far is very impressive.
Matt Oswald

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:06 am

Hi Richard,
great job.Love the stone work,xlnt.
How did you do the slate on the roof?

Greetings
Chris :oops: :shock: 8)
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:17 am

Hi Richard,

Looking really good. Good work on the stonework. I really like your windows especially 8)

I've just noticed those stable doors, could we have a closer look if possible? They look fantastic. Thanks
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

mud magnet
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby mud magnet » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:36 pm

Hi, thanks for your comments.

The windows are modified Grandt Line (0 scale). The stone work is carved Das, having been sanded 'flat' after glueing using PVA onto foamboard. The windows then fitted and any gaps filled with Green Stuff. The stones are then painted with Citadel / Games Workshop 'stone' colour (I can't remember the actual name). Once dry, the brick and stone colours are drybrushed acrylic.

The slate roof is simply coloured paper (from an arts store), cut into strips then individual slates. Each row is glued using PVA. It doesn't actually take too long to do. The lead flashing is white paper coloured using a felt pen.

The stable doors are plasticard, suitably scribed and grained. Painted humbrol wood brown then dry brushed using acrylics.

Thanks for interest. Hopefully I will add some updates later this week.
Richard

mud magnet
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby mud magnet » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:39 pm

Steve Bennett wrote:You kept this quiet Richard :)
Looking very good and I really like the stonework, it looks very much like good old Devon sandstone. Nice touch with the bricked up window in the stable block.
Will be looking forward to the next set of pics and knowing how you have the eye for scenic work, I'm sure we are in for some treats.

Steve, I have been working on this for a while, but was in two minds whether to add to the forum, but a looming exhibition helps to focus the mind to actually finish it!

I think that the stone colour came out more by luck than judgement, but wanted to keep the colour pallet simple. Must be the local influence!

More scenery work to follow. Made some progress over the weekend. Photos to follow.[/code]
Richard

Dave Westall
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: NG Railways, Pre-1968 BR (LMR)

Postby Dave Westall » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:10 am

Very nice inspirational work 8) but I'm intrigued as to why there are 2 clothes peg springs on the baseboard in the first picture :?

Dave
May your wheels never rust.

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:55 am

Aarg... I'm resisting temptation to make anything in Gn15 and you make something like this...

Beautiful modelling. I look forward to seeing the progress...
Andy in Stuttgart
More railway misadventures on:
www.korschtal.wordpress.com

Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:40 pm

Love it! The stone work is inspiring.

Cheers,

Chris

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby dieselwater » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:49 pm

Those doors really are nice. Look forward to seeing the progress. Thanks for sharing with us

David.

mud magnet
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby mud magnet » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:03 pm

Dave Westall wrote:Very nice inspirational work 8) but I'm intrigued as to why there are 2 clothes peg springs on the baseboard in the first picture :?

Dave

Hi Dave, I only noticed these after posting the photos. They have since ended up in the spares box - may have a use one day!
Richard

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:46 am

Hi,
I absolutely love how you did the building,but what is CARVES DAS?

greetings

Chris :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops: :lol: 8)
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:41 am

chris69 wrote:Hi,

greetings

Carved DAS. Well this of course :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

DAS is air dried modelling clay available in white or terracota which is easilly carved or perhaps more accurately the surface is scratched to represent bricks or stones after it has dried for about 24 hours.
Paul
Gnu Zealand

mud magnet
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby mud magnet » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:23 pm

DCRfan wrote:
chris69 wrote:Hi,

greetings

Carved DAS. Well this of course :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

DAS is air dried modelling clay available in white or terracota which is easilly carved or perhaps more accurately the surface is scratched to represent bricks or stones after it has dried for about 24 hours.

Thanks Paul :D :D
You answered the question better than I could.

A fellow modeller uses tile grout - the ready mixed variety in a tub from the local DIY / hardware / decorator store. This is applied in the same way, left to dry and sanded flat. Then before carving, the surface to be carved is wetted with water to soften the grout to allow it to be carved. If left dry, it will just break the edges when carving.
Richard

mud magnet
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby mud magnet » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:33 pm

I have attached a couple of photos showing some of the progress taken earlier today. Weather not great, but just about ok to get these photos.

An overall view.

The exit to 'fiddle yard'. There will be a small engine servicing area / shed in front, where the timber has been glued between the rails.

End of sidings. The scenery still needs lots of work, but a start has been made. The sleepers have been largely buried (still need to finish around the point blades) has been achieved using the soot left from the garden barbeque! The 'logs' are twigs from the garden.

Still plenty to do, but will add updates when more progress made!
Richard

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:04 pm

Looks even better in the overall shot
I like the feling of space you have and the angles on the buildings work well, giving unusual lines for the eye to follow.
Hoping I will get to see this one for real sometime.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

http://www.pepper7.com

Central GnU Yorker
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gas Mechanical Critters, Canals, Water powered mills

Postby Central GnU Yorker » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:33 am

mud magnet wrote:I take your point re the trees, perhaps tall bushes may be more appropriate. I've not yet decided fully, so watch this space.

TALL KNIGHT: When you have found the shrubbery, place the shrubbery here, beside this shrubbery ... only slightly higher, so you get a two-level effect with a path through the middle.
Brian Collins

Strike while the iron isn't looking

elcamo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: gn15, garden railroading,aquariums and paludariums

Postby elcamo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:46 am

bring me a shrubbery! :lol: :lol: where did you get that foliage in the front? looks GREAT!

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby dieselwater » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:00 am

Looks even better in the overall shot
I like the feling of space you have and the angles on the buildings work well, giving unusual lines for the eye to follow.

Agreed :) The layout really does have a nice spacial quality. I think the colour tones of the structures help too. Look forward to seeing the workshop/ engine shed at the front, it's sure to be a very nice feature 8)

David.

Granitechops
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge, quarry, minerals & timber etc..Mainly in 25mm to the foot

Postby Granitechops » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:50 am

Hi from the other side of Devon

Nice work, particularly like the stonework, looks like you have studied real walls closely.

I remember an art teacher saying to the class in Morrab Gardens Penzance, draw that wall, DONT draw what you think you see, draw what is THERE!! :roll:

I also like the way the storage area in front of the Stables is naturally bounded by the wall on the left ( stable to Arch ) and the other storage building sticking out.

Gives an "enclosed" area without anything obscuring the view,

Bit like where leaves eddy around in the wind & naturally come to rest

More ideas stored in back of mind :lol: :D

Did you finish off the bare Das with a slightly coarser grit to give that "Stone grain" texture?

Doubt if I will make it to Barnstaple, but will be at Exeter in October for that show
Don
Stoneycombe & The Penrose Valley Railway in Sunny Devon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqXftHeRMUU . . Modelling is 50% observation & 50% Adaptation

mud magnet
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby mud magnet » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:30 pm

Did you finish off the bare Das with a slightly coarser grit to give that "Stone grain" texture?

Hi Don, the Das is only shaded flat with 100 grade sandpaper (sorry glass-paper) to get it relatively flat. The corner bricks have been carved firsted, after had marked the coarses in pencil. The stones are carved by eye, trying to get the right balance between stone sizes and realism.
As noted before, after painting all over 'grout' colour, the stones are dry-brushed. The dry-brushing adds to the texture effect.

Thanks for comments. More updates to follow.
Richard

Return to “Modelling Matters”