Smallbrook studios - GN15 'Hector' tender locomotive

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Smallbrook studios - GN15 'Hector' tender locomotive

Postby Mark Goodwin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:21 pm

The photos below shows the latest engine from Smallbrook studios to grace the rails of the Much Gnattering & Far Twaddle Light Railway (MG&FT). Loco No 5 "Vesta". Sister loco No 6 "Swan" is currently under construction.

The above profile shows some modifications to the orginal kit. I have added a sandbox between the front spring and cab side on the engine as an additional concealer of the motor cover. Cab footsteps have also been added. The cab contains a reversing leaver made from an old split pin set into a plasticard base plate (not visible in the photos). The springs on the tender have been placed on the underframe rather than the tender side thus permitting the MGFT (Slaters station lettering) initials to be clearly visible. They are the same font, but smaller in size as those shown above the engine shed doors.

Hector comes with some beautifully made boarding for the tender and a still set up for clean fuel generation. 'Vesta' is coal fired and I felt that the boarding was a little bit too decorative even for the MGFT.
The engine in its original form shown below.

Mike Rayner has come up with another gem. Thank you Mike. I am constructing a pair of hybrids, exchanging cabs and pressure valves with Nellie and Hector to be known as either a 'Neltor' or 'Heclie'

Watch this space.
Best Wishes,
Mark

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:43 am

G'day Mark

After looking at your work I must say that you have raised the original kit ( which looks to be excellent ) to a whole new level :D

The paint job really brings the loco to life.......and puts my humble efforts in the shade :!:

It also shows that if you give four different modellers four identical kits you are likly to get at least five different models :!:

You have probably answered this before but do you use air or hairy brush to apply the paint ?

Keep up the good work even though it does make me want to take up cake decorating or something.

Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Painting

Postby Mark Goodwin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:12 am

Adrian,

Yes, Mike has cast a few new parts to make interchanging of them interesting. Whilst I have an airbrush, the finish on 'Vesta' is all done by the dry brushing method. The reason for this is the panelling - where the name plate sits and the MGFT letters are placed on the tender. I use aerosol varnish to seal it all in and to make sure handling won't rub it all off !! What I have learnt is that varnishing reduces the shading effect, so in finishing off 'Swan', I might go a bit lighter and bring out the airbrush to place a bit of dark grey loco grime over the engine.

Mike has also recently introduced some "Emett" style milk churns - £8 for three - an ideal load for dropside wagons and decoration for station platforms. He has also produced a station nameboard for £10. I'll get my camera out soon and put soon photos in the 'Trade Tittle Tattle' section

I would also recommend the latest Games workshop citadel paint washes to achieve some easy shading effects - Vallejo also now make something similar.

Thanks for your kind comments regarding 'Vesta', perhaps with 'Swan' I could do a sequence showing the methods I use.
With kind regards and best wishes
Mark

Dave freeman
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: 7MM NARROW GAUGE GN15

Postby Dave freeman » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:35 am

`Vesta' and `Swan' seems like a perfect match. :roll: :D

(sorry shall go back to my cornerand keep lurking :oops: :oops:
DAVE

I'M ALWAYS IN IT . ITS JUST THE DEPTH THAT VARIES.

bluey1989
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bluey1989 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:09 am

Loving your work mark, truely awesome and inspiring.

I am looking for bargain bill and ben locos at the mo, until then I am holding off purchasing the bodies.

Will Mike be adding his full range of locos, parts and accessories to the website anytime soon?

Is there anything else in the pipeline from Mike you know about?

Cheers

Andy

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:50 am

Andy,

Thanks for your kind comments. Mike's website is updated only occasionally by his son- in -law, so it doesn't always keep up with his developments. I have found the best way to contact him is by telephone. The website contains contact details including a tel. no. ( 01983 520584). I have always found him amenable for a chat and a joy to talk to, but I always feel guilty about talking to him as I'm taking him away from his design and casting activities !! :oops: :D

I'll place some photos of the milk churns and station running in board in the trade tittle tattle section soon. He is currently working on a station lamp and a 'coupe coach' in GN15.

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:55 am

Dave,

You and I are on the same wavelength, "swan" and "vesta" are indeed a perfect match !!! :lol:
Kind regards
Mark

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:24 pm

I don't know if anyone is interested in history, but in speaking to Mike Rayner of Smallbrook studios, he told me the story of the ornate pressure valve casting on his GN15 Hector.

In the 1920's, Mike's Mum opened a Christmas cracker and in it was a little toy lamp. As a child, Mike was fascinated by it's shape but was never allowed to get his hands on it. When his Mother passed away, his daughter found the lamp and gave it to Mike, who was reunited with it some 50 or so years later. It inspired him to use the lamp as a casting for Hector's pressure valve.

What a wonderful story !
Regards
Mark

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Sun May 02, 2010 3:32 pm

Having recently purchased a double action airbrush of German origin, and having compared the finish on Vesta with an airbrush finish, I decided to repaint her.

Results below:

This view shows the additional reversing lever made from a split pin.

Sister engine "Swan" can be seen in this view will also recive a repaint in due course.
Kind regards
Mark

Return to “Modelling Matters”