Button-Hole mine.... a fantasy in Gn15

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15

Button-Hole mine.... a fantasy in Gn15

Postby Charlie Stewart » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Here follows a build I have just started as part of a challenge on another forum I participate in, as such much of this will be a "cut-and-paste" excersise here.

The Background...
My G/F has an obsession with buttons!!! yep all shapes & sizes but the colour hasto be green.. .. its just a button fetish (could be worse??? a lot worse eh???) so I was on the 'puter the other night talking out loud about this challenge of Geoff's and muttering some " if I was gonna enter, I would do...etc..etc..." when she proclaimed why dont you make me a button mine?????......

Well I thought buttons were made in factories but SWMBO assures me they are mined in tiny caves like Wookey Hole..... !!! Thus the title of "Button-Hole Mine" .... so Ok thats fine " but it has to include water love?" she says thats fine you can make a boat to take the buttons away in..... so OK but "its Gotta be about 250 sq inches love" she says thats fine you will have loads of room spare........ so here I am.... Bless her hahahahahaha...

Ok so the point of no return.... I now have a 20" x 12" piece of isulation cut and ready to start, 240 sq inches so well inside my quota for G scale (12mm/ft).

onto this massive blank canvas I want to fit a mine, 2 working lines, a wharfe with loading chute, a canal barge.... or a least PART of each of these to represent them......

Wish me luck???

Charlie
My YouTube videos

light travels faster than sound... thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth!!!

Arthur Inch
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Model Railways, DCC, Buildings and scenery

Re: Button-Hole mine.... a fantasy in Gn15

Postby Arthur Inch » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:50 pm

Charlie Stewart wrote:Wish me luck???

Ok done that what next? :wink:

Charlie love the idea and the preamble, will be watching with interest.

Does it all have to be on one level, perhaps multi level may be a way forward in accommodating all your requirements?

Best wishes for your venture..........

John
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”

The Abbot of Gnoring Abbey.....

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:42 pm

AGnother watcher here Charlie, noting what you hope to include, I would say that it has to be a Magic Button Hole Mine. :wink:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:54 pm

G,day....Charlie, when the buttons are mined do they have the holes in them or is there a processing plant for that. Also when my Iredium mine closed there was some holes left in the ground, perhaps I could ship them to you for conversion to button holes. :D
.....WARNING....
Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.
1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.
Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......
Have a good one....John B.

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:02 pm

'Four thousand holes in Blackburn Lancashire' sang the Beatles.

Looking forward to more as it develops.

bestest

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:24 pm

SOUTHPASS wrote:G,day....Charlie, when the buttons are mined do they have the holes in them or is there a processing plant for that. Also when my Iredium mine closed there was some holes left in the ground, perhaps I could ship them to you for conversion to button holes. :D

Well John, I've just consulted the "Button Expert" and her answer was a rather curt " what a silly question to ask...... of course the buttons are mined complete with there holes already in them... if they didnt have holes they would simply be DISCS !!!!" consider yourself well and truly told mate....

as far as sending some of your spare "holes" over here whilst the weight would be favourable with our crazy Royal Mail pricing strategy ..they also charge by size.... as you model in 1/24/g/n/15/16.5mm I'm afraid the high cost of shipping will make them prohibitive......

I've just had a good nights progress in the garage so just about to sort some photos out......

stay tuned,

Charlie
My YouTube videos

light travels faster than sound... thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth!!!

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:39 pm

Ok, Ok so I've now cut three pieces of Pink foam, glued them together and even done a trackplan LOLOLOL...
Top right will be down an incline/hidden from view as this is the "Button Mine", top left is a small sector plate, bottom will be a tipple at a canalside into a waiting barge, at the front left will be a ramshackle engine shed/store.

and next pictures show the stages of operation,

First the Buttons are loaded into the skip out of site down in the mine,

Then the tiny battery loco (TEMPORARILY underground Ernie yet again!!) moves out of the mine onto the sector plate...

The sector plate is then turned to the wharf track..

Then the loco pushes the loaded skip to the end where the skip is tipped, depositing the buttons into the waiting canal barge....

Then its a return back to the mine, and so on etc......

Just for a bit of variety there will be a small store/loco service point at the front left of the layout where a waggon or the loco can be parked up., for recharging the batteries....

Enjoy the fantasy,

Charlie
My YouTube videos

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:01 pm

G,day again Charlie....As luck would have it I had already sent one of the workers down to fetch one of holes. He was coming up the road with the hole in tow and missed the turnoff, so backed the truck and promptly fell down the hole. Now I have a wrecked truck in the bottom of the hole and a great bloody hole in the middle of the road that no one wants. :oops:
.....WARNING....

Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.

1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.

Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......

Have a good one....John B.

Adrian
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model railways including Gn15

Postby Adrian » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:51 pm

G'day Charlie

Enjoy the fantasy,

'Fantasy' :?: ............ And up to that point I thought that you was copying a prototype :!:

Cheers
Adrian Hoad
I might be daft but not stupid.

dieselwater
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Model railways, painting, guitar

Postby dieselwater » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:03 am

This is proper magic Charlie :D Love it.
Little old lines to somewhere.

David.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:58 am

I very much like the landing mast for freight airships in the rear of the layout.
So far I believed, buttons only grow on trees. Waiting to see the progress of the mine.

Have Fun

Juergen

rockershovel
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: narrow gauge industrial railways

Postby rockershovel » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:18 am

aren't holes shipped in "lay-flat" form http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFNx7YFw ... re=related ?
rambling miner

Arthur Inch
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Model Railways, DCC, Buildings and scenery

Postby Arthur Inch » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:14 pm

Hi Charlie,

A thoroughly absorbing read, truly amazed at how it all fits together in such a small space.

Charlie Stewart wrote:I've just consulted the "Button Expert" and her answer was a rather curt " what a silly question to ask...... of course the buttons are mined complete with their holes already in them... if they didn’t have holes they would simply be DISCS !!!!

Whist I hasten to query the " Button Expert's" wisdom on such a matter, but... :lol:

"Buttons with shanks have no holes in the button blank (the main part of the button) itself because they are not needed for sewing."

So it would in effect be feasible to mine buttons without holes, and they technically would still be buttons...... :lol:

Look forward to seeing more on your project...

John
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”

The Abbot of Gnoring Abbey.....

Imagineering
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: On30, Gn15, HO, N & T

Postby Imagineering » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:21 pm

rockershovel wrote:aren't holes shipped in "lay-flat" form http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFNx7YFw ... re=related ?

Watch that you don't fall into this one . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5_Msrdg ... ature=fvwp

Murray McKenzie

Modelling 1/2 Scale Gn15

"Every day I count wasted, in which there have been no trains". -- Nietzsche, (almost)

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:20 pm

A bit more....Today have carved the incline down into the mine, mocked the mine up roughly in some card....

Heres whtat I would like the mine entrance to be similar to.... This is a piccy I took at Apedale Heritage centre when I was exhibiting last year.....

Also got the "sector-plate" made and glued down ( ok..ok..some people might claim it is a CD in half a CD case..... but we know different dont we..??? hehehehehe)...

and from the front....

and as it was a reasonably clear day, managed to "borrow" John Southpass's helicopter for a near-overhead shot.....

Enjoy,

Charlie
My YouTube videos

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:11 am

Will whatever loco you are going to use for your layout handle that grade with a wagon or two? Voice of experience asking here.
Scott B

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:40 am

CD turntable, what looks about a #2 wye, yep, that's Gn15! :D

What have tests shown the curve needed to transition from grade to flat to be?
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:15 pm

scott b wrote:Will whatever loco you are going to use for your layout handle that grade with a wagon or two? Voice of experience asking here.

Cheers Scott. tests are about to start on Monday when kids go back but my thoughts are it will be far too steep!!!, I think I will have to use a ply trackbed and make less of an angle. But you dont know till you try eh????

Charlie

@ Forrest Curve from Grade to flat ??..... easy equation = about half the diameter of my knee ( the good one that is!!!).... does that sound enough like Gn15 logic for you???

Charlie
My YouTube videos

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Hi Charlie,
Who needs a loco??? :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXicbZs_dWQ
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Charlie Stewart
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Charlie Stewart » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:57 am

Oh I know John, watched your vid loads...that is truly Awesome... I'm gonna add a working incline to Barton Ings in the summer so will probably be "pestering" you some more on that !!!

Charlie
My YouTube videos

Mike Lee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways/Modelling

Postby Mike Lee » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:20 am

Superb idea John :idea: Its that good its almost worth while making a small mine layout just for the effect.

I have been looking for ideas of how to discreetly (hands-off) move wagons off a wagon turntable into a building, I think this is the solution. Like Charlie I think I might be 'pestering' you for more details.

Thanks for sharing :D

Regards Mike Lee.

rockershovel
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby rockershovel » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:37 pm

Mike Lee wrote:Superb idea John :idea: Its that good its almost worth while making a small mine layout just for the effect.

I have been looking for ideas of how to discreetly (hands-off) move wagons off a wagon turntable into a building, I think this is the solution. Like Charlie I think I might be 'pestering' you for more details.

Thanks for sharing :D

Regards Mike Lee.

colliery railways often used a technique which might be described as "bump shunting", the wagons on the ramp pushing the ones on the level forward - of course they are not coupled. Or, how about two locos - a rack-drive one on the ramp?
rambling miner

rockershovel
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby rockershovel » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:39 pm

Arthur Inch wrote:Hi Charlie,

A thoroughly absorbing read, truly amazed at how it all fits together in such a small space.

Charlie Stewart wrote:I've just consulted the "Button Expert" and her answer was a rather curt " what a silly question to ask...... of course the buttons are mined complete with their holes already in them... if they didn’t have holes they would simply be DISCS !!!!

Whist I hasten to query the " Button Expert's" wisdom on such a matter, but... :lol:

"Buttons with shanks have no holes in the button blank (the main part of the button) itself because they are not needed for sewing."

So it would in effect be feasible to mine buttons without holes, and they technically would still be buttons...... :lol:

Look forward to seeing more on your project...

John

aren't these called"bachelor buttons", presumably for use with "virgin wool"?
rambling miner

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:43 am

wow.
I go away for a long weekend and come back to find a new layout, and its already been half built!
I do like the idea...

rockershovel
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby rockershovel » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:42 am

the Apedale incline would certainly have been rope-hauled. The pad-eye for the haulage rope can be seen on the wagon to the left of the picture
rambling miner

Return to “Modelling Matters”