Quayside in a suitcase...

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:48 pm

I tend to use blue foam and a ball pen to pave my Gn15 roads.

I go over it with one of these cloth irons to make it flat.

Have Fun

Juergen

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:39 am

at which point it took off like a cork from a bottle.

A great image

One obviously observed over time! :wink:

Being a beer drinker myself the popping corks are less common.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:42 pm

‘lo folks,

Looking at the Hornby based loco the wheels are much thicker than on the sidelines wagon, so much scraping of blocks to add a bit of clearance later I can report that the loco now runs :) . Not brilliantly mind you, but well enough to keep me happy :roll: .

The derailing issue at the bridge turned out fairly easy to fix – something seemed to have shifted a bit since I stuck things together and to fit the bridge section the case had to be opened slightly more than 90 degrees, so the quayside and buildings were sloping back and this put a kink in the track at the join. A bit of delicate adjustment (hammer and chisel…) and the jetty is now moveable again.

Spurred on by things sort of working again I decided to get on with the groundwork, I abandoned the idea of dry grouting as the smallest bag of powder grout I could find was 3Kg, seemed a bit excessive for the amount I’d need, so I mixed some grey paint into readymix polyfilla and splurged it all over the place working it between the setts with a finger and wiping off the excess with a damp sponge. A bit fiddly near the track but quite a quick process actually.

Here’s a slightly fuzzy pic of the result after the filler has dried:

Obviously there’s still a lot to do but I think it’s starting to come together as a scene now…
Ian K
Be seeing you...

MrPlantpot
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: I likes anyfink wiv wheels, I duz. At the moment I am building a Narrow Gauge Layout, 1/32 scale on 16.5mm (0n16.5) track.

Postby MrPlantpot » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:05 pm

Brilliant, Ian.
I don't know if it's due to the 'soft focus', or the 'grouting', but that looks even more realistic than the previous shots.
Sorry this is now a bit late, but have you checked the 'back-to-back' on the loco ? I recently bought an 'ex-trainset' Hornby quarry loco which refused to go through points. I checked the wheels.. only 13.8mm! Opened them out a tad, and it's as smooth as the proverbial babies botty.
Keep up the good work. :D
My Mum calls me Steve.
1:32 on 16·5mm track. Gnot strictly minimum gauge... but it is the minimum that I'm working with !
And now... a critter in 1/24th... from scratch!

trefor
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: I am interested in railways generally. I have started making a layout, sort of 15" or possibly 18" gaugeish

Postby trefor » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:15 pm

Love the blocks (sets?). I was thinking of these but I suspect that random cobbles might look more natural in the ex farm yard and buildings now the estate sawmill that new members new layout represents. Uhm I havn't got a clue as to how I'm going to do these. :? Mind you that's part of the fun isn't it, isn't it?
Trefor

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:18 am

Thanks folks,

The fuzzy photo probably does help Steve, but it wasn't deliberate, honest :roll:

Here's a sharper one (trying macro mode), I've been playing with hanging basket liner, woodlands scenic stuff and paper so a few weeds have sprouted:

Not sure about cobbles Trefor, perhaps a similar process with round bits of clay? As you say a lot of the fun is in experimenting, I'd never tried any setts or cobbles before doing this lot - it's good to try new stuff.
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:26 am

That looks the part Ian. Just a small enquiry - those weeds? Are they produced with a "crafters" punch? Or are they an off the shelf item [ I suspect not as you seem more inclined to do rather than buy!] - in that case - have you fashioned them yourself - and if so - How! [remember that programme]?
KBO .......................... Andi.

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:03 pm

The weeds were done with a punch, swiping the idea from Steve's Simplicity Sidings thread. I used a punch much like the smaller pink one here:
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t= ... &start=505

I just punched the bits from ordinary white paper the painted then with poster paint, and stuck two or three together bending them into a cupped shape as per Steve's method. Nothing original here I'm afraid :roll:
Ian K

Be seeing you...

dunnyrail
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: G Scale and 0 Scale

Point Levers

Postby dunnyrail » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:49 am

[quote="Ian-IoM"]Thanks folks :D

Here's another piccy:
[img]http://my.gn15.info/iomdeck2.jpg[/img]
(The crossways plank ends showing below the actual jetty surface are a just half inch stubs butted onto the edge of the MDF the track was built on.)

Trefor, the point lever is home made - I built it up from plasticard, then painted it grey and brushed with graphite powder for a metallic sheen. I made it a while ago for another project but it might end up living on the jetty.[/quote]

Hi I have just started to look at this Forum having been interested in all Railway Tiny for some time. Too late now sadly but the point lever problem may have been solved with a 00 Wrenn Point Lever, I use these on my 0 Gauge Light Railway and they just look the bizo. For Live Frog Power change I made up switches from 2 very small brass roundhead shrews and a wiper from the blade with some fine flat Nickel Silver. Simples, though in your case you could have put a small Micro Switch changed by the point operating sleeper and all hidden under some wood ( removable to service) .

If I could work out how to add pcs I would post a couple for you. Perhaps I should start a small thread on just that subject.

JonD
JonD aka Dunnyrail

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Re: Point Levers

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:05 am

dunnyrail wrote:Hi I have just started to look at this Forum having been interested in all Railway Tiny for some time. Too late now sadly but the point lever problem may have been solved with a 00 Wrenn Point Lever, I use these on my 0 Gauge Light Railway and they just look the bizo. For Live Frog Power change I made up switches from 2 very small brass roundhead shrews and a wiper from the blade with some fine flat Nickel Silver. Simples, though in your case you could have put a small Micro Switch changed by the point operating sleeper and all hidden under some wood ( removable to service) .

If I could work out how to add pcs I would post a couple for you. Perhaps I should start a small thread on just that subject.

JonD

Welcome to the forum dunnyrail, if you have a look in 'Blether' there is a sticky topic that tells you how to post pictures to the forum.
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Granitechops
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge, quarry, minerals & timber etc..Mainly in 25mm to the foot

Postby Granitechops » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:58 am

John, just a thought,
when you copy & paste pic details, make sure you dont include a SPACE at either end when copying that sometimes mucks up pasting properly
Don
Stoneycombe & The Penrose Valley Railway in Sunny Devon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqXftHeRMUU . . Modelling is 50% observation & 50% Adaptation

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:17 am

Here's the image so all can see it:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Boghopper
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railway modelling

Postby Boghopper » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:17 pm

I love your quayside JonD. On of my many "dream" layouts was to be an inglenook on a quayside with either a Captain Pugwash theme, complete with a model of The Black Pig, or Tintin figures. Perhaps one day...

Look forward to seeing your progress.
Capability Chris

Creating beautiful gardens across the southeast
http://chrisodonoghue.co.uk
http://gdngrs.com Greenwich and District Narrow Gauge Railway Society
- visit http://expong.org Expo Narrow Gauge

dunnyrail
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: G Scale and 0 Scale

Postby dunnyrail » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:44 am

[quote="Boghopper"]I love your quayside JonD. On of my many "dream" layouts was to be an inglenook on a quayside with either a Captain Pugwash theme, complete with a model of The Black Pig, or Tintin figures. Perhaps one day...

Look forward to seeing your progress.[/quote]

Chris, sorry this is not my work, it is all by

Ian-Iom

Re me posting pics, yes many thanks did find the link of how to, unfortunately I do nit have any way of doing a link yet to a wabb site. Did use a free foto site for a while but operation of it was a total pain and it went by the wall. Many lost complete collections as they were using it as an online "cloud" type storage device.
JonD

JonD
JonD aka Dunnyrail

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:16 pm

Welcome aboard Jon,

The point lever in the piccy is just a dummy, the working gubbins is hidden underneath. I used wire pushrods and a SPDT switch to direct the electrickery to the right places, there is a piccy earlier on this thread.

With regard to posting pictures, you don't have to use an external photo hosting site - you can upload to my.gn15.info, there are instructions at http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=3089
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:50 pm

Still pottering on, just a bit on the slow side recently. I really ought to get on with this, it's taken almost two years so far :oops:

Anyhoo, I've done a bit of weathering on the jetty and tidied up a few unfinished bits but nothing that warrents a piccy really. Next major bit I'm tackling is the sea area - the tide is out and I've started on some exposed rock, just a grey lumpy thing at the moment, and will be adding a bit of mud/sand and then some water using Bob's pva method.

So, with sand I need some shells, and this afternoon I've been playing with Fimo:
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:58 am

Nice wagon Ian :lol:
:oops: Sea shells are not bad either :wink:
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Bob Roegge
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 modeler

Postby Bob Roegge » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:26 pm

The shells and starfish are great. I can small the ocean just looking at them.
Bob

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:21 pm

Thanks folks,

A bit more progress:

Rocks are crumpled newspaper covered with a paint/polyfilla mix and the sand is sand from the beach (I know you’re not meant to take sand from beaches but it was just a pocketful).

The seaweed is bits of a fake plant sold for aquarium use, it was a rather lurid green but repainted with acrylics it looks more natural.

I think I got a bit carried away making the shells - the smaller ones I could hardly see never mind glue in place, so I've just used the bigger ones :roll:
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:26 pm

Excellent.

Just needs a small child crying inconsolably while his dog licks up a dropped ice-cream cone to complete the seaside atmosphere. :P

Cross Kitter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G Scale

Postby Cross Kitter » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:46 pm

Blackcloud Railways wrote:Excellent.

Just needs a small child crying inconsolably while his dog licks up a dropped ice-cream cone to complete the seaside atmosphere. :P

Or if you're in St Ives, Cornwall a couple of swooping seaguls to rip the pasty out of your hand (or is that the greedy government with their 'Pasty Tax') :evil: :twisted: :shock: :roll:

Looking really good, I can almost smell the rotting seaweed, knew I should have shut the kitchen window. :lol:
Simon the "not at all cross"-kitter.
I'm looking for that decrepit look. What, I just need to look in the mirror?

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:28 am

Very realistic Ian and a great idea to use the dried aquarium plants as seaweed, will be filing that one away for the future.
One suggestion I would make, would to pile a little sand up against the base of the wall below the ladder. It would lose the dark line between the blocks of stone and bed it in better.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks all :D ,

Steve Bennett wrote:One suggestion I would make, would to pile a little sand up against the base of the wall below the ladder. It would lose the dark line between the blocks of stone and bed it in better.

There's an even bigger gap hidden behind the rocks, that's why the photo was taken from low down :oops: . I will build up the sand a bit more to reduce it but the wall has to be removable so I can't lose the gap completely, perhaps a bit of seaweed could mask the join...

btw, you're right Steve - it is a dried natural product I used for the seaweed, not plastic, but it had been died a very unnatural looking bright green.

p.s. Simon, I suppose if I was exhibiting I could hide a bucket of rotting seaweed under the table to add a bit of atmosphere, might not be too popular though :( (Actually I quite like the smell - probably because I've lived near the sea most of my life, sort of smells like home :roll: )
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:12 pm

Ian-IoM wrote:There's an even bigger gap hidden behind the rocks, that's why the photo was taken from low down :oops: . I will build up the sand a bit more to reduce it but the wall has to be removable so I can't lose the gap completely, perhaps a bit of seaweed could mask the join...

Ah, had forgotten that the wall comes out to close the case. Scratch that idea then, yours of using the seaweed instead would be a much better option.

btw, you're right Steve - it is a dried natural product I used for the seaweed, not plastic, but it had been died a very unnatural looking bright green.

:lol: Yes they do dye it some rather strange colours :roll:
If I remember correctly, it is some kind of fern that is dried and treated with glycerine. Has been a long time since I kept fish, so the tired old memory may be wrong on that :lol:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Ian-IoM » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:35 pm

‘lo folks,

A few days short of this thread's second birthday and there’s still bare wood showing :oops: Must try harder :roll:

Um, anyway, I need a bit of wall to fill in the gap at the back. First idea is egg box stone…
Yuk, don’t like that, too big and blocky, looks like a retaining wall.
How about a brick wall? Bricks cut from reclaimed card and stuck on a base of laminated card with a few different levels and a bit of a play with bond patterns:
Just propped in place and needs painting etc, but it looks more promising...
Ian K

Be seeing you...

Return to “Modelling Matters”