The Top yard! - Gn15 [1/24]

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:34 pm

Hi all..............

Just a quick post really to let people know I'm still around, and I'm still doing at bit on the "Top Yard".
Things are running a bit slow as most of the time is taken up with pre-empting my own thinking somewhat. In as much as I'm trying to work out a simple system for mounting and demounting the buildings and such from the layout - not as simple as it first appeared as I'm having to base decisions on other assembly's that haven't even been built yet, or there positions been determined - I suppose this is why some folk plan ahead??

Anyway - here's a bit of an update on the Estate managers office [nee Santo's].
I've laid down the base and covered with "flag's", you can't tell from this but there are several different textures and a lot of fine detailing like wear along the sides where trucks and machinery has scored and ground at the kerbs, I've tried to tilt various slabs as well to show an age of weight that's been allowed to rest or pass over them.

I'm hoping! - or intending that the paint and finish should bring this out to greater effect?

In this shot you can see the side of the "office" that leads to the outer gate, the large post up the side of the office steps will carry a gate that limits any line of sight to the rear of the layout. The arch beyond allows the return rail of the loop to pass through - and the further half arch is a bit of "pinched" scenery that will extend beyond the layout in order that the building reads as much deeper than it physically is!!?

This will enable the use of the gable door to carry an aerial walkway further to disguise the rear of the layout of it's obvious dimensions....................... Sort of "Smoke and Mirrors" if you please.
The rendering is again textured paper over, with the bricks engraved straight into the MDF wall under. With the buildings being demountable weight isn't so much of an issue and so this provides a rock-steady "Mating" surface for assembling the other buildings against.

More as I get it done........................
KBO .......................... Andi.

Moronguhl
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 09 industrial diesel and battery locos, and track to run them on!

Postby Moronguhl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:59 pm

Wow Andi, that looks amazing! I particularly like the tiles on the top step/entrance way and the lead flashing on the porch roof, looks great. So all those bricks are done with inscribed paper? I've always ignored paper techniques but that looks excellent!

Are they just textures you found around the web or home made?
Christian Summers

We're gonna need a little rolling stock...and a lot of luck!

I used to have a project link here until the thread was deleted... :(

Ken Hamilton
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 1/2" scale Narrow Gauge, 1/25th-scale model cars; Writing; Photography; Hots Rods

Postby Ken Hamilton » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:06 pm

Looking good, Andi!
Hey, if you don't post these pics on the B&D car forum, I'm going
to steal them and post them myself. The boys over there miss you
and they'd love to see this update.

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Models of all sorts boats, planes and now G15

Postby gfadvance » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:09 pm

Well Andi glad I looked in!

Looks good , as I would expect, and do like the pavement which will add even more character and act as a good solid mounting.

You do always come up with origonal thinking and the "aerial walkway" is no exception, I am looking forward to seeing it move from your imagination to reality.

Progress on the Bottom Yard is moving forward albeit slowly, slowly.
Gordon F

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Funky narrow gauge equipment!

Postby Dallas_M » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:05 am

Andi --

Beautiful work! Glad to see this one back in the works and looking forward to more ... :shock: ... (see, eyes are bugged out in anticipation!)
Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas Mallerich
Boulder Valley Models
www.bouldervalleymodels.com

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:05 am

Really fine work Andi, the bricks are outstanding! or should that be instanding :wink:.

Don't let the second guessing yourself bog you down too much. You can always do a bit of "road works" to rejig something.

The road guys do it all the time(tough on suspensions though.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:41 pm

Kerrr - riky!

Has it really been this long since an update??

I do apologise, real life has been a total Madam this last year or so, so please allow me to beg your forgivenesses.

Unfortunately the update is rather small by nature, but does contain some considerable angst in as much as it required some deep thinking to get to this simple answer.
And by answer I mean the methodology for the paving for the drive and other surfaces around the Top Yard.

Sneak preview in the raw then................

As can be seen I really wanted to get the random nature of the various "hand hewn" sets, stone infill's and assorted wear and repair.
The undulations are important as they help I think to give a provenance to the the drive - it looks used in other words - and I think should carry a certain dignity?
This particular part of the drive drops about a scale ten inches, and I've left the top unfinished to show the "building" of it, and then "grouted" the bottom section to give you a more finished look. Obviously all to be painted and dressed, but overall I quite like the idea and it does show potential.

Cheers chaps................

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:00 pm

Gnice to see you back Andi, your postings have been missed - real life does have to take priority sometimes though.

It may be a small update on the Top Yard but it's certainly looking promising with a nice irregular look to the sets, and I particularly like the undulations - it gives a nice impression of age and the ground sinking with years of use 8) .

(Ummm, it also makes me think a similar surface would look good on my quayside - I'll be watching with interest :wink: )
Ian K
Be seeing you...

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi Andi,

Your work is as exceptional as ever.
Please keep showing your photos regardless of how little work you may think you have done. They are always great to look at.

One thing that did grab my eye was the distance between the rail and the edge of the raised curb. I see that you have a little wagon on the track, (which I assume that you are using to check for clearances). Be aware that this wagon is very narrow compared to the overhang on some locos.
I'm not sure if you have a loco yet to be able to test. If you don't I would allow about 40mm across (20mm either side of track centre line) as the width a loco might take. I think the Bachmann gas mechanical is getting close to that.

Keep up the good work!

Glen.

PeterH
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Railway history, drinking beer

Postby PeterH » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:26 am

Gneice to see you posting again Andi. Provenance ? Dignity ? In spades.
Peter

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:01 am

G'day Andi

Welcome back ...... although your posts do make me realise that my modelling is not as good as I would like it to be :oops:

I am really impressed with the paving, it looks really 'real'. What did you make the stones from ?
I am assuming that you didn't cheat and buy them ready-made ?

I do have a liking for 'inset track' and yours looks as though it will be fantastic when finished and painted.
Its just a pity that it is not possible to buy channel rail (like tramway track) in the smaller scales. That would look really good with those sets.

Keep up the good work
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:39 am

As I would expect Andi, looks good.

The undulations are important

A previous carved attempt:-

Interesting looking at the 2 photos, yours certainly looks better as individual setts allows far more flexibility as regards size, etc. So as we discussed a few weeks/months? ago individual setts are the way to go.

I have laid about 10sq inches, only about xxx sq inches to go ... its not the most exciting work is it? Interestingly although the same thoughts and ultilmate aims it looks like we are using 2 different techniques and materials.

Keep posting.
Gordon F

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:45 am

Sorry forgot to add;-

love the colour on the kerb stones and the paving looks just about perfect.
Oh and the height change along the kerb between it and the setts is nice and add both realism & character.
Gordon F

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Funky narrow gauge equipment!

Postby Dallas_M » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:39 pm

Andi --

I'm often a very slow modeler myself and occasionally find that there's a real benefit to allowing ideas to "stew" for a while ... the new stonework and surroundings look wonderful! Beautiful textures ... thoroughly enjoying this build ... no matter how long it takes. :D
Cheers,

Dallas

Dallas Mallerich

Boulder Valley Models

www.bouldervalleymodels.com

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:16 am

Hi Andi,

Glad to see you're still at it :D The layout is coming together Gnicely. It's good to take your time and potter away as time allows.
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:29 pm

Hi Andi,
Setts are looking good however picking up on Glen's comment ( been there done that) there is another problem that you'll find once you power a Loco along the track. :cry:
The Setts adjacent to track look proud of rail head which is likely to result in wheels lifting as running surface of wheels can often be outside of rail edge. Again been there and done that with an area of concrete laid adjacent to track. That layout is now with Barry, without the aforesaid problem. :wink:
In the days of tramways in sett streets - long gone in the UK, the setts would often be proud of rail head resulting in tram wheels riding up on edge of the setts, however as power was not effected only the ride suffered, such as it was :!:
Remember riding these trams in my Uni days in Leeds and falling (literally) foul of the tram lines when using my pushbike. :oops:
Last edited by Gerry Bullock on Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Carlo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: figures, microlayouts

Postby Carlo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:22 pm

Andi -
Beautiful work on the cobblestones (sets?). However, the individual stones look a bit large to my eye. I don't have knowledge of English practice, or any prototype data to back up my statement, just my observation.
Carlo

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:53 pm

Carlo wrote:Andi -
Beautiful work on the cobblestones (sets?). However, the individual stones look a bit large to my eye. I don't have knowledge of English practice, or any prototype data to back up my statement, just my observation.
Carlo

Hi Carlo,
I previously mis-described Andi's setts as cobbles which I've now corrected.
If you look here: http://www.pavingexpert.com/setts01.htm
You'll find that setts can be upto 300mm in length and for that matter width though generally I would say that a sett would be L=2W. That certainly is the size of 1/24 scale setts that I've bought in the past rather than carving them as Andi has.
The bought ones can never have the random/worn appearance created by carving.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.

http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Hi all............

Wow........... thanks for all your interest, it's pleasing to see you all so readily take it on board - thanks again.

I'll try and address some of the questions and issues raised.

Adrian............ One of the things that was most important was to be able to make up for the lack of speed or productivity with one of ease and flexibility - sort of a mental/creative trade off if you will.

The Set's are in fact made from Balsa!!!! - I know I know? But if you're ever in a situation where you can really look at the balsa in your local hobby shop, notice the stuff that's left behind by the aero modellers. It's very dense, quite hard - yet close grained and very light [comparatively speaking].
Now in order to justify any errant grain that might be visible? My muse dictates that this is a locally sourced and masoned material. A sedimentary rock that carries a grain, is easily worked and lends itself well to both initial dressing and later repair. It is much softer than granite of course but when laid [possibly up to two centuries previously] it only had to contend with light farm and foot traffic.
This hopefully explains why it's basic dimensions are a scale foot long by five inches broad and deep. Because of timely repairs and it's easily worked nature there's a good variance of sizes and lack of regularity in it's make-up. Along with the broader edging stones and the smaller "nut's" around the paving radius I was going for a good visual as opposed to pure prototypicality
Having said that, I could probably, with a little grace; find solid reference and proof of the style - in truth I've often walked this kind of surface both locally here in the Midlands and Norfolk/Suffolk too.
I don't think its too much of a leap of faith to see this as a local solution to an even more local problem [read all the above with a conversational aire]

Carlo.............. I understand what you mean about the scale - I thought about it a lot before committing myself [see explanation above] and I agree at the moment it seems a bit of a caricature of itself.
But! - I'm telling myself to hold fast, and to trust my thinking [gulp!]
I think perhaps also the fact that the bulk of the drive has yet to be grouted showing the depth of the sets is crediting them with more bulk than they deserve. Once the gaps are filled and only the "heads" of the individual setts are visible they should all settle down a bit??
They are being grouted with "lightweight" filler btw, and this has the added bonus of being pushed into the grain and "case hardens" the setts - not that much that a bit of judicious shaping can't take place should it be required.

I'm hoping to place several surfaces around the Top Yard so this shouldn't be it by any means? - Having said that despite all my thinking I'm still pretty much winging it - bear with me.

PS - Clearances and Tolerances are duly noted and are being put on the "Run round waving hands in the air" list as we speak.

Thanks all for your interest and input - always very much appreciated

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:11 pm

G'day Andi

Would never have thought that the setts were balsa :!:
Das, modelling clay or resin ....yes. But not balsa.
I have used balsa in a similar way a number of times but have never been able to get rid of the grain but then I have always used the softer stuff.

I like the reasoning to explain the 'grain' that does show ..... If there is something not quite right invent a story to explain it :!:

Thanks for the explanation ..... I have a current project that can make use of the information right now.

Thank you
Adrian Hoad

I might be daft but not stupid.

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Gnine

Postby demaine22 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:05 am

cracking looking work :)

Nice one Andi, I like your wiring work, I'll take a photo of the underside of my layout one day, and you'll feel much better with your efforts trust me!
Playing around and modelling:
http://nookyworks.wordpress.com/

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:58 pm

Looking cracking Andi!

Now if my memory serves correct there where a number of prototype installations were hardwood "sets" were used, possibly in expolsive plants, mutions works etc. Or around inset point work.?
Maybe in the "posher" parts of towns to keep the noise of horses hoofs down??Now I've sown the "seed" as it were I guess someone will point to a link?

Keep at it Andi.......................
Trevor
Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

gfadvance
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby gfadvance » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:04 am

So its "balsa" must make a note! ....... only kidding :)

I'm using blue foam
Gordon F

MT Hopper
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 18" and 20"gauge RR

Postby MT Hopper » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:18 pm

A question, Andi. So are the bricks in fact embossed or individual ala Roye England? "The rendering is again textured paper over, with the bricks engraved straight into the MDF wall under" I get the impression that perhaps the plaster stucco part is textured paper and the bricks are directly embossed into the underlying MDF? Which is different from the technique on page 3. At any rate I think the work is, to quote my off spring, really sweet ( which I gather has replaced cool).
If embossed what implement do you use for embossing?
The carved work by Gordon is not too shabby either!
All right since I have quit my multi year lurking here I shall expose myself as the newbie I am. Will a simple coat of Polyfilla or perhaps Gesso over some embossed bricks be adequate to simulate south american stucco or is the texture too fine for 24th scale?
Inquiring minds want to know .... simple minds like mine go...What!?
Cheers from the Heart of the Continent
Will
Cheers from the Heart of the Continent
Will

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Little Andi. » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:58 am

Hi Will...............

Thanks for the props!

[See what I did there - I'm talking to you in your own language -I hope?]

Just kidding.......... But to answer your questions, you've read it about right. On the gable end of the Estate Office, it is indeed Textured paper directly over the MDF, which has in turn been engraved with a matching brick pattern - this so I didn't fall foul of an overlap edge created by brick [chads] meeting the paper render coming the other way. It was a bit of a pain engraving the MDF and I wouldn't recommend it as a technique...... but as a "get out of jail free card" - it served it's purpose.

Your Polyfilla/Gesso idea should work IMHO. But it might be a bit difficult to get the random texture you're after?? - this is why I went with the W/C paper - easy to cover large areas and you get to see the finish beforehand. I've finished that area myself now - I'll try and get some pic's up for you.

Cheers for now..................

Return to “Modelling Matters”