MG & FT Bachmann Emily Conversion the 'Neptune'

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

MG & FT Bachmann Emily Conversion the 'Neptune'

Postby Mark Goodwin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:20 pm

With the recent introduction of a moderately priced Bachmann "Emily" 4-2-2 large single, I decided to attempt a GN15 conversion for the MG & FT based on Roland Emett's "Neptune". Not quite the full "Emett" treatment, but still with some degree of "Whimsey" in the true "Much Gnattering and Far Twaddle Light Railway" style.

The first picture shows a plan compared against Emily.

The next picture shows the modified body to meet Smallbrook standards to ensure compatability. Note that the cylinders have been enlarged.

The next picture shows the boiler. The smokebox door comes from a Chinese Hornby gresley Pacific. The boiler is built to represent wooden lagging as used during the Victorian period. The rivets are pin heads.

The final picture of this series shows the work so far. Mike Rayner of Smallbrook Studios has recently released a GN15 Station lamp and one of the castings makes an ornate sort of Victorian chimney. Come to think of it, when the large driving wheel splash covers are added, the loco will look a little bit like a Crampton. Please be advised that this engine is for non-stop express duties between Much Gnattering and Far Twaddle. Work has yet to be started on the tender. The next phase will be the firebox, cab sides and then wheel splashers. Finally, the engine will be named "Patrick Taylor" , after my brother-in-law and friend who passed away recently.

Kind regards
Mark

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:52 am

Nice work on the styrene, Mark. 8)

Especially the complex curved shape at the bottom of the funnel.

The pin heads make great rivets, don't they?
I had someone in the smaller scales ask me if I had a tool for making rivets (I think he was hoping to sell me one).
I said I don't need one; I use pin heads.
He just looked at me strangely.

Any tool out there could never punch the high profile needed for G scale, without distorting the rest of the sheet in such a small piece of work.

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:29 am

Like that alot 8)

Simon.

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:32 pm

The following pictures show the work so far on my Emett style Bachmann "Emily" conversion.

The above photo shows the bulk of the loco complete, with small finishing touches such as handrails, filling in of gaps (cylinders) and the addition of a few more rivets - plus the cab needs detailing.

This close up shows the decoration of the splasher and its relationship with the cab side. There is a lot of room for some small embellishments and further decoration to maintain the nautical theme. I start work on the tender soon.

Kind regards
Mark :D

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:21 am

Chimney construction......I wanted to give a degree of Emett Whimsey to my Neptune class and decided that the top of the chimney could do with some Stephnson's Rocket type of embellishment.

This was achieved using some "Scalelink" 7mm scale GWR station valancing. The top of Mike Ryaner's casting is an octagon, that measured almost the exact length of two valance points - and with a half etch to make bending easier. It turned out that the size was just too small to go around the outside, but perfect to sit on top. The previously fitted capuchon was removed so as not to overcrowd the chimney.

3/4 profile showing the result when attached to the smokebox and general proportions of the loco.

This final view of this series shows the unconverted tender. This will require raising from the chassis and the construction of a new body - making room along the sides for some of mikes "Hector" spring castings.

jameswaterfield
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: full size minimum gauge

Postby jameswaterfield » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:27 pm

Brilliant Mark!
James Waterfield

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:38 pm

Tender progress......

This image shows the method of extension on the tender to give Driver Firestone somewhere to move and to bring the model into proportion.

Sideframes required to fill the gap and to bring the tender to the required height in line with the Smallbrook Studios (Mike Rayner) Nellie range (GN15) as used on the MG & FT.

Tender with a little bit of detailing - the springs, cab sides, cab spectacle plate, whistle and buffer beams were all kindly supplied by Mike Rayner.
Cab steps, some more rivet detail and other little bits require adding.

Final view - loco and tender in proportion.

Kind regards
Mark

Geno6309
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: NG,Sports Cars,Anything with 'fiddly bits' inside

Postby Geno6309 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:14 pm

It's gonna be a thing of beauty :D
"I'm not building a model of a railroad. I'm building a caricature of one." Bill Livingston, Venango Valley RR, RMC 1971
Words to live by.
Gene Walker
www.fcdetc.blogspot.com

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:34 pm

Gene,

.......or maybe a labour of love :D . I must get hold of some Grandt Line rivets rather than using pins as I have done so here.
Kind regards
Mark

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:29 am

Love the lines and overall proportions Mark, those beautiful little details ooze class.
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:13 pm

Dave and Gene,

Thanks for the feedback. Dave, I like what you have achieved with "Critter's Cafe" and I agree with you that its the detail that counts. I suppose part of the fun with our hobby is coming up with solutions to design questions - as demonstrated in the use of everyday items to "morph" into miniature drills, tresle tables and old oil cans - truly inspiring ! :D :shock:
Kind regards and best wishes,
Mark

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:59 pm

Nice work.
I bet you are looking forward to painting it now.

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:28 pm

Glen,

Painting will be, shall we say....interesting. I don't have a problem with dealing with the wooden boiler banding, but it's the main colour scheme, the means of highligting the "waves" along the body just above the wheels, whether a white/pale colour chimney/wheel splasher will work or not, should I keep the green wheels........oooohhh decisions.. :shock: decisions :roll:

Still I like a challenge :shock: :? :D

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:07 pm

The final picture with added detail prior to priming and painting..

Just above the cylinder is an anchor in keeping with the nautical theme, and also a ships wheel (half) in the middle of the wheel splasher to add a little bit extra. These white metal items were found in craft shop for the princely some of £1 (with a sail boat and fish as well). The tender has had the "MG & FT" lettering added, together with a water filler cap, fire iron brackets/supports, and some hand rails to round it all off.

Now comes the hard part.......painting. :oops:

The view below shows the comparison in sizes between a "Hector" class and "Neptune" - a matter of 2". Should fit onto the Peco ON30 turntable with ease......... :)

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:30 pm

Really beautiful touches added, love the anchor :D
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

Tomo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 and Micro Layouts

Postby Tomo » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:08 am

It appears to be a fabulous locomotive you've built. I'm quite sure it should be a delight for you to paint!

Pandy
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: most things narrow gauge

Postby Pandy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:16 pm

Mark, congratulations on a wonderful locomotive ! those splashers really do seem to shout "paddle steamer !" at us, the wave effect along the frames is wonderfully quirky and as for the half ship's wheels and anchor, brilliant ! love it ! really looking forward to seeing the results of the paint shop, keep up the great work, well done ! :) :)
Dave & Lorraine, more ideas than space, time & finance permit !

bluey1989
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby bluey1989 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:25 pm

Really having to behave after seeing Marks locos and little layout develop over time.

I could easily get in to building these.

Awesome models mark, I am looking forward to the painting of this loco and see what else is in the pipeline...

Keep up the good work Mark

Andy

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:55 pm

Mark a delicious model!! I want one :shock:
I looked at that donor loco just the other day but could not get my hand into my pocket, because that other chap inside my head told me off. :cry:

I am looking forward to seeing it painted.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Pandy
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: most things narrow gauge

Postby Pandy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:31 pm

I have to admit I really like the effect produced by the mis-use of the etched GWR valancing, must put that in the "stolen ideas" file :) it really has worked very very well, and that's just in the raw state ! :)
Dave & Lorraine, more ideas than space, time & finance permit !

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:46 pm

Mike, Andy, Dave and Lorraine.

Painting is complete but I have to varnish and then add the little details before placing in the forum. Not helped with some internet connection problems, but now resolved. Photos in about 24-48 hrs. Thanks for the feedback,
kindregards and best wishes,
Mark

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:18 pm

Well, I couldn't wait any longer........

This view shows the side profile. The Station Master at "Far Twaddle" is so impressed with the non stop express run from "Much Gnattering" that he had to climb on the footplate and get a feel of the big new single driver. His watch and timetable confirm the speed. Driver Firestone has made off for a well deserved cup of strong sweet tea. This first engine of the "Neptune" class is named "Patrick" in memory of a recently departed friend.

3/4 rear profile. Whistle chain and further copper piping, together with a pair of sight glasses await final fitting.

Top view showing the fire irons set and healthy head of steam remaining in the boiler. Certainly enough for a light engine run back to Chipping Clinker for a clean and oil round.

The initial Bachmann Emily that started it all.
Kind regards and best wishes,
Mark

skylon
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Light railways

Postby skylon » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:33 pm

Fantastic modelling, your painting is right on the money.
Thanks,
Sam

Little Andi.
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Interested in Narrow gauge modelling within a dioramic context.

Postby Little Andi. » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:45 pm

Two thumbs up from me!..........

I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea? - But, it's never the less a stupendous piece of modelling. it's not the easiest thing to be in overall charge of the design and execution of a piece of modelling like this. It takes much forethought and the courage to take it all apart if it doesn't come out the way it should - or as it looks in your head.

So, no simple task then, and one that should be much lauded and applauded --- VERY WELL DONE THAT MAN!
KBO .......................... Andi.

Geno6309
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: NG,Sports Cars,Anything with 'fiddly bits' inside

Postby Geno6309 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:00 pm

I've stolen the first painted picture to use as desk top art. I was right, for a change, it is a thing of beauty.
Job well done!
"I'm not building a model of a railroad. I'm building a caricature of one." Bill Livingston, Venango Valley RR, RMC 1971

Words to live by.

Gene Walker

www.fcdetc.blogspot.com

Return to “Modelling Matters”