Any one else modelling in 1/35 scale ...

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Les
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Railway and warship modelling, gardening DIY, history

Postby Les » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:03 pm

Reminds me I was modelling in 1:35/1:32 scale on 16.5mm track 8 years ago before I got hooked on 1:24. Sold most of the stock. Now slowly building some more as time permits: http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=5675&start=25
Les

Fr. Tavernier
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: 1:35 scale

Postby Fr. Tavernier » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:00 pm

scott b wrote:I have always wanted to do a WW1 trench railway layout and everything I want is there (minus my large wallet to get the stuff I added up in the 10 minutes looking)
Bookmarked :shock:

Scott,

The Scale Link Range is a good thing to do a WW1 trench railway :wink:

The U models range is in fact a new run of the old French brand 13ème DLM...At that time, the 13th DLM produced in addition to the platforms, the tank as well as the Péchot bogies...

Let us hope that U models will produce soon the tank and the bogies..
That's all folks!
Franck.

http://public.fotki.com/FranckTavernier

Fr. Tavernier
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Fr. Tavernier » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:04 pm

mad gerald wrote:Franck,
... unbelievable to see, what has been built and what is available in this scale ... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ... thank you for posting all this additional information ... your contribution is very much appreciated :!:

Gerald,

Thanks for the kind words...

I forgot the Smocky Bottom and Complexx brands. But Complexx doesn't exist anymore :? :cry: This brand was too, very expensive!

Fr. Tavernier
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Fr. Tavernier » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:04 pm

Les wrote:Reminds me I was modelling in 1:35/1:32 scale on 16.5mm track 8 years ago before I got hooked on 1:24. Sold most of the stock. Now slowly building some more as time permits: http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=5675&start=25

Nice painting job!

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:02 pm

just a few minor details and weathering to do

Paul
Gnu Zealand

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:29 pm

That is one funky gizmo. Looks like something from an apocalyptic sci-fi story.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:08 am

Superb bit of modelling Paul, lots of nice clean detail and captures the real thing perfectly ..... or at least from what I have seen in photos
Gordon F

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:29 am

Lovely modelling- but I'm still curious about how they were used. It seems that if you wanted to attack one all you need to do is cut a wire and wait for the technician to come motoring along and get out of the armoured car to fix it. Were there two crew members so one could keep an eye open? Or am I missing something?
Andy in Stuttgart
More railway misadventures on:
www.korschtal.wordpress.com

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:00 am

Like you I wondered how they were utilised. I have been in contact with a former driver of one. In an attempt to tease out more stories I have posted the info gathered to date on a Rhodesian chatforum. So rather than repeating it here, if your interested please have a look at http://www.newrhodesian.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=312&sid=953ff490db5982148ea67d6cb42abb58

There are some interesting things I've learnt about Rhodesian Railways during the bush war. For instance they removed the engine and electrical systems from a small number of large mainline diesel electric locomotives and replaced them with very large diesel tanks. Externally it looked like a normal loco, the twin cabs still had all the normal controls, it just took way more diesel than normal locos when refuelled :lol:

Due to the UN sanctions which restricted the importation of fuel the loco was double headed at the front of a normal train and was then refuelled in a neibouring country hence smuggling bulk fuel back across the border - cunning aye :shock:
Paul

Gnu Zealand

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:17 pm

Wow Paul, very nice work and what an odd vehicle.
Scott B

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:19 pm

Thanks for the link and the stories. That does make more sense. I looked up the weapons the driver carried as well- it looks an effective weapon.

What is sad, ist that the description of the infrastructure then contrasts with a friends description of the country now.
Andy in Stuttgart

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:48 am

Hi all,
I think I messed up on the scale of my center cab electric.For some reason it looks a bit small next to the 1:24 figures. But there may be the slight chance it would fit in to the 1:32/35 range. Since i won't be near a hobby shop for a while ,may be you can help out with the average figure height.
I came up with 53 mm for a 185 cm tall man,am I close?

greetings
Chris :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) :shock:
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

Pandy
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: most things narrow gauge

Postby Pandy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:21 am

Hi Chris, the William Britain "Autoway" construction figures that we're planning to use measure 56mm to the tops of their hard hats, 54mm is the generally accepted term amongst the military figure buffs, so you're about right. As with things like Barbie/Cindy & Action Man/G.I. Joe they do tend to represent what is commonly regarded to be the physical ideal, slightly taller or shorter figures are perfectly acceptable, there are some thinner looking figures around, need to find ourselves some with a little more in the waistline department :)
Dave & Lorraine, more ideas than space, time & finance permit !

michik
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: paper models, comix, cats ...oh, and railways!

Postby michik » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:08 am

Since the question was "Any one else modelling in 1/35 scale ..." -
never forget Marcel Ackle (though he switched to Gn15 by now!):

http://www.feldbahn-modellbau.ch/album/v/anlagenbau/waldbahn/

Michi
ROMANES EVNT DOMVS!

...and don't drop the banana!

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:16 am

Pandy wrote:Hi Chris, the William Britain "Autoway" construction figures that we're planning to use measure 56mm to the tops of their hard hats, 54mm is the generally accepted term amongst the military figure buffs, so you're about right. As with things like Barbie/Cindy & Action Man/G.I. Joe they do tend to represent what is commonly regarded to be the physical ideal, slightly taller or shorter figures are perfectly acceptable, there are some thinner looking figures around, need to find ourselves some with a little more in the waistline department :)

Thank you for the tip helped a lot.
Greetings
Chris :roll: :roll: :oops: :lol: 8)
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Korschtal » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:04 am

Does anyone know of a relatively inexpensive source of female figures? preferably not in the guise of barely dressed barbarian warriors.

has anyone tried Britains or Siku figures, for example?
Andy in Stuttgart

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:13 pm

There are a few female figures in the Masterbox range. See http://www.mbltd.info/models.htm

See also http://www.hlj.com/product/KAD35-013
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Funky narrow gauge equipment!

Postby Dallas_M » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:36 pm

Korschtal wrote:Does anyone know of a relatively inexpensive source of female figures? preferably not in the guise of barely dressed barbarian warriors.

has anyone tried Britains or Siku figures, for example?

MK35 (mk35.com) makes some very nice resin figures ... look at the 1/35 civilians ... there are several females.
Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas Mallerich
Boulder Valley Models
www.bouldervalleymodels.com

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:49 pm

for figures there are some relatively cheap ones on eBay from China. I think they are Preiser paint testers, as range is limited.
Although not as cheap Preiser do some very nice 1940s era unpainted figures in 1/35.

The reference to Masterbox is interesting as another company in Ukraine, Miniart, are extended their extensive range of war damaged plastic building kits to some war time cars and accessories such as fencing, telegraph posts and tram posts as well as more part buildings which can be adapted easily.
http://www.miniart-models.com/
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Will Vale
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: BC narrow gauge, NS, Enoden, other stuff too long to mention.

Postby Will Vale » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:12 am

At the cheaper end of the scale, I bought this set:

http://www.hlj.com/product/TRP00412

locally for 1:35 civilian use. The woman is probably going to acquire a hard hat and clipboard, and the tank crewman is a good "bloke in overalls" figure.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:47 pm

Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Korschtal » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:01 am

Many thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably follow up the Preiser lead first, as they are in a village not so far from here.
Andy in Stuttgart

Return to “Modelling Matters”