Advice for couplings extending far beyond a wheelbase?

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Moronguhl
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 09 industrial diesel and battery locos, and track to run them on!

Advice for couplings extending far beyond a wheelbase?

Postby Moronguhl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:05 am

Hi folks, happy Friday!!

I'm working on an O9 loco which is going to be a cross between Steve's Gn15 Midge, the Hawe trolley prototype and a mining loco, and the driver's cab is going to be a fair distance beyond the wheelbase at one end (a bit like this http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x19/wcgreene/batteryloco.jpg).

Has anyone had coupling problems with this sort of loco? A lot of layouts on the Gnatterbox box obviously have very tight corners and I can only imagine that couplings that are a fair distance from the wheelbase risk uncoupling or de-railing wagons around tight curves (we're talking about 4" radius in my O9 setup).

Any idea of suitable remedies?

Cheers all
Christian Summers

We're gonna need a little rolling stock...and a lot of luck!

I used to have a project link here until the thread was deleted... :(

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Re: Advice for couplings extending far beyond a wheelbase?

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:03 pm

Moronguhl wrote: A lot of layouts on the Gnatterbox box obviously have very tight corners and I can only imagine that couplings that are a fair distance from the wheelbase risk uncoupling or de-railing wagons around tight curves (we're talking about 4" radius in my O9 setup).

Any idea of suitable remedies?

Cheers all

Yes Christian, if you use KD's together with a rooster you can have the KD coupler outside the track without anything derailing.
I've used this successfully at numerous shows on Secciole Salina where one Loco has a horrendous overhang.
The articulation of the KD seems to prevent lateral forces derailing the rolling stock.
Whether this would work using link & pin I know not!
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Moronguhl
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 09 industrial diesel and battery locos, and track to run them on!

Re: Advice for couplings extending far beyond a wheelbase?

Postby Moronguhl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:24 pm

Gerry Bullock wrote:Yes Christian, if you use KD's together with a rooster you can have the KD coupler outside the track without anything derailing.
I've used this successfully at numerous shows on Secciole Salina where one Loco has a horrendous overhang.
The articulation of the KD seems to prevent lateral forces derailing the rolling stock.
Whether this would work using link & pin I know not!

Hmmm, sounds feasible but I am planning to use DG couplings!

Maybe I could have some sort of 'conversion' wagon, with a link and pin at one end attached to the loco and a DG at t'other? Of course the other options are:

1) Only use the loco in one direction, therefore only requiring a coupling at the more sensible end of the loco.
2) Don't use it on the ridiculously tight curve (of which there is only 1).
3) Stop worrying about it until it becomes a problem!

Btw Gerry I think I saw Secciole Salina at Brighton Model World? I wasn't on the Gnatterbox then, but Steve Bennet mentioned you'd be there in an email. I think you were away from the layout when I got there though, the layout was being operated by a couple of other chaps running the odd Thomas the Tank loco round the layout!
Christian Summers

We're gonna need a little rolling stock...and a lot of luck!

I used to have a project link here until the thread was deleted... :(

teetrix
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow Gauge in H0 and 0n30/0f

Postby teetrix » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:39 am

Christian,

maybe this is interesting for you:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/procouplings.html

http://www.kostenloses-forum.com/board/ ... ,2058.html
(german, but much self-explaining images)

Michael

Return to “Modelling Matters”