Gn15 project - "modern" nursery wagon

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow/'minimal' gauge, modelling in 1/16 scale on 16,5 mm track representing 10 1/4" gauge

Gn15 project - "modern" nursery wagon

Postby mad gerald » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:47 pm

G'evening all,

I had some thoughts regarding the usage of a nursery railway on 15" track and developed a more modern (?) looking prototype of a nursery wagon with an exchangable "cartridge", i. e. for 2 standardized fruit crates (as shown) ... or a bigger crate ... or split logs ... or with a water tank ... or with a power generator ...

In reality this wagon would be built with a metal framework, covered with metal sheet. I used styrene on this 1/22,5 version. The drawings I made on the computer, printed them on self-adhesive paper, cut out the parts and removed the self-adhesive paper. Then, again follwing Marc Reusser's recommendations, this low detailed prototype was coloured with 3 different colours of brown, applied with a sponge, followed by a coat of yellow colour. The first time in my life I tried the chipping technique, having applied 2 coats of hairspray before putting on the yellow colour on.

As a matching loco I would think about an AGV AL-3 like the one owned by Olov Kalderén ...

http://www.feldbahnmodellbau.de/gallery/image.php?album_id=4&image_id=228

http://www.feldbahnmodellbau.de/gallery/image.php?album_id=4&image_id=230

Kind regards

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: trains, photography, outdoor life.

Postby henrix72se » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi Gerald,

Any progress in this matter ?

/Henrik
I build Industrial light railways in 09 scale - http://Laurell.Today/

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow/'minimal' gauge, modelling in 1/16 scale on 16,5 mm track representing 10 1/4" gauge

Postby mad gerald » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Hej Henrik,

henrix72se wrote:Any progress in this matter ?

... nice you're asking ... 8)

... but not as such ... :? ... depending a little on my impression, that there seems to be only a little common interest ... ?!

It still looks like this (as I found an opportunity to show a picture, as my forum software seems to be far more actual than this one so no direct linking is possible):

I only thought that it would be more real to enlarge the upper surface a little bit so it would be possible to carry euro-pallets and palettized crates ... on a pallet like this one:

So stay tuned ... or visit my new website from time to time ... :D

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby henrix72se » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:37 am

keep us updated.

seems as a very nice project.

/Henrik

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:54 am

mad gerald wrote:Hej Henrik,

henrix72se wrote:Any progress in this matter ?

... nice you're asking ... 8)

... but not as such ... :? ... depending a little on my impression, that there seems to be only a little common interest ... ?!

I only thought that it would be more real to enlarge the upper surface a little bit so it would be possible to carry euro-pallets and palettized crates ... on a pallet like this one:

So stay tuned ... or visit my new website from time to time ... :D

Hey Gerald
Pssst!!! Gneed a forkie for that pallet???? :twisted:
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:56 am

Oztrainz wrote:Hey Gerald
Pssst!!! Gneed a forkie for that pallet???? :twisted:

... :lol: :lol: :lol: ...

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:42 am

Hi Gerald,

I like the overall idea but feel it looks a little bulky. I personally think the wagon would look better if it was about half it's current height.

Simon.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:43 am

I suppose, every business would be bancrupt within a few weeks, if they used such bulky and heavy equipment, only to transport two tiny crates.

Wheelbarrows are cheaper and more effective. These are made by Pola/Faller and are included in their potato market kit :

Have a look at Erik´s Greenhouse layout, to study effective transport solutions and excellent modelling.

Have Fun

Juergen

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:49 pm

KEG wrote: ... Have a look at Erik´s Greenhouse layout, to study effective transport solutions and excellent modelling ...

... just wondering ... :? ... haven't got some own work for reference? ... just bought stuff?

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:11 pm

Gerald,

Have you looked at Ian Holmes' Purespring watercress? I wondered if his basic wagons might add inspiration.

http://www.iholmes.com/pages/purespring/purespring.html

cheers

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:00 pm

Gerald,

I tried my hands on this some weeks ago. Had to buy the white metal axle boxes and wheels.

18 crates and 3 rabbits on a single Gn15 wagon. Business is blooming.

Have Fun

Juergen

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:17 pm

Chris Stockdale wrote: ... Have you looked at Ian Holmes' Purespring watercress? I wondered if his basic wagons might add inspiration.

http://www.iholmes.com/pages/purespring/purespring.html

... thanks for your additional input, Stockers ... but I was after something completely different while creating these "modern" wagons, i. e. the ones in Ian Thompson's layout Barnes' Woodyard ...

May be I'd have to increase the scale from 1:22,5 to 1:12 making these things looking the part ...?!?!?

KEG wrote:Gerald,

I tried my hands on this some weeks ago. Had to buy the white metal axle boxes and wheels.

18 crates and 3 rabbits on a single Gn15 wagon. Business is blooming.

... :lol: :lol: :lol: ... supporting your local easter bunny ... looks nice ...

Kind regards

rockershovel
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: narrow gauge industrial railways

Postby rockershovel » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:48 am

depends how modern you mean, but I'd tend to picture something like that as pallet-sized, quite likely with a simple flat top made of a plastic moulding or mesh like a supermarket goods trolly, the ones they wheel round by hand to fill the shelves
rambling miner

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:15 am

When thinking about transporting pallets on Gn15 wagons, it might be helpful, to know about its history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallet#History
The well known Euro-Palette, which was introduced 50 years ago, measure 800 x 1200 mm, which is within the loading gauge of 15 inch railroads.

Looking forward, what kind of load Gerald will transport on his heavyweight wagon.

Have Fun

Juergen

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:09 am

didn't know the exact measurements for the Euro pallet but that explains the dimensions of cardboard fruitbox 600mm by 400mm.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:50 pm

G'evening all,

While involved in the struggle of building a Feldbahn locomotive in 1/22,5 scale from brass, I decided to have something different during the holidays and pulled out the “Gn15 Modern Feldbahn Wagon” and overworked it.

This prototype construction is completely scratchbuild from stryrene. I made the drawings for flat surfaces/parts again on the PC, printed them on self-adhesive paper, applied them on styrene sheet (0,5mm thick) and cut out the parts and removed the self-adhesive paper. The styrene strips (various width and thickness) where cut to length with my Boehler circular saw. This time I used acetone to glue the parts together, just to avoid deformation caused by common plastic/modelling glue as happened to my Struppe Akkulok. The wagon finally was mounted to a Bachmann® arch bar freight truck.

The loading platform is in accordance with the dimensions of an Europalette, loading and unloading could be done with a forkliftsidewise. Other variations like a flatcar or agondola are imaginable, combined with various equipment as well as i. e. generator/compressor, water tank etc. which would make this type of wagon a multifunctional wagon for horticulture, light industrial or workshop purposes i. e. carpentry (palett factory) , winery, hospitals (laundry transport) etc. As a matching loco I still think about an AGV AL-3 *klick* like the one owned by Olov Kalderén.

Coming next will be the colouring and weathering …

Last edited by mad gerald on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby henrix72se » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:34 pm

Hi Gerald,

I always liked your designs, this is no exception!
Reminds me a bit about the hospital wagons there your avatar loco comes from.

/Henrik

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:19 am

Nice work, it has very clean lines. i'm looking forward to seeing it painted 8)
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Moronguhl
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 09 industrial diesel and battery locos, and track to run them on!

Postby Moronguhl » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:05 pm

Woah, beautiful work Gerald! Looking forward to seeing how this develops!
Christian Summers

We're gonna need a little rolling stock...and a lot of luck!

I used to have a project link here until the thread was deleted... :(

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Gerald

Postby Bilco » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:15 pm

Nice work, Gerald - love the clean styrene work - mine always looks grubby before I paint it, and then deliberately make it grubby!

Sorry to hear that you are struggling with the brass Feldbahn loco. How is the Leintz (sp) loco coming on? I harboured thoughts of converting yet another Ernie Inspection Car into something like one, but it never got any further.

Happy New Year.
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:45 am

... thanks guys ... 8)

henrix72se wrote:...Reminds me a bit about the hospital wagons there your avatar loco comes from...

... yes, they are - even if the coupling section looks a bit different and the loading platform is a bit higher ...

Bilco wrote:Nice work, Gerald - love the clean styrene work - mine always looks grubby before I paint it, and then deliberately make it grubby!

... was another reason I tried acetone instead of glue this time ...

Bilco wrote:Sorry to hear that you are struggling with the brass Feldbahn loco...

...not really serious, but a little bit tricky ...

Bilco wrote:... How is the Leintz (sp) loco coming on?

... still on hold for solving the deformation problems of the styrene, but got a lot of detailed photos of missing sections like axle boxes recently ... :D

Bilco wrote:... I harboured thoughts of converting yet another Ernie Inspection Car into something like one, but it never got any further.

... go ahead and give it a try - I think it would turn out to be a really nice one too!

Happy New Year ...

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:29 pm

G'evening all,

even though I turned meanwhile to another modelling project, the IR-controlled brass loco, I couldn't resist building another of these little Gn15 wagons, which are really fun to build ... :D

This version is more a kind of flat wagon, even it has low bulkheads, built from the same parts and in the same way. The bulkheads have the height of a pallette. The strips on the loading platform will prevent palletts from slipping sideways. Instead of common palletts I can imagine the transport of pallett-containers at some kind of commercial property or regarding the disposal of wastes ...

A few pictures more can be found *here*

henrix72se
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby henrix72se » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi Gerald,

This one looks very nice to.

I can see use for both versions. The new version with lower ends looks more modern and as you say for containers and such. The previous more from the time when still things were stored in boxes in all kind of sizes and was therefore transported on top of each others, needing the extra support.

If I was you I would make a string of both.

/Henrik

mad gerald
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby mad gerald » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:14 am

Hi Henrik,

thank you for dropping in ...

henrix72se wrote:... I can see use for both versions. The new version with lower ends looks more modern and as you say for containers and such. The previous more from the time when still things were stored in boxes in all kind of sizes and was therefore transported on top of each others, needing the extra support ...

... hmmmm ... I was in doubt, of which one to build a few more, but your suggestion ...

henrix72se wrote: ... If I was you I would make a string of both ...

... is even better: I'm going to build a couple of each version ... :D

Eventually anyone else with a further suggestion for another version?

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:45 pm

mad gerald wrote:Eventually anyone else with a further suggestion for another version?
Not sure what it should be intended to haul but how about one with wire mesh sides like a "basket" kind of thing?
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Return to “Modelling Matters”