Any one else modelling in 1/35 scale ...

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Pandy
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: most things narrow gauge

Postby Pandy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:09 pm

Got it in one Gerald ! :) it's the Welsh for "thanks" The use of Welsh where I am at the moment ? no, it's not common, but as part of my ancestry is Welsh I'm trying, actually my Welsh is appalling, but you know what they say, what do you call a man that only speaks one language ? English ! :) As for the local midlands dialect, particularly the Black Country area, it's supposed to be about as close to the old anglo-saxon dialect as you can get. The West Midlands was a political invention from 1974 from parts of Staffordshire, Worcestershire & Warwickshire, some of us still don't acknowledge its existance :) So I'm either sitting in Worcestershire or Mercia :) Actually, we have been thinking of changing our location in our profile after wondering how the railways of a particular country might have developed, the Duchy of Grand Fenwick, Leofric, King of Mercia used the double headed eagle as a symbol and it just so happens there's one on the flag of Grand Fenwick :) At least we'll be able to use the Schleich figures for the Army of Grand Fenwick :)
Us ? warped ? :) :)

(Edit - Juergen beat us to it, now, enough waffle from us, back to the original subject :) )
Dave & Lorraine, more ideas than space, time & finance permit !

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Funky narrow gauge equipment!

Postby Dallas_M » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:08 pm

Well, I was biting my lip and trying not to say anything here for the moment, but good ole Matt (foswaldy) chased me into a corner! :twisted:

My Gn15 layout project stalled some months ago when things just didn't "feel right" ... it was originally intended as a 35n2 layout ... then I built some big stock that made me think about Gn15 (quite seriously, obviously) ... but, again, something just felt wrong about where it was heading. Maybe it was the effort to make a 15" gauge common carrier? :oops: :roll:

Meanwhile, I've started a micro layout in 55n3 (1/55 scale):
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topi ... C_ID=28213

This is still in the early stages, but feels very, very comfortable ... it's similar in size to 1/48 scale (just a bit smaller) ... it's 3-foot gauge (quite familiar) ... it's set in the US southwest (where I've enjoyed a few visits) ... and it's a dinky little project that feels very manageable.

So, what's the point? :lol: Oh yeah, the point ... working on the new little micro has given me some ideas about what went "wrong" (for me) on the 35n2/Gn15 layout ... and I think, at this point, that layout will be going back to 35n2.

Meanwhile, I'm going to focus my precious modeling time on getting things rolling with the 55n3 micro layout ... and keep pondering the larger scale layout.

So, Gerald, you and Marc and the others may have more company in 1/35 scale in the future! (Or maybe not, sometimes my danged mind changes when I wasn't even looking.) 8)
Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas Mallerich
Boulder Valley Models
www.bouldervalleymodels.com

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow/'minimal' gauge, modelling in 1/16 scale on 16,5 mm track representing 10 1/4" gauge

Postby mad gerald » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:31 am

Pandy wrote: ... The West Midlands was a political invention from 1974 from parts of Staffordshire, Worcestershire & Warwickshire, some of us still don't acknowledge its existance ...

We have similar (political) invenstions here on the continent too ... :D ... well then, diolch Pandy and Juergen ...

BTW: Does Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod really mean "My hovercraft is full of eels" * - and when does such a thing happen? :shock:

*EDIT: offered as an "useful phrase" in WWW ... :?

Dallas_M wrote:Well, I was biting my lip and trying not to say anything here for the moment, but good ole Matt (foswaldy) chased me into a corner! :twisted:
So, Gerald, you and Marc and the others may have more company in 1/35 scale in the future! (Or maybe not, sometimes my danged mind changes when I wasn't even looking.) 8)

Well Dallas, it seems it happened what anytime could happen to a railroad modeller - input overdoze, combined with a change of mind ... 8) :twisted:
Last edited by mad gerald on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:58 am

Dallas_M wrote:Meanwhile, I've started a micro layout in 55n3 (1/55 scale)

Oh no not another scale to consider :cry: :cry:
Paul
Gnu Zealand

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:14 am

We have similar (political) invenstions here on the continent too ...

Yes, Gnordrhein-Westphalen, Gniedersachsen, Gnecklenburg-Vorpommern,Gnieder-Oesterreich, Gnieder-Bavaria plus a Toyfair in Gnuernberg /Gnobberfranken next month.

Would love to see a model of a Hoovercraft full of eels. In any scale.

Have Fun

Juergen

Brack
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: O9, 15" gauge, industrial modelling

Postby Brack » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:14 pm

did a bit of thinking about 1:55/1:50 a while back for modelling irish raliways. There seemed to be more figures/vehicles around for 1:50, and that way you could get pretty close to 5'3" too, as well as using your 16.5mm for the 3 foot.

at the end of the day, decided I could live with the compromise of 7mm/16.5mm.

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:21 pm

Brack wrote:did a bit of thinking about 1:55/1:50 a while back for modelling irish raliways. There seemed to be more figures/vehicles around for 1:50, and that way you could get pretty close to 5'3" too, as well as using your 16.5mm for the 3 foot.

at the end of the day, decided I could live with the compromise of 7mm/16.5mm.

I've now started working in 1:55. It's a nice scale and there's a very friendly 1:55 scale association about.

However, eldest son has decided he wants to build a railway with daddy, so it's out with the cardboard and 1:35 figures for a bit...
Andy in Stuttgart
More railway misadventures on:
www.korschtal.wordpress.com

Fr. Tavernier
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: 1:35 scale

Postby Fr. Tavernier » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:02 pm

Gerald, I do!

If you are interested, you can find some brands...

U Models has a resin kit of a Billard T75 gas loco and a Pechot flat car :

http://www.u-models.com/catalogue_scale ... hicles.htm

Glernorcy Models also has a project of a Billard T75 gas loco, but it's a
photo etched kit...

Some photos of the first photo etched trials

Here the Bullant especially created for Glenorchy Models...

http://glenorchymodels.co.nz/

Scale Link has some kits in 1:32, with a Pechot-Bourdon steam loco, an Hunslet steam loco, a Simplex gas loco, etc... of the War Department :

http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Nar ... ilway.html

Without forgetting the very beautiful productions of David Provan, too ignored:

http://www.david.provan.btinternet.co.u ... ilways.htm

Slater's has a nice 1:32 scale Ruston Hornsby 16/20 gas loco and little Hudson skip :

http://www.slatersplastikard.com/locos/32NGLocos.html

http://www.slatersplastikard.com/wagons/32NGWagons.php

And last but not least, the Sweden productions of LOG CABIN with his SALA little gas loco :

http://www.logcabin.se/index.php?sida=l ... angtext=ja
That's all folks!
Franck.

http://public.fotki.com/FranckTavernier

Fr. Tavernier
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: 1:35 scale

Postby Fr. Tavernier » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:08 pm

Take a look here, my friend Claus Nielsen almost finished his Billard T75 U Models...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nystrup_gr ... 513064266/

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:58 pm

Must resist, resolve weakening (said in broken slow speech pattern) that scalelink stuff is wonderful and if I had not just started a project I think my resolve would have broken. I have always wanted to do a WW1 trench railway layout and everything I want is there (minus my large wallet to get the stuff I added up in the 10 minutes looking)
Bookmarked :shock:
Scott B

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:40 pm

trouble with the Scalelink stuff is that it is 1/32 supposedly not 1/35 and there are getting a lot of WW1 military items in 1/35, plus the scale gauge is better suited to OO track and mechanisms. The 1/35 railay kits are not cheap, and I started scratchbuilding a semi armoured Simplex, and a friend is planning to make masters for a resin kit, but nothing yet and I don't like to push as it is a friend. Also when I saw the photos of that scrap restoration I realised how much was hidden by armour body, which the military modellers would still want. :roll:
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow/'minimal' gauge, modelling in 1/16 scale on 16,5 mm track representing 10 1/4" gauge

Postby mad gerald » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:31 am

Franck,

Fr. Tavernier wrote:Gerald, I do!

If you are interested, you can find some brands...

... unbelievable to see, what has been built and what is available in this scale ... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ... thank you for posting all this additional information ... your contribution is very much appreciated :!:

scott b wrote: ... everything I want is there (minus my large wallet to get the stuff I added up in the 10 minutes looking) ...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

John New
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: railways large and small.

Postby John New » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:22 pm

Although not going to start anytime soon, I have too many other part started things on the go already, but the 1:32 farm and military models available do make it a good compromise as that bit bigger than 1:48 but not as big as 1:24. May well be tempted in the future.
John
http://www.stephensonloco.org.uk | http://www.yorkshow.org.uk | http://www.island-publishing.co.uk

Remembering it’s a hobby and I am allowed to smile!

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:22 am

My 1:35th rail trolley is nearly finished

Paul

Gnu Zealand

Will Vale
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: BC narrow gauge, NS, Enoden, other stuff too long to mention.

Postby Will Vale » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:41 am

I've been looking forward to this one - and with good reason. It looks great! Is the mesh on the back etched? It's impressively fine, and unlike me you didn't clog it with paint...

Is it going to be clean or dirty?

Cheers,

Will

Les
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Railway and warship modelling, gardening DIY, history

Postby Les » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:20 pm

Fantastic job Paul! That is impressive modelling. 8)
Les

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:02 am

Hi Paul.
I love the critter,first class work.But what is it? I may have missed something in the process.

Greetings
Chris :?: :oops: :oops: :oops: :?: :lol: 8)
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:38 am

Will Vale wrote:I've been looking forward to this one - and with good reason. It looks great! Is the mesh on the back etched? It's impressively fine, and unlike me you didn't clog it with paint...

Is it going to be clean or dirty?

Cheers,

Will

The mesh is brass ech painted with spray. I now need to find a suitable square ech for the grenade cover/roof which was supported a canva cover and VERY fine mesh for the bullet tumblers fitted off the sides.

The weight of the brass over the rear means it is very a**e heavy when sitting on the turntable hence the brass pins protruding from the turntable mount. The plastic rod just wasn't up to it.

It will be finished 'in use'. I'm in contact with a former driver of one of these trolleys who has told me some had a cargo box on the rear and a ladder carried for repairs to signals. They will make the ballance even worse. Fun, fun, fun :lol:
Paul

Gnu Zealand

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:57 am

chris69 wrote:Hi Paul.
I love the critter,first class work.But what is it? I may have missed something in the process.

Greetings
Chris :?: :oops: :oops: :oops: :?: :lol: 8)

See back on page 1 of this thread. It's one of a series of different armoured rail trolleys the Rhodesian Railways developed based on Land Rover mechanicals to patrol the raillines during the Bush War.
Paul

Gnu Zealand

PeterH
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Railway history, drinking beer

Postby PeterH » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:51 am

Hi Paul: Most impressive rail trolley. It has the quality that great models have: that it looks like it perfectly captures the prototype even if you have not seen the prototype.
Peter

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:20 am

Hi Paul,
looked at the pictures,wow,you captured it to the T. First class modeling.
Amazing what the military builds to serve their needs.

Greetings
Chris :lol: 8)
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:20 am

DCRfan wrote:
It will be finished 'in use'. I'm in contact with a former driver of one of these trolleys who has told me some had a cargo box on the rear and a ladder carried for repairs to signals. They will make the ballance even worse. Fun, fun, fun :lol:

So, the drivers had an armoured car, but then when a repair needed doing it was out of the steel box and up a ladder?

Your model looks far findeer than our cardboard-and-recycled-bits diesel locomotive. I look forward to seeing it finished...
Andy in Stuttgart

More railway misadventures on:

www.korschtal.wordpress.com

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:08 am

DCRfan wrote:My 1:35th rail trolley is nearly finished

... looks great! 8)

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:33 am

Korschtal wrote:So, the drivers had an armoured car, but then when a repair needed doing it was out of the steel box and up a ladder?

That must have been the task of the junior person in the crew :lol: :lol: Ah they were armed with WWII bolt action rifles and sten guns :P Actually they had more modern weapons and you need to put it in context, the country was at war so in their 'spare time' they were in the Police Reserve or Territorial Army which was probably a darned sight more dangerous :roll:
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Return to “Modelling Matters”