Back from the Dead (or so it seems)

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Arthur Inch
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Model Railways, DCC, Buildings and scenery

Postby Arthur Inch » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi Tom,

Well my bargain of a couple of pounds from eBay turned up today, literally as bought............

Then couple of hours later..................... after a razor saw, knife, file and a few pieces of plastic card, and a short length of brass tube.

Still needs larger front and rear buffer beams, and a skirt on both sides would improve it's appearance.

Requires going over with wet & dry when the glue dries, otherwise it's a bit rough and ready, but the general gist can be seen of what can be done with a little imagination, small quantities of materials, and just a few hand tools.

As for the chassis itself, only given a clean up, dab of grease, and about 10 minutes running around.

Does need a little more TLC to improve the performance, with hindsight was perhaps not the best choice of a body, never the less, all in all not that bad for a blind purchase!
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”

The Abbot of Gnoring Abbey.....

kf4mat
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 modeling

Postby kf4mat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:16 am

Oztrainz wrote:Hi Tom,
some tear-down pics here
I hope that these might give some more inspiration,

Wow good info in those links, Thank-you!!

Tom

kf4mat
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby kf4mat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:27 am

Arthur Inch wrote:Hi Tom,

Well my bargain of a couple of pounds from eBay turned up today, literally as bought............

Dang I'm still waiting for mine......However my Aunt sent me a new calendar, which she does ever year, via Royal Mail. It just turned up today, opened and examined, then jammed back into another envelope with a note saying in was terorrist free. Thank-you Homeland Security.

Arthur Inch wrote: Then couple of hours later..................... after a razor saw, knife, file and a few pieces of plastic card, and a short length of brass tube.

Still needs larger front and rear buffer beams, and a skirt on both sides would improve it's appearance.

Requires going over with wet & dry when the glue dries, otherwise it's a bit rough and ready, but the general gist can be seen of what can be done with a little imagination, small quantities of materials, and just a few hand tools.

As for the chassis itself, only given a clean up, dab of grease, and about 10 minutes running around.

Does need a little more TLC to improve the performance, with hindsight was perhaps not the best choice of a body, never the less, all in all not that bad for a blind purchase!

Nice job! If mine ever shows up we will see what I can do with it. Can't say it will be worth a crap as it will be my first attempt at something like this but you have to start somewhere.

Tom

Arthur Inch
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Model Railways, DCC, Buildings and scenery

Postby Arthur Inch » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:53 am

kf4mat wrote: If mine ever shows up we will see what I can do with it. Can't say it will be worth a crap as it will be my first attempt at something like this but you have to start somewhere.Tom

Hi Tom,

Don't be too harsh on yourself, you have the right attitude to make start, have a go, you'll be fine, you may even surprise yourself, and do remember more or less anything goes.

Bit of a drag having Homeland Security opening packages, sure that holds up delivery of items to you.

Will be watching.................
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”

The Abbot of Gnoring Abbey.....

kf4mat
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby kf4mat » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:23 pm

And the wait goes on...... Still no sign of my engine so right now I'm going through all sorts of ideas and throwing 99.999% of them out.

Possible leaning to building this into a IC type shunter style thing; but then again I really like steam power so we'll see what wins in the end.

As an electrician I was playing with some copper wire yesterday, might be able to use some of that to represent the various types of tubing found on an engine. Granted the 12 gauge stuff I was bending around looks like it would be way to big, maybe drop down to 14 gauge and see what that looks like.

Tom waiting in the burg.

kf4mat
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby kf4mat » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:39 pm

Good Lord.......... I know the boat is slow but come on. How long does it take a pakage to get from the West Coast of England to the East Coast of the US?

kf4mat
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby kf4mat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:45 am

:shock: Still waiting for that slow boat to dock. I may really be dead when my loco arrives.

Rob R
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15, NG in general, Austin Sevens

Postby Rob R » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:22 am

Sounds like it's time to drop your supplier an email asking when and how it was sent and what happens next if it doesn't turn up. :(

Sure fire way to get it through the letterbox the next day :D

Rob
Rob Rayner
In the middle of the REAL Cheshire

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:55 am

Post between UK and USA always seems to take longer than it should. I have read/seen somewhere that this is tied up with various trade disputes. Post from China usually( I say that as I am currently waiting for something from China) arrives in UK faster than that from USA. Tend to find that when I contact supplier , item turns up following day, and that has also happened for items I posted to USA.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

kf4mat
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby kf4mat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:58 pm

Well, the e-mail I received from Hatton's said that my order was packed on Wednesday 2 March at 12:43 p.m. With priority shipping via the courier Target (City Link Mail Services)

Of Course that e-mail was sent back on 2 March as well. Funny thing is even when I was back in the Navy things (letters or whatnot) seemed to take forever to find me. At that time I joked that someone in the Post Office hated me, but now I wonder. :lol:

Tom, Loco-less in Fredericksburg

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:33 pm

2-3 weeks is not unusual. Maybe the post office doesn't like Hattons :lol:
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

underworld
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: narrow gauge everything...and standard gauge too!!!

Postby underworld » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:06 pm

Part of shipping depends on where you are....how close to a hub etc. Part also depends upon if US Customs knows who you are.... ie...if you buy a LOT of stuff. Back in the day, when I had money :shock: ....been a while.... I bought from other countries a lot. UK, much of Europe, Australia, New Zealand etc. After I had been buying for some time, my shipments got a lot faster. Stuff from UK, Germany, Switzerland would often arrive in 4 days....sometimes less. This was just normal airmail. A friend of mine works for a big shipper and he said that people would get on lists if they regularly bought the same type of stuff. So I think my stuff never even stopped at Customs. Not sure if it's changed in the last few years though. This would be going back about 4 years though.

underworld :mrgreen:
http://www.myspace.com/underworldimage
Currently on tour with Sleeper Cell

Sleeper Cell new album out soon!

Listen for me mornings 5:30-10 89Xradio.com
Shooting video for MTVs Making Of A Metal Band

Return to “Modelling Matters”