Smith's dream - a short bush tram layout

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:51 am

If I do as Murray says I will be eating the layout in no time flat, as it stands now I`m off to have a snack just from reading the post! :twisted:
I saved (and dried) tea bags and use the loose tea if I want dark ground cover, fence lines, building walls but I find it to dark for general use. I really do try to keep pictures though, so I am copying the real thing and not what I think it looks like.
I gotta say, you have made a great start, now relax and experiment.
Scott B

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:15 am

PeterH wrote:
Glen A wrote:the extension on to the next module! :twisted: :lol:

Did Picasso paint the Mona Lisa with an extension to a near-by painting ??

Ah! So that's why everyone thinks her eyes follow you around the room. She is actually looking for the extension painting that Picasso was too damn lazy to paint. You should learn from Picasso's mistake and start an extension module right away! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously; your scenery is looking really great. And I'm sure that it looks even better in real life.
Once you put a few bigger bushes or ferns or trees in, they will grab your eye and the ground cover you have got now will just blend into the background.

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:59 am

Glen A wrote:
PeterH wrote:
Glen A wrote:the extension on to the next module! :twisted: :lol:

Did Picasso paint the Mona Lisa with an extension to a near-by painting ??

Ah! So that's why everyone thinks her eyes follow you around the room. She is actually looking for the extension painting that Picasso was too damn lazy to paint. :lol: :lol: :lol:

... or the real one painted by Leonardo De Vinci
:wink:

The scenery looks great Peter, just keep on gnoing with it.
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

Imagineering
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: On30, Gn15, HO, N & T

Postby Imagineering » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:23 pm

scott b wrote:If I do as Murray says I will be eating the layout in no time flat, as it stands now I`m off to have a snack just from reading the post! :twisted:

Gnow you Gnow why some Layouts are called Pizzas.
Jamie Oliver - eat your heart out . . .

scott b wrote:I saved (and dried) tea bags and use the loose tea if I want dark ground cover, fence lines, building walls but I find it too dark for general use. I really do try to keep pictures though, so I am copying the real thing and not what I think it looks like.

The RooiBos Tea needs to be Brewed first then the bags squeezed before drying. Otherwise the Tea leaches into the groundWorks. RooiBos gives a light coloured Leaf Litter effect, Better IMHO than standard India/China Tea.

If you're flying Air NZ sometime, keep the little Stirring Spoons that you get with your Coffee. They are great for depositing small amounts of Material under Trees & bushes.

Murray..
Last edited by Imagineering on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Murray McKenzie

Modelling 1/2 Scale Gn15

"Every day I count wasted, in which there have been no trains". -- Nietzsche, (almost)

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:31 pm

scott b wrote:...and use the loose tea if I want dark ground cover, fence lines, building walls but I find it to dark for general use.

1. Put a handful of dried tea in a small tub.

2. Add a gloop of emulsion paint (colour of your choice) and stir until all the paint has been absorbed, if there's too much paint add more tea, if it's still too dark when all the paint is absorbed add more paint.

3. Spread on a sheet of newspaper to dry and you'll have foliage or ground cover to suit most uses.

Not my idea, there's a guy called George Nutter who demonstrates his scenic techniques at exhibitions. I didn't believe it would work until he showed me.

MT Hopper
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 18" and 20"gauge RR

Postby MT Hopper » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:23 pm

Two questions. Is emulsion paint an oil or alkyd based paint? If I used dilute latex paint would it help preserve the tea and or spices?

Cheers from the Heart of North America
Will
Cheers from the Heart of the Continent
Will

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:51 pm

Emulsion paint is the stuff we paint interior walls with, not sure if you have a different name for it on your side of the pond. It's water soluble so definitely not oil based.

Cannot offer much comment on the preservation qualities, I would have thought that any paint will seal whatever it's applied to but suppose a lot of it is down to the environment which the layout is kept in. Do you have humidity problems that affect other organic layout materials such as paper or wood?

Imagineering
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: On30, Gn15, HO, N & T

Postby Imagineering » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:04 pm

Blackcloud Railways wrote:Emulsion paint is the stuff we paint interior walls with, not sure if you have a different name for it on your side of the pond. It's water soluble so definitely not oil based.

From your description, it is know as an 'Acrylic' everywhere else but the US.

Murray McKenzie

Modelling 1/2 Scale Gn15

"Every day I count wasted, in which there have been no trains". -- Nietzsche, (almost)

MT Hopper
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 18" and 20"gauge RR

Postby MT Hopper » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:07 am

Thank you for the replies. Sounds as if it might be what we call Latex paint in North America. Its' used to paint walls and model scenery.
Thanks.
Cheers
Will
Cheers from the Heart of the Continent

Will

PeterH
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Railway history, drinking beer

Postby PeterH » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:56 am

And thank you for your replies too. The tea leaves on our shelf do look fairly dark, so I'll try Bob's way of lightening them. I have done much the same to ground foam to get rid of the bright look - you need to stir it often or it sets into lumps.

Overheard last time I was in the bush:
- What's that man doing mummy ?
- Gathering leaf litter
- Why mummy ?
- Probably to make scenery
- Why mummy ?
- He is probably a railway modeler. Gn15 by the look in his eyes
- Whats Gn15 mummy ?
- Shhh dear. Daddy will explain when you get older. Do you want an ice cream ?
Peter

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:27 am

I think it is what here in Aus. we call vynal paint.
I have always made a cuppa with my tea leaves before using them for scenary, that way most of the loose colouring is gone and it colours the bag to use elswhere (and besides I'm pretty tight :roll:).
.....WARNING....
Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.
1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.
Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......
Have a good one....John B.

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:58 am

Water based is acrylic or latex and oil based is just death in a tin! Never seen the point of ever using oil paints for modelling except on metal - until I used Windsor & Newton Burnt Umber watercolour paint on the rails. Two coats and I had to scrape it off the top surface with a sharp plastic edge. Probably too dark for representing actual rust but it looks good to me. Same with wood stains. I used a small bottle of Feast & Watson Walnut stain on my station fence and it also managed to stain the metal ferrule on the brush!!! Go figure. Could be useful for painting rails. Might try that later on the next layout module.

Getting back to the tea leaves. We drink only Dilmah loose leaf tea in this house so no bags but the last comment by Southpass makes me think the texture of the paper bag would make really good sacks etc? Anyone tried this?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby SOUTHPASS » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:35 am

The tarp in this picture is a tea bag. Dipped in the PVA/water mix then draped over.

.....WARNING....

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:51 am

[quote="SOUTHPASS"]The tarp in this picture is a tea bag. Dipped in the PVA/water mix then draped over.

Ah a tearp :P
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:45 am

Gnice. Gnew there would have to be a use for tea bags! Can't stand the taste personally so I will have to screw up my nose as I drink bag tea all in the name of art! :D
Ian Hodgkiss

The Steamy Pudding (in progress)

West of Worcester (in progress)

Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)

Brisbane, Australia

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:36 am

Artizen wrote:Gnice. Gnew there would have to be a use for tea bags! Can't stand the taste personally ...
Keep the bagged stuff for visitors. They may be suspicious of the sudden increase in invitations to come round for a brew but it will save you from having to drink it all. :twisted: :wink:

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:53 am

Southpass,
Tea bags, do you leave the contents in before using on model, or remove them, dry them out and use for other modelling effects?
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby SOUTHPASS » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:11 am

When you are a ex coffee addict ( 10 or 12 cups a day ) 1 cup of tea a day is plenty. If I had to brew it I would probably go back to coffee.
When my supply of material gets down I just put the used bags on a plate for a week or two untill they are totally dry. Tip the contents into bottle ready for use then open bag on 3 sides and spread out ready for use. I have not had any trouble with colour from tea leaves leaching out. The bags themselves seem quiet strong. I must try the idea of making sacks of produce from them.
.....WARNING....

PeterH
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby PeterH » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:53 am

The navvies have been on holiday, so no modelling (or internet !) for me. We went to NZs West Coast for a few days, and walked up Charming Creek, the route of a 3ft 6in gauge railway about 10 km long, which bought coal and timber down to the coast. The track runs up the side of a river, through bush, and the grade was supposedly up to 1 in 7. The track has remnants of the wood center rail, for braking.

There have been frequent rock falls in the 50 years since the trains ran:
For some reason, which I forget now, I decided to walk bare feet. Those stones are sharp.
Peter

PeterH
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby PeterH » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:31 am

I realised that my scenery will need to be the whole bush (=forest), not just the ground. I made this test piece to try to model a deep view through the trees in a few centimeters:
The trees are supposed to be manuka, a NZ native. It grows tall and spindly in groves and is one of the first trees to appear on cleared ground that is reverting to bush. The leaves are tiny - I figured it would be easy to model with a simple wire armature and ground foam leaves.

From back to front is black card, two layers of simplified flat trees and four '3-D' trees:
It doesn't hang together very well yet, the colours are wrong and I don't like the sisal 'grass'; but I am learning a lot.
Peter

Dallas_M
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Funky narrow gauge equipment!

Postby Dallas_M » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:36 am

John --

That tarp is quite convincing! Noted and saved ... thanks for the tip, tarp, tearp or whatever that was. :wink:

I've been playing with the use of unbleached coffee filters to make paper bags in 1/35 scale as shown above. This was made from an unused filter ... might have to try a used one and see how the coloring works out.
Cheers,
Dallas

Dallas Mallerich
Boulder Valley Models
www.bouldervalleymodels.com

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:14 pm

G'day Peter

I made this test piece to try to model a deep view through the trees in a few centimeters:
I think you have succeeded there Peter :D

Looks really good in the photos .... well done
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

demaine22
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Gnine

Postby demaine22 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:23 pm

Looks great with the dirt applied!
Playing around and modelling:
http://nookyworks.wordpress.com/

PeterH
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby PeterH » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:21 am

Hey ho, back to reality ... and it's good to be back.

I added a drain; a layer of dead vegetation (mostly bleached coconut fiber - plant pot liner); then ground foam as moss and small variegated plants. Fine foam looked too flat, but some coarse foam looks better.

Peter

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:27 am

Thats looking grand
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Return to “Modelling Matters”