The Top yard! - Gn15 [1/24]

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:05 pm

Steve .......... a belated thank you for your input, I've since managed to create enough clearance but it still struggles to make steady progress. It's one of those jobs that's going to take a lot of niggly fettling me suspects?

And the reason for opening this thread after such a time ........... A silly update on nothing special. Just though I'd pre-empt the potential "how did you do that" post!! Although unlikely, but the camera was close to hand so whilst tiffling about I took a couple of shots.

So Ladies ................... Stones!!!!

Nothing special as mentioned but I'm hoping they'll look OK once they've been planted? Came about really because I hadn't put the lid on my filler tin particularly well and it had dried out somewhat. Rather than waste it I'd already been rolling excess Milliput and suchlike into stone shaped balls and was going to use them as detailing bits as and when I accumulated enough.
Finding the filler dried out just gave me the opportunity to make stones on an industrial scale.
Picture should be self explanatory? - Take small hunk of filler - add small dollop of hardener and after mixing just tear off little pieces and roll into bogey shaped balls with a little squeeze at the end to flatten them slightly - drop them into a dish of talcum powder and "swizz" around till they are fully coated. This smooths out the surface and takes any "sticky" off of them.
Easy peasy really ............. not sure if anyone would do this on purpose but it might put the notion into someone's head enough to start there own collection of stones!!

I included this pic' for a scale comparison but its subject to such foreshortening that it looks all wrong and they appear -waaay- to big.
They're not that bad at all and remember there going to be buried by half into an earth surface.
KBO .......................... Andi.

ian_g_griffiths
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Railway modelling

Postby ian_g_griffiths » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:22 pm

That rocks!!! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

Ian

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:38 pm

What would happen if you added powdered colours to the talc mix? I use concrete oxides - that should work.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

PeterH
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Railway history, drinking beer

Postby PeterH » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:08 am

Little Andi. wrote:Image

Simple & effective. But those two lads look a bit stoned. Are you sure that was talc you dipped them in ?
Peter

trefor
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: I am interested in railways generally. I have started making a layout, sort of 15" or possibly 18" gaugeish

Postby trefor » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:11 am

Take small hunk of filler - add small dollop of hardener and after mixing just tear off little pieces and roll into bogey shaped balls with a little squeeze at the end to flatten them slightly - drop them into a dish of talcum powder and "swizz" around till they are fully coated. This smooths out the surface and takes any "sticky" off of them.
Easy peasy really ............. not sure if anyone would do this on purpose but it might put the notion into someone's head enough to start there own collection of stones!!

Uhm it put the notion into my head, I need cobbles for new members new layout. I'm wondering if having made the 'cobbles' I could cut them in half so as not to have to bury them to deep and also to make them go further.

I feel an experiment coming on. :)
Trefor

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:42 pm

Just to keep things rockin' along, any updates before we hit the new number?
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:11 am

OMG - that is really worrying! ... I knew I hadn't posted anything recently but that's a whole year ago!!! I'm so sorry everyone: It's been a tough year one way and another but that does shame me into at least making some kind of effort?
So, my new years resolution is made for me then - MAKE some time to do the things I want to do - it's not like I haven't missed the bench either. Even Gordon's been making noises in my ear these last few days about cracking on again.

I'm playing on the bench at the minute [just a bit of something to get the juices flowing again] nothing that could be posted here really: Blether perhaps??? but even that's a bit tenuous.

I'll make the effort I promise I will ....... soz' chaps.
KBO .......................... Andi.

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:23 am

Ya know you could jus' pour some stain over th' rocks and that would constitute an update :wink:
Regards Michael

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:28 am

Or move them about into a new container.
Regards Michael

Return to “Modelling Matters”