Trabant Centrepiece

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:02 am

G'day Andy

How true: for anything where I can, I'm now learning how to fix pipes, taps and things myself -even buying specific tools is cheaper...

Although, in Aussi land, you can buy all the bits and tools in the local hardware store one is not allowed, legally, to do ANY work on plumbing of any kind, including replacing tap washers :!:

Closed shop for the plumbers :!:

Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

Postby Cross Kitter » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:08 pm

In England they're not supposed to change windows :evil: Of course being in Cornwall we ignore that stupid rule.

In fact we tend to ignore most stupid (that'll be all of them then) rules that the English government come up with. :lol:

Now being electrically incompetent I do always call in an Electrickerist. Problem is they say they will be with me "Dreckly" which is very much like the Spanish "mañana" but not quite so urgent :roll:
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.
I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

david colley jnr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: all things steam, railways under 15" gauge and anything else that moves!

Postby david colley jnr » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:34 pm

Simon, I believe the law is not that you can't change a window yourself, but in fact you can't charge to change someone else's windows. Tis to try and stop the thieving cowboys, not the brave DIY'ist.

However, we're not allowed to touch electric or gas, and soon we won't be allowed to touch water soon.....

Bugger them though, I say. What they don't know won't hurt. I don't need some crappy piece of paper to say i can connect a sink up or put a frickin' cieling rose up. "it was like it when i bought the house..." will be the most used phrase for the next twenty years...

<<<<RANT OVER>>>>

David
Check out the website,

www.sherwoodforestrailway.com

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:01 pm

david colley jnr wrote:However, we're not allowed to touch electric....

Not strictly true that :wink: There is actually quite a lot you can do as a DIY'er, however kitchens and bathrooms (and a few other things) do require certification, so while you can do them, they will need to be certified by someone who can sign the document (which could actually cost more than if they did the work themselves).

It's mainly to stop the "a little knowledge is a bad thing" bodger from electrocuting someone or burning a property down. As with gas, most people won't touch it because they don't understand it, the problems start (as with most disasters) when people think they understand it, when they actually don't.
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:16 pm

Just to confuse things a bit more, some of the things a DIY'er can do by law and doesn't have to be inspected by a qualified sparky/plumber does have to be inspected by a building inspector :?
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:17 pm

Boy and I thought the building code in the US was messed up.....

Chris :roll: :roll: :roll: :oops: :lol: 8)
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

Postby Cross Kitter » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:11 pm

Does anybody know if the kit includes a bit of "Gaffer Tape" as per the first picture? :lol:

And how would we get a smoke unit in the exhaust? :roll:
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.

I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:26 pm

Troble is , in some cases the so called professional is worse at doing the job than the amateur. Our first house has refurbshed by a proffessional(???) builder who obviously did not know how to fix electric sockets to walls as they came loose very quickly. Then at our second house, we had local electricity company fit new heating, but when they turned up to do job they said we need a new earth point(which should have already been fitted). We pointed out that the son of the previous owner was one of their bosses, and obviously should have known better, and we got the earth put in for free. :lol:
I wouldn't want to touch gas, or install electrics, but feel quite capable to change some electric fittings, as long as I use common sence. I wouldn't want to install plumbing, but the humble tap washer does not need an overpaid plummer being called out.
Sounds more like government officials trying to justify the amount of money spent on training(wasted?) up new electriciains and plumbers. As with other unemployment issues they seem to be obsessed with the idea that retraing people will instantly create jobs, when all they are doing is giving people false hopes and putting off the ineffitable.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:50 am

G'day Simon

Have just been through my kit three times and found no 'gaffer tape' anywhere :!:

Perhaps its not a standard factory option :?:

Been thinking about a smoke unit and think that it would need to be built into the baseboard.........not nearly enough space in the model for a decent sized tank for the smoke fuel.

Also if smoke was fitted and realistic it would only be possible to run it for short periods of time without choking everybody in the room :shock:

It would also be in danger of setting off the smoke alarms......not a major problem at home but at an exhibition it would probably automatically call out the fire brigade and then you would be up for their cost......which, I have been told, is not cheap :roll:

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:54 am

The exaust system is not the big problem. Its the colour of the smoke, which should be an oily blue-gray. A suitable sound module for a tiny two stroke engine has yet to be developed.

I can recomnend, to buy two kits of the model. They look more impressive, if they are a bit longer:

This one in 1 : 24 I build from a cardboard kit many years ago. Of course it is not rusty, only muddy.

Have Fun

Juergen

underworld
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: narrow gauge everything...and standard gauge too!!!

Postby underworld » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:00 pm

Love the rail Trabbi.....and the rail moped! I've been looking for a larger scale Trabbi 1/12th or 1/18th....or something in between.

underworld :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
http://www.myspace.com/underworldimage
Currently on tour with Sleeper Cell

Sleeper Cell new album out soon!

Listen for me mornings 5:30-10 89Xradio.com
Shooting video for MTVs Making Of A Metal Band

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:36 pm

A 1 > 18 Trabbi should not be too diifficult to find. For other scales, get a cardboard kit http://archiv.der-pappenbauer.de/body_index.html , scan and enlarge to the scale zou need it.

Have Fun

Juergen

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:59 pm

there were certainly some 1/18th scale Tabies around a couple of years ago because I had some which I eventually sold. I also have come across some in what looks like 1/32nd scale.
1/12th is only really starting to emerge for car models, but might be worth checxking out radio control manufacturers as one at least produces plastic bodies for cars(and caravans), mainly British outline.
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/kamtecmodels/m.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A1%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A2471&_ipg=200&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

http://www.kamtec.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

underworld
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby underworld » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:41 am

Juergen
Thanks for the link! I guess that is the great thing with paper models, you can make them most any scale!

Simon
Hadn't thought about radio control cars. The bodies are reasonably priced too! There is a national radio control convention in Toledo next weekend. I was going there anyway now I Gnow something else to look out for~!!!

draisinenl
'boxer
'boxer

Postby draisinenl » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:52 am

Trabant's...... There is nothing like the real thing....

Here is mine with some "On Topic" on the trailer..

Trabi rulez........

Michael

underworld
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby underworld » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:29 pm

Awesome Michael!!! Any more pics of the trailer load??? 8)

John New
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: railways large and small.

Postby John New » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:24 am

Are the two tall white masts a save fuel attachment or for when it conks out?
John
http://www.stephensonloco.org.uk | http://www.yorkshow.org.uk | http://www.island-publishing.co.uk

Remembering it’s a hobby and I am allowed to smile!

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Adrian » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:41 pm

G'day John

The masts are for the sails when it takes to the water just like James May's Herald in Top Gear :shock:

Cheers
Adrian Hoad

Return to “Modelling Matters”